• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Tagging tasks with client tag

Silvestro

Registered
Say you have 20 next actions pertaining to a single client -- not project.
Projects have start and end, but there are some job where you work for a specific client all time long, and you have to define client dependency on the many tasks.
Tags should be used as context as far as I know. How do you organize those tasks? You put all of them in the single actions list, but with the client tag?

Thank you
 
NirvanaHQ has a contacts tag option that is different from the regular context based tags. I use the contact tag exactly for what you are asking here. Then when I want to see tasks for that specific contact (i.e. client), I click their name in the contacts tag list. Then I only see the tasks assigned to that specific contact and what list the tasks are in.

However, I don't separate them into their own list. They are either on my Next Actions, Later, or Someday/Maybe list based on the priority of the task itself. Maybe I should consider separate lists, but for now that's how I do it.
 
The answer to your question is really tools and personal preference-dependent. I don’t think there is a general answer, but I see no reason tags can only be contexts. I personally find tags a little unwieldy in most apps, though.
 
Say you have 20 next actions pertaining to a single client -- not project.
Projects have start and end, but there are some job where you work for a specific client all time long, and you have to define client dependency on the many tasks.
Tags should be used as context as far as I know. How do you organize those tasks? You put all of them in the single actions list, but with the client tag?

Thank you
I would say what are the "areas of focus" of those tasks. For example are they client specific projects (if for example you were an architect or a general contractor). Are they financial reports? Are they business development related? That is how I would break it down (and I do in my system). This way if I want to work business finance today and submitting reports for X client is on my radar.... That is filtering by the area of focus as well as the context (computer, accounting software, etc.)
 
Top