Someday/Maybe projects vs. goals? (10K feet vs. 40K feet horizons)

KC in KS

Registered
OK, so I'm spending New Year's Day revisiting my horizons, and I think I've identified something that has niggled at me for a couple of years now...

How do you determine the difference between a Someday/Maybe Project that you're not yet ready to commit to, and a goal with a 1-3 year horizon?

For example, I have one item: establish a family closet. It's not a big, life-shaping thing, but I just don't want to actually tackle it for another year or two... we have other things to do to the house, first. I think I've figured out it's really a Someday/Maybe... but now I'm wondering just how many other things I have mislabeled as Goals.

So, what criteria do you use to label something a 1-3 goal? I'm obviously very confused about them!

KC

cwoodgold

Registered
If I want to see actions that lead towards it on my current lists, I would consider it a goal. If I don't want to see those actions because I'm not intending to start doing it yet, I would consider it a someday/maybe.

I don't mind some somewhat someday-maybe-ish actions on some of my lists. Particularly with shopping lists: I might have an item on there for weeks or months, finally find myself in that type of store and read the list, decide not to buy that item then, but leave it on the list because I may want to re-consider it again next time I'm in that type of store. For whatever reason, those actions don't tend to bother me. With some other lists, I may like to keep them very clean, containing only actions I'm really ready to do now, because I feel more comfortable with the list that way.

I guess the GTD system doesn't tend to include the idea of planning to start something a year from now and finish it 3 years from now. Instead, you just put it on your someday/maybe list, consider it each week, then one week decide to start doing it. However, I think it can make sense to plan a starting date ahead of time -- or to plan starting conditions, for example planning to start one project when a certain other project is finished (so you'll presumably have time available).

Does GTD address the situation where someone keeps wanting to do something "someday" but never feels like starting it now? Something that would make life easier, and that takes a lot more work in the long run if you don't do it.

Folke

Registered
I agree with cwoodgold, but I might add:

KC in KS;112079 said:
How do you determine the difference between a Someday/Maybe Project that you're not yet ready to commit to, and a goal with a 1-3 year horizon?

For me it has nothing whatsoever to do with the timeframe. And they are not mutually exclusive.

A Someday/Maybe thing, to me, is a pure Maybe thing. Something that I am simply not sure I will ever do it or even try to do. (And that makes it "someday maybe" also in a timing sense.)

A Goal, to me (30k objective), is a "super project" / "strategic effort". These big things typically take quite some time, and may "contain" a bunch of 10k projects.

KC in KS;112079 said:
For example, I have one item: establish a family closet. It's not a big, life-shaping thing, but I just don't want to actually tackle it for another year or two... we have other things to do to the house, first. I think I've figured out it's really a Someday/Maybe... but now I'm wondering just how many other things I have mislabeled as Goals.

I'd say that's definitely not big enough to be a Goal (not for me, anyway). It is probably best treated as a Someday/Maybe task (action or project), just as you say. Alternatively, if you mean literally that there are other things that NEED to be done first before you even COULD get it done (not just a matter of prioritization) you could treat it as a subsequent action/subproject within a larger project (or possibly even a goal) called perhaps something like "Establish a first-class home". Or if it is dependent on something time-based, such as your children having moved out, you could see it as a Tickler file item and decide to consider it afresh on a given date.

cwoodgold;112082 said:
I don't mind some somewhat someday-maybe-ish actions on some of my lists. Particularly with shopping lists: I might have an item on there for weeks or months, finally find myself in that type of store and read the list, decide not to buy that item then, but leave it on the list because I may want to re-consider it again next time I'm in that type of store. For whatever reason, those actions don't tend to bother me. With some other lists, I may like to keep them very clean, containing only actions I'm really ready to do now, because I feel more comfortable with the list that way.

I'd say the implied action here is in fact a true next action, something you are not unsure about at all. This next action is: "Take another look at that thing (and see whether I want to buy it)". :D

Roger

Registered
I agree completely with everything Folke says up there; just wanted to mention that.

cwoodgold;112082 said:
I guess the GTD system doesn't tend to include the idea of planning to start something a year from now and finish it 3 years from now.

Bring-Forward works pretty well for this. I've stretched mine out so it covers years into the future, pretty much exactly for this sort of reason.

Does GTD address the situation where someone keeps wanting to do something "someday" but never feels like starting it now? Something that would make life easier, and that takes a lot more work in the long run if you don't do it.

Sort of, but mostly this reminds me that I have Something Important to Say about the whole topic of priorities in GTD, which I suppose I should get around to writing.

In the meantime, pg 79 of GTD with its section on "Need More to Be Happening?" covers this ground pretty well.

Cheers,
Roger

Oogiem

Registered
cwoodgold;112082 said:
I guess the GTD system doesn't tend to include the idea of planning to start something a year from now and finish it 3 years from now.

I don't know that I agree with that, I've had projects that I've been managing in GTD that were started over 30 years ago by my mother that I inherited. They got put into GTD 5 years ago and they won't be done for probably another 2-3 years at best. We are actively working on them right now.

