Swift To-Do List?

javacafe

Registered
I am new here. Please correct me if I breach etiquette in any way, and let me know.

Recently, I discovered Evernote (EN) in my quest to tame the paper tiger. I have been using it in conjunction with a Fuji ScanSnap for a about a month now, and I am in love with the setup. Now, it is time for me to incorporate an effective GTD system. I am almost done reading the GTD book (by DA). So, I am still exploring software alternatives for that part of the game.

I know that there are many who espouse using EN for GTD (most famously, The Secret Weapon). However, in my view (and as the makers of EN themselves admit), it is a forced fit. I guess it will work, but only after vigorously beating it into shape. These are just my impressions; I could be wrong.

So, I began to look around for GTD-specific software that will work across my desktop and laptop machines (Windows), my iPad, and my Android phone (which EN does like a champ). Wunderlist and Astrid come close . . . but they don't quite leave my fully satisfied.

Just recently, I "bought" a free copy of a to-do software, called Swift To List (through http://bitsdujour.com). I had not heard of Swift before. But, just after installing it, I am very impressed by how much customization it is capable of! I am still playing with it. So, I don't know where landmines may be hidden.

My question is, "Have any of you used this?" They have a 30-day free trial, three different versions, and features that appear to be very impressive at first glance. They say they have apps to sync with mobile devices. But, I have not explored that aspect of it yet. One problem with that software is that it is expensive! But, my GTD efforts are quite high in my priority of things right now.

Anyhow, I am not affiliated with them in any way, except as a customer. So, please do not construe my question as a disguised marketing effort. I searched for "Swift To-Do" on this Forum, and did not find anything.

If you have thoughts about this, would you share them please?

If you are curious, this application can be found at: http://www.dextronet.com/ . Also, check out the following pages:

http://www.dextronet.com/swift-to-do-list-software/editions

http://www.dextronet.com/swift-to-do-list-software/features

Thank you for your attention.

~ JC ~

OF user

Registered
Swift

Most Windows users are either into Cloud based software or most likely using Outlook. Not too many posts regarding Windows-based software other than Outlook or the Outlook plugin.

DenaDahilig

Registered
I'm not familiar with Swift-To-Do, but I've found some great free or nearly free GTD-esque software out there, so I encourage you to try, try, try before you buy. Ironically, I ultimately came back to paper. Doh! ;)

javacafe;106909 said:
Recently, I discovered Evernote (EN) in my quest to tame the paper tiger. I have been using it in conjunction with a Fuji ScanSnap for a about a month now, and I am in love with the setup... I know that there are many who espouse using EN for GTD (most famously, The Secret Weapon). However, in my view (and as the makers of EN themselves admit), it is a forced fit. I guess it will work, but only after vigorously beating it into shape. These are just my impressions; I could be wrong.

I share your impressions, JC! I love Evernote... a lot... but I only use it to store reference materials for easy retrieval, not for core GTD use. One of our members, enyonam, writes extensively about Evernote integration on her blog (enyonam.com), and her implementation has a certain elegance that I'm envious of! There's also great info here on the forums from Connect members who use Evernote to different degrees. Maybe you'll find a happy medium in there somewhere.

Good luck, and welcome to the forums!

Dena

PeterW

Registered
I just took a look at Swift, hadn't heard of it before.

It looks a bit dated and loaded heavily with fields and features that might slow you down. Keeping things simple is a good idea if you're starting out with GTD. And I can't see any mobile or cloud versions that you can sync with. That would be a problem for me - I want to be able to access my lists wherever I am.

Swift reminds me of another Windows app named TaskMerlin. TM may be a better option if you really want a native Windows app because it can at least sync with Google tasks, thus giving you a mobile option.

Back when my job required me to use a Windows computer, I favoured using cloud-based solutions that also had a smartphone app, e.g. Toodledo and Appigo Todo.

bcmyers2112

Registered
I haven't used Swift To-Do but it's quite expensive compared with other similar products. I would question whether the features are worth the price.

Besides, what list manager you choose is less important than knowing what to put on your lists. If you apply the GTD process diligently, even plain sheets of paper in folders can make a great list manager.

One benefit of using Evernote as your list manager is that you're already familiar with it and your lists can be available on a PC, Mac, and any mobile device. The David Allen Company sells a guide for setting up Evernote for GTD that I've used myself, and it only took me about 15 minutes to implement the suggestions. It's only $10 and well worth the price: https://gettingthingsdone.com/store/product.php?productid=16953&cat=263&page=

However you choose to store your lists, just make sure it's something easy to use, allows sorting of list items by type (projects, waiting for, someday maybe, and next actions by context), and easily portable. I've found that the advanced features of many software products that purport to be GTD solutions fail to live up to their promises of making GTD any easier. Ultimately it's still about transforming stuff into something meaningful, and until anyone comes up with an AI that can do it for us, your main GTD app will always be your brain.

(Also if they do come up with an AI that can do our thinking, I'd be very concerned about it going all Skynet or Matrix on us.)

SiobhanBR

Registered
If you are just getting started with GTD I would stick to something you know. Paper works great, but Evernote works great too and in a similar way. I've been using it for my personal GTD system for a while now and it is so simple. Just create a notebook for each list and put them in a notebook stack called GTD. Then each entry in each notebook is a task. I find it so easy to browse down each list to see what I've got going on.

I second getting the "Evernote for GTD" from David Allen Company. Great guide to using Evernote for GTD.

Once you've got an idea of how GTD will work for you, you may want to look around for some other kind of system. Or not. I agree that most of the bells and whistles are not needed and are difficult to keep up.

enyonam

Registered
I am also an Evernote user and I have to say one of the things about Evernote is that it is not a workflow-type tool AND there are a 101 ways to configure it. It's its flexible that I think is part of what makes it work for so many use cases. But yes, because it is not specifically designed for GTD and because it's not a workflow engine it can sometimes feel like it's not a natural fit.

I think I tried 6 or 7 ways before I settled on my incarnation of Evernote GTD ... which I haven't seen anywhere else by the way. The first few were total flops for me! I think I lasted 2 hours on the second attempt ;) But now Evernote has now been the best GTD tool I have used to date particularly because it's a one-stop tool for both list manager and so much of my reference and routines. I say it really depends on the configuration you use.

I haven't heard of Swift To-Do (but not a Windows user), but I would say the important thing is to dump in some projects and task and see how it works for a day or two before settling on any tool.

I also blogged about how I select tools and maybe that helps you: http://enyonam.com/e0073-select-new-productivity-application/

Cheers, Enyo
www.enyonam.com

andrewjohn1317

Registered
i am sure for this windows are in the way of approaching this would be to have the project plan - if not in writing, then in head-knowledge - with the items: a) purpose b) success outcome d) milestones and next actions etc. The natural planning model!