Someday/maybe

alevici

Registered
In the last weeks I started moving more actions in my Someday/maybe list and I like this because I can focus more on what I need to engage.
The result is that now my someday/maybe list is getting longer and somehow hard to review.
How many actions you have there? Do you organize some way it? Do you use context for the task in one day maybe?

Gardener

Registered
There are countless ways to organize the Someday/Maybe population:

- Categories. Books to Read, Movies to See, Features to Code, etc. Categories can often be treated in a one done/one out way--for example, only after you finish the last book do you scan and maybe re-order and clean up the Books to Read list.

- Review frequency. Review Soon, Review Monthly, Review Quarterly, Review Annually.

- Tickler items. If you have a reliable tickler system, there are probably some items that you can just ignore until the tickler comes up. Sure, you probably want to look at it once in a while, but not weekly.

- Projects versus project support material. Maybe you have a great idea for a new piece of software to write. Maybe you have thoughts about it all the time. You don't need to review those notes until you're ready to do the project. So the project can be one item in your lists, not dozens of items--you can store the project support material somewhere else.

For me, someday/maybe items are rarely populated with actions or contexts--they would only be populated if I expect to do them very soon, or if they were recently active and I temporarily demoted them.

Oogiem

Registered
The result is that now my someday/maybe list is getting longer and somehow hard to review.
How many actions you have there? Do you organize some way it? Do you use context for the task in one day maybe?
I keep all my someday/maybe items that are not very well defined in text files in DEVONThink. I have them roughly organized by areas of focus, subsets of certain areas for example I have an AOF of Archivist and I have a S/M List of Scrapbooks I want to create. Similarly I have separate lists for Books, Books-Mysteries, Books_Travel and Books-Science Fiction I want to buy and read. I have 68 different S/M Lists.

Then I keep folders of about 100 S/M projects that have more info than 1 or 2 lines in a text file or are partially done or I have significant project support material for them.

So my total number of S/M Projects is something over 2000 but less than 2500.

I don't review them all weekly, but I do review every one of the at least quarterly.