Slice of GTD Life with Emily

davidcoforum

Administrator
Staff member
Who knew that reading Getting Things Done would lead Emily to driving David Allen around Boston? After setting up and using her own system, she invited David to speak about GTD at her organization. That was a few years ago, and she's been encouraging colleagues to build in the GTD best practices ever since. You'll hear Emily describe her first system, and how she uses the app that she has been on in recent years. She's an inspiring example of productive work-life balance.

Video

Audio

bcmyers2112

Registered
I'm super-behind in watching these. I'm maybe putting this in one of my lists. I'm looking forward to learning a lot from other GTDers. I mean, I already am, through this forum. But these videos are in-depth and awesome. And I've never heard anyone say, "Yep, I'm done learning and growing." At least not anyone I'd want to emulate.

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
I'm super-behind in watching these. I'm maybe putting this in one of my lists. I'm looking forward to learning a lot from other GTDers. I mean, I already am, through this forum. But these videos are in-depth and awesome. And I've never heard anyone say, "Yep, I'm done learning and growing." At least not anyone I'd want to emulate.
That's why I always prefer audio over video. When listening to these (great) episodes, I can at the same time be doing mindless chores...

bcmyers2112

Registered
That's why I always prefer audio over video. When listening to these (great) episodes, I can at the same time be doing mindless chores...
Interesting. I prefer video because it's easier not to get distracted. I try to practice mindfulness in most things these days.

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
Interesting. I prefer video because it's easier not to get distracted. I try to practice mindfulness in most things these days.
Maybe our differences would show on a Kairos test result! :) That being said, I enjoy watching videos, too, but I never really feel that I have the time to spend on doing so if there's an audio-only alternative available... Also, I am originally a musician (and a hobby sound engineer), so it may not be so strange that I enjoy listening...

bcmyers2112

Registered
Maybe our differences would show on a Kairos test result! :) That being said, I enjoy watching videos, too, but I never really feel that I have the time to spend on doing so if there's an audio-only alternative available... Also, I am originally a musician (and a hobby sound engineer), so it may not be so strange that I enjoy listening...
My comment certainly wasn't intended as criticism. I love differences in people. They make life interesting and give us opportunities to grow.

TesTeq

Registered
I enjoy watching videos, too, but I never really feel that I have the time to spend on doing so if there's an audio-only alternative available...
@René Lie In most cases watching video is for me a waste of time and my eyes. Unless there's something relevant demonstrated. And I often listen using an awesome Overcast 1.5x speed mode which is much better than YouTube's poor effort to speed up video. In Overcast there's no audio degradation – it's fast and clear. @bcmyers2112

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
@René Lie In most cases watching video is for me a waste of time and my eyes. Unless there's something relevant demonstrated. And I often listen using an awesome Overcast 1.5x speed mode which is much better than YouTube's poor effort to speed up video. In Overcast there's no audio degradation – it's fast and clear. @bcmyers2112
@TesTeq I agree, the visual part has to add value. In these episodes it's nice to see people's faces, so I usually watch a minute or two before I switch over to audio! I use Podcast Addict, which seems to be working well, too.

bcmyers2112

Registered
I probably should have included the words "for me" between "easier" and "not." I wasn't trying to tell anyone else they *should* watch videos. I was just commenting why I like to do so. I'm glad we have the option.

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
I probably should have included the words "for me" between "easier" and "not." I wasn't trying to tell anyone else they *should* watch videos. I was just commenting why I like to do so. I'm glad we have the option.
I can only speak for myself, but I never read it as if you were trying to tell anyone what to do. No harm done!

bcmyers2112

Registered
To bring this back to the interview, my wife is a human services professional, her cousin has a special needs child, and at one time I worked for a corporate partner of New York State Industries For the Disabled (NYSID), which exists to promote hiring of individuals with disabilities at private-sector companies. In addition, my wife got her second (or third -- I can't remember) master's degree while we were together. So I found a fair amount to relate to.

I do not have a PhD. So my ability to relate ends there. :)

I really respect how she learned to embed GTD principles into the onboarding process for her employees without requiring them to formally adopt GTD. I've worked at organizations that have tried to use tools as a substitute for best practices, and that's always a waste of time. "Hey, use the tasks function in Teams" pretty much means people can generate more agreements with themselves and others that they can mismanage with greater velocity.

As I'm kinda flying without GTD at the moment, I can very much related to the unpleasant feeling of having a recurring thought about "I need to do..." multiple times. It doesn't feel good.

Hey! Her example was, "I need to call the plumber." OK, I'm only about 15 minutes in and need to take a pause, but I'm hoping there will be a more robust discussion about toilets. It's largely unexplored territory for GTD. It needs more focus.

Sigh. So this is what a Slice of GTD Life interview looks like when John interview an intelligent, well-adjusted human being. As opposed to someone like... me.

Hm. As I catch up on these interviews, I have a feeling I'm going to be feeling like this a lot.