• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Text Based Outliner for Mind Mapping, Brainstorming, Etc.

Can any of you recommend a simple outliner for mind mapping or brainstorming. I'm looking for something that is:

1. windows based;
2. exports (or is a) text file with tabs;
3. simple, but with some kind of outlining features (hide/show outline levels, etc).

#2 eliminates MS Outlook. I'm trying to stay away from installing all of VI just to get vimoutliner. I'm thinking there has to be a product out there (some text editor) that i'm just missing... Thank you in advance.
 
Use MS Word

I reckon you're already using Word or one of its competitors. If all you want is text outlining, Word does a great job in the outlining mode.
For me, outliners are too linear, I use MindManager to brainstorm and develop new ideas, so I can easily hop from idea to idea and also see links between them

Regards

Spirou
 
Emacs (org-mode)

Emacs org-mode is a fantastic outliner (in plain text, of course).

http://orgmode.org/

Org-mode is part of the latest GNU/Emacs. You can put unlimited text underneath any given outline heading/subheading. And you can tag outline headings/subheadings. It handles links really well. And it has a wonderful table feature (in plain text, of course), which does basic spreadsheet calculations.

Exports to HTML, LaTeX, etc.

And it can be used to implement GTD. (Using tags as contexts. Google "gtd orgmode" for examples.) Integrates really well with Emacs built-in calendar/diary system.

Orgmode is the ideal "sticky" note system for all platforms/OS's. A little more linear than a wiki, but arguably more powerful. You can access/organize your data in linear AND contextual ways.
 
For a simple Windows outliner, take a look at ToDoPaper.

If it meets your needs, then check out Bits du Jour on Sunday (7/13/8 ), as you can buy it for 50% off.

If you want traditional mind mapping, then consider Mind Meister. It is online, so it will give you access from any internet connected computer.

I hope that helps, or at least offers some alternatives.

Jim
 
Top