Task management using BlackBerry/laptop for GTD

davidpopely

Registered
Apologies, I *know* this has probably been discussed many *many* times before, but I'm hoping for some help.....

Until now, the Filofax has been the core of my system. At the moment I keep diary, next action lists, etc all in the FF. I've never kept my contacts there, because like most people I find the phone (BlackBerry in my case) is just a much more efficient way of accessing them.

Just lately I've become more postcode-dependent, as my SatNav needs them for meeting destinations etc, and also I'm busy trying to put as much of my accountancy business as I can into the cloud, as I'm trying to 'go desk-less' on a trial basis to see how that works for me (basically it would free up some space, and increase my ability to access stuff when I'm out-and-about). So I've migrated to Google Mail and I'm trialling Google Calendar parallel to my FF diary. Using Google Sync, I can get my Google mail, calendar and contacts synced to my BB automatically and wirelessly, without me ever having to remember to plug the BB in and run the sync (I do have to remember to charge the BB, but I usually do that when I'm in the car anyway).

This leaves the issue of next action lists, project lists, agendas etc, and that's where I'm struggling to find an electronic solution. I can carry my FF with me so that's OK, but if I could get those onto the BB, with an auto-sync to my desktop and laptop, I'd consider it a good result. I've tried Evernote, but I just can't seem to get the hang of Evernote for BB....I don't think it's the best EN version out there. I haven't tried Remember the Milk, as you pretty much have to buy the Pro version just to get any kind of functionality with it at all. The generic BB task manager is OK, but requires manual sync. Does anyone out there have any ideas about best practice using Evernote on the BlackBerry? Is anyone out there successfully using Evernote on their BlackBerry in a GTD context? I belong to a couple of user groups elsewhere, and I might post this up there also and see what they say....so apologies if you're seeing it for the second or third time!

My HP9500A printer has a brilliant scanner which has worked a lot of overtime as I scan and store old docs this last week or so. I use Dropbox for my file storage, as it's just brilliant, simple, easy to use, and I don't need access to docs from my phone. i have the 100gB version, and I'm busy uploading a *lot* of stuff. Once it's all done, Dropbox will keep my desktop and laptop in sync document-wise, and also mean I'll never have to remember to back up - result!

Long term, I think I'll migrate from a Blackberry to (maybe) an Android phone (Apple dealers seem to want silly money up front for an iPhone), but that's a couple of years away phone contract-wise, unless BB go under in the meantime, which is possible. So I'd appreciate any help on either a) setting up Evernote for BlackBerry in the most help ful way, or b) another task manager which will sync with my laptop and desktop via the cloud.

Thanks a lot! :D

David

tominperu

Registered
I use a Blackberry curve which syncs with Outlook for Tasks. Notes, Contacts and Calender. For actions I use NextAction, for Notes, Action Pad, for Calender CalenderPro and the BB native application for contacts. The project list is just in a note. Sync is via a cable which is good for me as occasionally work in an area with no mobile signal.

Works fine.

Like you I may eventually switch to an Android, just because serving the web is a poor experience on the BB Curve and also its battery life seems to be decreasing too much.

davidpopely

Registered
GTD for BlackBerry Curve

Hi Tom

Thanks for that - I agree, the Curve is hopelessly slow for web surfing.

Since you use all native apps, do you sync your BlackBerry using the sync cable? Or is there a way of getting it to sync wirelessly? I assume not, but if anyone can comment I'd be grateful.

The great benefit of using Google calendar, mail and sync is that the sync happens automatically when I update. The big problem with it is that it doesn't have a decent task management app, and Google show no sign of producing a means to sync Google tasks with BlackBerry (or with any other platform. It's a real shame, because it spoils what would otherwise be an excellent suite of apps.

tominperu

Registered
davidpopely;100542 said:
Hi Tom

Thanks for that - I agree, the Curve is hopelessly slow for web surfing.

Since you use all native apps, do you sync your BlackBerry using the sync cable? Or is there a way of getting it to sync wirelessly? I assume not, but if anyone can comment I'd be grateful.

The great benefit of using Google calendar, mail and sync is that the sync happens automatically when I update. The big problem with it is that it doesn't have a decent task management app, and Google show no sign of producing a means to sync Google tasks with BlackBerry (or with any other platform. It's a real shame, because it spoils what would otherwise be an excellent suite of apps.

Hi,

All the apps are actually third party apart from for contacts but they are pretty cheap.

I may be able to sync wirelessly with bluetooth but I've never tried to be honest. Syncing with a cable is not something that bothers me particularly. Perhaps he I could do it I would hate to go back but I've been doing the same thing for so many years...

Tom