Slice of GTD Life with Josh Mitchell

davidcoforum

Administrator
Staff member
Josh Mitchell has a longtime interest in paper planners. In this recording, he shares past and current versions of paper planners, including the type that David Allen used until the mid-1990s.

In addition to talking about several planners, Josh shares about pens, mechanical pencils, and highlighters that go with his system.

If you want more detail than what shows in the video, Josh has also helpfully included extensive, detailed photos of the paper planners for you to download.

Video

Audio

CJSullivan

Registered
Well! I just finished watching and this did not disappoint! It took me back to the early days! I remember being certified by Southworth to be able to teach Time/Design as a consultant at Polaroid. I remember those "MAP" (Managing Action and Projects) seminars (1995) that David gave and getting our system, complete with forms box (I still have mine and will take some pictures and hopefully upload them when I'm back at home!). It was so simple and elegant, and still I think the best way to learn the methodology. Over the years I've been attracted by shiny new digital toys, but I'm about to move into a new role at work and rekindle my focus on songwriting, so I knew a move back to paper would be just the grounding I need to move forward! Thanks, Josh -- feel free to reach out if you'd like to continue more of an in-depth conversation on all things Time/System/Design/Southworth/paper, etc.!

Ridwan

Registered
Well! I just finished watching and this did not disappoint! It took me back to the early days! I remember being certified by Southworth to be able to teach Time/Design as a consultant at Polaroid. I remember those "MAP" (Managing Action and Projects) seminars (1995) that David gave and getting our system, complete with forms box (I still have mine and will take some pictures and hopefully upload them when I'm back at home!). It was so simple and elegant, and still I think the best way to learn the methodology. Over the years I've been attracted by shiny new digital toys, but I'm about to move into a new role at work and rekindle my focus on songwriting, so I knew a move back to paper would be just the grounding I need to move forward! Thanks, Josh -- feel free to reach out if you'd like to continue more of an in-depth conversation on all things Time/System/Design/Southworth/paper, etc.!

Wow! That’s lotta history with GTD. Like John, I would love see some photos of your paper systems and maybe some old photos.

CJSullivan

Registered
Carolyn, I had no idea your history went back that far. Please do post photos if you find some. Speaking of Filofax, we have a recording to post in the next few days that references that, with David and two GTD coaches.
Yup, I go way back! I will definitely see what I can find tonight -- I'm in major Time/Design nostalgia right now! It was the most grounded I've ever felt, if I'm honest, and it helped me (well, the methodology did!) do some pretty sophisticated work at Polaroid, get married, move to Nashville, and a whole host of other things!

Josh Mitchell

Registered
Carolyn thank you for sharing! Love the history of these paper tools.

I was able to get my hands on an archival box which I’m now using as well.

Would love to see photos of others’ paper system using GTD.

Great video here from Julie for those who haven’t seen it:

CJSullivan

Registered
Love Julie's video. I have my Someday Maybes and other things in Evernote as well, and I do use the Reminders app for Errands and some in box capture, so it's cool to hear she, too, has a hybrid system! That being said, I just moved from my Filofax into one of my old Time Design binders and I couldn't be happier! I have some daily pages on the way from Filofax, but next year I plan to order the Time/Design Annual Daily setup from the German site...! I've tried to figure out how to upload my pictures, but even one zipped photo is too big... :-(

CJSullivan

Registered
Am re-listening to this, and I wondered, Josh -- did you see or find the flip-top plastic forms box? This was different than the archive box the annual setup came in. It allowed you to take all the daily, weekly, and monthly pages, as well as some select forms (Activities Checklists, Notes, Project Management forms, etc.) and store them in there. Then, during the weekly review, you'd take fresh ones from the forms box and then store the used ones (until you put them in the archive box for storage at year-end! So it was more of a daily repository... If you have hints as to what I can do to load my photos to this thread, let me know, because I'd love for you to see them!

snfuod

Registered
Josh Mitchell has a longtime interest in paper planners. In this recording, he shares past and current versions of paper planners, including the type that David Allen used until the mid-1990s.

In addition to talking about several planners, Josh shares about pens, mechanical pencils, and highlighters that go with his system.

If you want more detail than what shows in the video, Josh has also helpfully included extensive, detailed photos of the paper planners for you to download.

Video

Audio

Excellent video! I've watched it twice. It's rare to find good videos showcasing paper systems.