There is a significant number of my projects that span multiple years that I manage in GTD.

They are separate from the someday maybe projects that I have not started or am not committed to yet.

RomanS

Registered
So, what criteria do you use to label something a 1-3 goal? I'm obviously very confused about them!
I just came across this discussion. Even though it is a few years old, I will still allow myself to reply. David Allen writes in "Making It All Work" (p. 236): "Any project that ist likely to take longer than a year to finish should be parked in this category [goals]. The reason for that one-year time frame is based purely on how often you think you ought to reexamine your progress. If you really need to check the status on an item weekly to feel comfortable, I would call it a project and include it in that grouping. If you can honestly conclude that you only need to reassess your position on a monthly or quarterly basis, then you would most likely want to categorize it as a thirty-tousand-feet item, commonly referred to as a goal or objective."

gtdstudente

Registered
I just came across this discussion. Even though it is a few years old, I will still allow myself to reply. David Allen writes in "Making It All Work" (p. 236): "Any project that ist likely to take longer than a year to finish should be parked in this category [goals]. The reason for that one-year time frame is based purely on how often you think you ought to reexamine your progress. If you really need to check the status on an item weekly to feel comfortable, I would call it a project and include it in that grouping. If you can honestly conclude that you only need to reassess your position on a monthly or quarterly basis, then you would most likely want to categorize it as a thirty-tousand-feet item, commonly referred to as a goal or objective."
On this end . . .

1. Without exception, all Horizons, Goals, Projects have appropriate rigorously thought-thorough Objectives, Principles, and Purposes as GTD expressed in previous post because GTD on this end is understood and preferred for . . . 'Flowing Focus' . . . versus . . . 'Aimlessly Floating'

2. All Horizons, Goals, Projects . . . meanwhile, usually present to either add a future means to one's life for better living for all involved, and just as often, remove a future means from one's life for better living for all involved . . . are appropriately Organized through their General Areas-of-Focus . . . which also have appropriate rigorously thought-thorough Objectives, Principles, and Purposes as also GTD expressed in previous post . . . that 'owns' the Horizon, Goal, or Project without any time-distinctions for more vertically dynamic alignment and interaction according to the appropriate General Areas-of-Focus

In regards to Areas-of-Focus, and what might reasonably seem to be an excessive digression, life on this end currently has Five General Areas-of-Focus which could potentially be reduced to Four General Areas-of-Focus along with Five particular Areas-of-Focus that are always operating under the auspices of the Five General Areas-of-Focus.

Admittedly, 5 x 5 expresses a '25 Operative Matrices' might seem like a lot, however, limiting life's seemingly infinite variables to 25 Operative Matrices sounds very good on this end and repeated often enough to become second-nature in relatively short order to go through life's 'infinite' mine-fields/surprises while greatly reducing the many possible self-sabotaging possibilities that also seem to stealthily present themselves making the '25 Operative Matrices' a very worthwhile 'life analog' to help 'demystifying/uncovering' life's seemingly 'Infinite [combination] Matrices' for good living management.

Lastly, this hopefully welcomed Areas-of-Focus 'digression' . . . while the Five General Areas-of-Focus could potentially be reduced to Four General Areas-of-Focus, however, the Five Particular Areas-of-Focus are irreducible and, as such, reduce a '25 Operative Matrices' by a seemingly significant 20% to a '20 Operative Matrices' . . . seems sadly worthwhile . . . se la vi

3. All Horizons, Goals, Projects must have a Next Action after the Weekly Review has been fulfilled

4. If after the Weekly Review any Horizon, Goal, or Project is, intentionally or intentionally, exist without a Next Action then the particular Horizon, Goal, or Project, has by default, 'moved itself' to an appropriate Someday/Maybe Areas-of-Focus List

Hope this offers you or any other fellow GTDers' GTD value and any 'GTD thinking' that can make the above better or easier would be most GTD appreciated, which, by the way, is why all four statements above end without 'periods'. Thank you with the possibility of additional post editing

GTD Thank you very GTD much :)

Ps. To all the good mothers . . . along with those who mustered their best and GTDer mother's out there . . . living and passed . . . Blessed / Happy Mother's Day . . . Everyday . . . thank you . . . we self-evidently only exist through you . . . thank you very much !

Last edited:

FocusGuy

Registered
OK, so I'm spending New Year's Day revisiting my horizons, and I think I've identified something that has niggled at me for a couple of years now...

KC
i try to make it simple.

an horizon is for me a meta project. it can be more detailed depending on the horizons.

on omnifocus it is a simple guidline list of things parked by horizons but I also use notes.

a project is a one day to one year goal. It is a short result to obtain which belong to something higher included in my horizons. If i need to review it within this week> year it goes into my areas of focus inside my active folder project in omnifocus

if it is something higher than a project it goes into my horizons folder then into my horizons from h2 (maintain) to h5 (Principle) i follow david allen horizon purpose, vision, goals, area... and detail little by little.

each subject goes into each horizon and from global (bird eye) to focus (details)

for reviewing i use my checklists. Eg review my h3

i adjust my horizons regularly According to my life.

Last edited: