sucked in the web - stay focused

jodha

Registered
Hoi,

I have been listening to the telesiminar (I burned it on a cd to put in the car - It went just on one cd (that was cool)).

There was one question on which I have a solution which works for me. It was the question of Simon Thomas. How do you stay focused.

I use a little clock (it's one by hanhart we use it on our company if a division wants to know were people put their time in it is a sort of auto multi moment snapshot - if you want more information aboyt that tool let me lnow).

I use it for two reasons.

First
Suppose I have 20 minutes before I have to go to a meeting, i put in 12 minutes and it starts to countdown. I put in 12 minutes because for me 12 minutes timespan I was I can focus. After that I try to do something different fo a couple minutes. Suppose I still have 5 minutes before the meeting I put in 5 minutes and the countdown starts again. I started to do this because I noticed that I was looking 5 to 6 times at the clock on the wall. So my head was not completly empty. In doing this countdowndrill I look less at the clock.

Secondly

I use it when i surf the web (I'm an Intp/j (mbti)person - which makes that I'm easy tricked into new stuff) So I put in my 12 minute focusrule. It's possible that I get on sites which are fun but I wan't looking for. But the maximal timespan is 10 minutes.

It works fine for me.

I think that piece of bubble gum is mine; :razz:

Ps It was hot in Europe too

tried to put in a foto of the hanhart don't know if it will be visible

DavidAllen

GTD Connect
Great point about what systems can do better...

There is still quite a bit of "labor-intensity" for our minds that can be automated, the more we really get this process. You've hit on one of them - how can I relieve my mind of the job of having to keep track of the time? There are many more opportunities to find (or create) some cool tools in this regard - not overcomplicating GTD (which is a seductive trap) but in truly freeing the mind for bigger and better things... thanks for the post. - David

pixlz

Registered
Time issues

Hi

I have a "Motivador" which is designed to vibrate at regular intervals and remind the wearer (it has a small beltclip) to either do something or not do something e.g. improve posture.

I am a trainer and use it to time my sessions and change the mode of delivery in order to improve recall. I don't need to look at a watch or clock and the delegates are unaware I am using it.

(I also use it to time my dinner)
David - Thanks for an excellent resource
Sharon

I

isaco

More information please

pixlz said:
Hi

I have a "Motivador" which is designed to vibrate at regular intervals and remind the wearer (it has a small beltclip) to either do something or not do something e.g. improve posture.

I am a trainer and use it to time my sessions and change the mode of delivery in order to improve recall. I don't need to look at a watch or clock and the delegates are unaware I am using it.

(I also use it to time my dinner)
David - Thanks for an excellent resource
Sharon

I would like to know more about these gadgets that people are using. This motivator and the clock. the "Motivador" is what exactly? How do I search for such a product? It sounds like just the sort of thing I need.

I introduced the use of timers into our meetings and they have tremendously improved our focus and use of time. We get our meetings done in a quarter of the time or less. Not because we rush but because we really did waste that much time before. Of course, with GTD, communications are clear & constant and the need to meet has been curtail as well so there you have it.

I