Switch to OmniFocus?

BRSaxon

Registered
mcogilvie;112363 said:
In the end, I was repulsed by the book and can't recommend it. Perhaps if you want or need the heavy structure it provides, then it may be a good book for you. I think it subverts the radical simplicity toward which GTD aims.

I liked the structure because it helped me quickly pick up the parts of OmniFocus that weren't very intuitive for me. Plus, the way the books is written makes it a very easy reference guide when I need to refresh myself on a specific OmniFocus tool or shortcut key.

I can appreciate your opinion, though. I never thought of it that way, but the structure of the book is heavier than GTD. Perhaps my field of IT & graphic design has made me used to heavy-handed manuals!

Oogiem

Registered
mcogilvie;112363 said:
In the end, I was repulsed by the book and can't recommend it. Perhaps if you want or need the heavy structure it provides, then it may be a good book for you. I think it subverts the radical simplicity toward which GTD aims.

Interesting, I found the book highly useful, but I'm also a computer software person at heart. I don't implement my GTD system in Omnifocus entirely as the book suggests but I too use it like a manual, for features and tips when I need them.

For me structure is good, in general more structure makes me more comfortable. I don't handle loose ends well at all.

PeterW

Registered
Apologies for dredging up this old thread, but I just wanted to say that I have now switched over to Omnifocus and wanted to thank everyone who contributed their comments and help.

The new job I started in December last year quickly swamped me in terms of time, so it was easier to stay with the GTD system I was using (Appigo Todo). I am now taking my first vacation so have had the time to look at OF again. And a few issues with Appigo have helped push me to look at changing systems.

I have all my projects and tasks entered, but still very much a newbie and learning my way around. I do appreciate the added power and features that I've not had before, and looking forward to mastering the system over time.

PeterW

Registered
Apologies for dredging up this old thread, but I just wanted to say that I have now switched over to Omnifocus and wanted to thank everyone who contributed their comments and help.

The new job I started in December last year quickly swamped me in terms of time, so it was easier to stay with the GTD system I was using (Appigo Todo). I am now taking my first vacation so have had the time to look at OF again. And a few issues with Appigo have helped push me to look at changing systems.

I have all my projects and tasks entered, but still very much a newbie and learning my way around. I do appreciate the added power and features that I've not had before, and looking forward to mastering the system over time.