• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Smartpad2 and InkLink

Has anyone tried using the Seiko Smartpad2 or the Inklink system for making notes and having them record directly onto a PC or handheld. I am particularly interested in the ability to link up with my Pocket PC while at meetings or traveling?

What's your impression? How did it work - as good as you hoped? And are there really advantages over processing paper at a later time, or scanning paper notes when you get back to the office.

Thanks

Paul
 
I have used the SmartPad. I got it at a clearance price of about $35.00.
While it was cheap, I still consider it pretty much a waste of money.
It treats all entries as a graphic file, so you can't search for file contents. Also, it's big and bulky and it eats it's way through batteries rapidly so it's fairly expensive to maintain.
A neat novelty for a week, now it's acquiring dust like my NordicTrak (that's another story...)At least my NordicTrak doubles as a great clotheshanger.
:wink:
 
Thanks. Thats what I was wondering. I was tempted when I saw it (for the first time) last night. But it was $99. I almost got it on impulse but thought I'd wait and search the net for some reviews. They looked OK, but even a review isn't always real world use.

I am coming down more and more to using paper for note taking and then either processing the important stuff and tossing the rest or scanning in what I need for reference, or filing it somewhere relevant. It might be an extra stage when I get back to the office in terms of scanning (if I think I want access to it outside the office) but for a lot of times I can't see me taking the time to set up the Smartpad anyway and it doesn't look like it easily sits on your lap if you're at a conference etc either.

Cheers

Paul
 
Top