• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Tasks vs calendar events in Entourage 2004

  • Thread starter Thread starter bongoman
  • Start date Start date
B

bongoman

Guest
Hi there

I'm getting a little tripped up on implementing GTD in Entourage.

This app allows me to create tasks AND calendar events. However tasks can also be set to be time specific, that is, allocated a due time/date but they do not show up on the calendar.

So let's say I simply have to call John tomorrow before midday as he is then out of the office for a week and I need to "discuss planning report" before he goes. Should such an action be a time-specific task OR put on the calendar?

If it is put on the calendar, does it get assigned a context of "calls-work" or left without a context?

My understanding of GTD is that anything on the calendar does not have an associated context, unlike tasks (or next-actions). BTW, I use categories in Entourage to assign contexts and categories can be assigned to both tasks and calendar events.

I hope my issue is clear to readers and any clues would be greatly appreciated.

bongoman
 
Hard landscape actions force the context.

In GTD you put hard landscape in the calendar (actions that must be done at strictly determined date and time - for example meetings). So the calendar forces the context you are in during hard landscape events. There is no need to assign any context to this kind of actions since they ARE the context.
TesTeq
 
Top