• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Switch to OmniFocus?

mcogilvie;112363 said:
In the end, I was repulsed by the book and can't recommend it. Perhaps if you want or need the heavy structure it provides, then it may be a good book for you. I think it subverts the radical simplicity toward which GTD aims.

I liked the structure because it helped me quickly pick up the parts of OmniFocus that weren't very intuitive for me. Plus, the way the books is written makes it a very easy reference guide when I need to refresh myself on a specific OmniFocus tool or shortcut key.

I can appreciate your opinion, though. I never thought of it that way, but the structure of the book is heavier than GTD. Perhaps my field of IT & graphic design has made me used to heavy-handed manuals!
 
mcogilvie;112363 said:
In the end, I was repulsed by the book and can't recommend it. Perhaps if you want or need the heavy structure it provides, then it may be a good book for you. I think it subverts the radical simplicity toward which GTD aims.

Interesting, I found the book highly useful, but I'm also a computer software person at heart. I don't implement my GTD system in Omnifocus entirely as the book suggests but I too use it like a manual, for features and tips when I need them.

For me structure is good, in general more structure makes me more comfortable. I don't handle loose ends well at all.
 
Apologies for dredging up this old thread, but I just wanted to say that I have now switched over to Omnifocus and wanted to thank everyone who contributed their comments and help.

The new job I started in December last year quickly swamped me in terms of time, so it was easier to stay with the GTD system I was using (Appigo Todo). I am now taking my first vacation so have had the time to look at OF again. And a few issues with Appigo have helped push me to look at changing systems.

I have all my projects and tasks entered, but still very much a newbie and learning my way around. I do appreciate the added power and features that I've not had before, and looking forward to mastering the system over time.
 
Apologies for dredging up this old thread, but I just wanted to say that I have now switched over to Omnifocus and wanted to thank everyone who contributed their comments and help.

The new job I started in December last year quickly swamped me in terms of time, so it was easier to stay with the GTD system I was using (Appigo Todo). I am now taking my first vacation so have had the time to look at OF again. And a few issues with Appigo have helped push me to look at changing systems.

I have all my projects and tasks entered, but still very much a newbie and learning my way around. I do appreciate the added power and features that I've not had before, and looking forward to mastering the system over time.
 
Top