Syncing multiple users to desktop application

Amy

Registered
I am new to the GTD process, and am not particularly computer savey. I have been using a palm for quite sometime. My husband also is a palm user (well, that is before his palm broke.).

Before I was married I had been syncing both to Franklin Covey Software and then to Outlook. Since I have started applying what I am learning GTD, I think I would like to use outlook with my palm. The problem is I tried this before my husband broke his palm and could not figure out how to set up multiple user profiles in the Outlook program. I know that the Franlin Covey Software has this ability, but I am not sure if I want all the added complication of the Covey software complicating things.

What do other couples/family members do if they must sync to the same home computer? What software can accomplish this and best impliment GTD?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! :)

Amy

M

mochant

Adding a new profile in Outlook is pretty simple

Amy:

Here's how to add a new profile in Outlook from the Outlook help file:

Open the Mail Setup dialog box.

How?

In Microsoft Windows XP

In Control Panel, double-click User Accounts, and then click Mail.
Note: If you are using Control Panel classic view, double-click Mail.

In Microsoft Windows 2000

In Control Panel, double-click Mail.
Click Show Profiles.
Click Add.

Type a name for the profile (Outlook user profile: A group of e-mail accounts and address books. Typically, a user needs only one but can create any number, each with a set of e-mail accounts and address books. Multiple profiles are useful if more than one person uses the computer.), and then click OK.

You will then be able to add an e-mail account to use in your profile. Follow the directions on your screen.

A

Anonymous

My wife and I use the same Outlook calendar. But, we use different categories (we each have a PocketPC, so categories are not limited). We also use Pocket Informant, which allows you to assign colors to categories. In my calendar, her appointments show up as pink; on hers, my appointments show up as a ligth blue. We each know whose appontments are whose by their color.

I don't sync tasks on my home computer because my wife doesn't have any need to see my task lists, and I don't need to see hers.

Amy

Registered
What is contained in the new profile

What exactly is contained in the new profile? It sounds as though you are able to create a new profile for email and contacts. But, what about creating separate profiles for task list, calendar appointments and memos. Would we be able to separate these items as well, so that we do not have to view each others task/memos?

Amy

M

mochant

Re: What is contained in the new profile

Amy said:
What exactly is contained in the new profile? It sounds as though you are able to create a new profile for email and contacts. But, what about creating separate profiles for task list, calendar appointments and memos. Would we be able to separate these items as well, so that we do not have to view each others task/memos?

Amy
Amy:

Based on my reference materials, you need to use a separate .pst file for each user to completely separate all of your PIM data like tasks and calendars. If you associate your profile with your .pst file and your husband's profile with his own .pst file, you should be able to keep them separate.