Tagging tasks with client tag

Silvestro

Registered
Say you have 20 next actions pertaining to a single client -- not project.
Projects have start and end, but there are some job where you work for a specific client all time long, and you have to define client dependency on the many tasks.
Tags should be used as context as far as I know. How do you organize those tasks? You put all of them in the single actions list, but with the client tag?

Thank you

mickdodge

Registered
NirvanaHQ has a contacts tag option that is different from the regular context based tags. I use the contact tag exactly for what you are asking here. Then when I want to see tasks for that specific contact (i.e. client), I click their name in the contacts tag list. Then I only see the tasks assigned to that specific contact and what list the tasks are in.

However, I don't separate them into their own list. They are either on my Next Actions, Later, or Someday/Maybe list based on the priority of the task itself. Maybe I should consider separate lists, but for now that's how I do it.

mcogilvie

Registered
The answer to your question is really tools and personal preference-dependent. I don’t think there is a general answer, but I see no reason tags can only be contexts. I personally find tags a little unwieldy in most apps, though.

ivanjay205

Registered
Say you have 20 next actions pertaining to a single client -- not project.
Projects have start and end, but there are some job where you work for a specific client all time long, and you have to define client dependency on the many tasks.
Tags should be used as context as far as I know. How do you organize those tasks? You put all of them in the single actions list, but with the client tag?

Thank you
I would say what are the "areas of focus" of those tasks. For example are they client specific projects (if for example you were an architect or a general contractor). Are they financial reports? Are they business development related? That is how I would break it down (and I do in my system). This way if I want to work business finance today and submitting reports for X client is on my radar.... That is filtering by the area of focus as well as the context (computer, accounting software, etc.)