Something to write with?

S

saaly182

I'm starting GTD. One step I've taken is simply carrying a paper 3"x5" pocket notebook on me. Just jotting down "in" as it pops into my brain is already stress-reducing.

The problem I'm encountering is having something to write with! I typically don't wear shirts with pockets. I find it easy to keep the small notebook in my pants pocket, but a regular sized ballpoint pen isn't pants-pocket friendly. Where can I get pens that are no longer than a car key? I checked Staples, but no luck. Little golf pencils don't appeal to me -- really looking for a pen.

severance1970

Registered
The Rotring Expandable Pen, available from the David Allen Co's product page, will fit in wallets specialized for notetaking. I use it in conjunction with the Wenger Mini Folio, a standard-sized wallet that can accommodate a small notepad, the Rotring Pen, and a number of credit/ID cards.

The Rotring isn't as small as a key, but it virtually disappears in the wallet. Works great.

J

Jestre

I carry a small bullet model Fisher Space Pen in a mission wallet in my front pocket (along with a small flashlight, biz cards, etc). The pen is a tad longer than a key when closed, and when the top is posted, it is a good usable length.

mcogilvie

Registered
Another very small pen

I don't know if they are still available, but a year or so ago you could get a PDA stylus that was also a pen. Very small and slender indeed, although longer than a house key. I have one in a 3x5 notecard wallet in the pen slot.

Mike

S

saaly182

Thanks for the responses. Once I googled for "expandable pen" and "mini pen" I started finding what I wanted. In fact, after seeing some on the web, I got inspired to try a homemade solution. I took a standard el-cheapo Bic disposable pen, pulled it apart with small pliers, and cut it in half with heavy-duty scissors. I replaced the plastic end cap onto the shortened pen so it looks ok. And of course the ink has to be half-gone already.

39693038.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/saalwaechter/image/39693038

randystokes

Registered
I already have a couple of the Rotring expandable pens (I wore out the first Notetaker wallet I bought from The David Allen Company, which is how I ended up with two pens . . .) But, I just saw a new pen made by Zebra, which is expandable like the Rotring. It's much less expensive than the Rotring, and in fact comes in a two-pack. I saw them -- and bought a two-pack -- at OfficeMax. I don't see the pen on their website, but I just bought it in-store in the last week or so. I can't remember the exact price, but it couldn't have been more than $10 or so for the two-pack (or else I wouldn't have bought it . . .)

They work great. They have a clip, and expand to full size, like the Rotring, so you don't have to write with some stubby little pen.

Randy

severance1970

Registered
On the strength of randystokes' tip I went into an OfficeMax and picked up a two-pack of Zebra telescopic pens. The Rotring is sexier, so it's staying in my wallet, but the Zebras are a great value. The two-pack was $4.99, and it includes two refills! Great bang for the buck.

B

blackbeardrrr

wallet pens

Greetings,

I'm new here, and a new reader of GTD. I enjoy the productive forums here!

Anyway, I was thinking of purchasing a pen for myself. I thought some of the ones above were two thick to fit in my wallet. I was thinking of buying these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=7279&item=6512872291&rd=1

But it comes as a set of 12 of them. Basically, I was wondering if anyone would want to buy some (for the price of shipping, plus some low price for the pen) - since I sure as heck can't use 12 pens!

I mean, they seem good enough, right? 3 1/8" would fit in my wallet.

So, would anyone consider this?

Just to make sure: I am *NOT* the seller of this item on ebay. I just want to see if some people would want my extras, if I bought the 12 pens.

Reply if you're interested!

Thanks guys! These boards are so helpful!

S

SteadyEdd

For anyone in the UK then Argos are a great source of small pens. Not to buy but the accidentally fall into your pocket as you're filling out your purchase slip :wink:

Edward

S

SteadyEdd

For anyone in the UK then Argos are a great source of small pens. Not to buy but the accidentally fall into your pocket as you're filling out your purchase slip :wink:

Edward

B

blackbeardrrr

wallet pens

Hey guys,

Just an update on that ebay thing.

I asked the seller how thick the pens were, and he said that they were 1/4" in diameter. That's a bit thinner than a #2 pencil.

I think I'm going to order them, and then post a review of them here, and possibly more/better pictures. Would anyone be interested in this?

Thanks!
-Paul

S

saaly182

thornrise said:
How does this not leak??

Referring to the homemade "resized" Bic pen...

It doesn't leak for two reasons: 1) I used an older pen in which ink was already partially consumed, so I didn't cut into ink, and 2) I put the regular end-cap back on (opposite the writing end).

davefletcher

Registered
Pens, small

I use a "bullet' pen by Fisher Space Pen company. It's small enough to fit in my wallet but is a decent size pen. Alternatively, Ion makes a bigger one that fits on a lanyard or consider a small swiss army knife with a pen built in.

Levernger makes a neat 3x5 card holder that holds a pen, but it's a tight fit in a shirt pocket

cellmatrix

Registered
pens to write with

I use the Levenger pocket briefcase and love it, it is very easy to write down stuff.

I tried to use the fisher space pen, and it is great, except you have to hold the pocket briefcase, or your notepad and with the same hand juggle opening the space pen cap and then placing the cap onto the other side of the pen and then write and then juggle again to place the cap back on and then place the pen back.

Lot of work, especially if you are standing.

I find that the mont blanc Mozart pen fits very nicely in the pocket briefcase, and would be compact enough to fit into many regular wallet notepads too I suspect. I love the pen, with one hand you can retract and open it while holding the notepad in your other hand. This makes writing stuff down a snap.

The same goes for the Rotring pen in David's package, you can open and shut it with one hand and this facillitates your ability to write stuff down.

Problem with the montblanc and rotring are that they are expensive, the montblanc much more so. If you want an inexpensive retractible pen that you can open with one hand, and that would fit in most notepad wallets try the zebra retractible, it is less than 10 dollars and works quite well, here is an online link:

http://www.zebrapen.com/ball-tele.html

Walter upstate

Registered
Gameboy70 said:
On the strength of randystokes' tip I went into an OfficeMax and picked up a two-pack of Zebra telescopic pens. The Rotring is sexier, so it's staying in my wallet, but the Zebras are a great value. The two-pack was $4.99, and it includes two refills! Great bang for the buck.

I have used the Zebras for several months now and find them very useful. They fit easily in my pants pocket and the only problem is getting people to return one once they ask to borrow a pen. :D

G

golpira

cross ion

I got hooked on the Cross Ion several years ago. I have 2 that I keep on my desk (red and black) and a black one that I keep with my hipster.

The pen is 3.5 inches closed, 4.25 inches opened. Very small, convenient, and it writes great.

The cost about $20, ink refills are about $4.