The 5 Second Rule (book) by Mel Robbins

Jim

GTD Ninja
A summary of the rule:

The rule works as follows: when individuals have an instinct to take an action towards a goal, or shrink from doing something that they know ought to be done, they should count backwards, in their head, “5-4-3-2-1-GO.” At “GO,” they take action. The 5 Second Rule pushes people to do what they know at heart is the right thing. It prevents them from being distracted by worry and anxiety, and keeps them focused on the moment.

Rostane

Registered
A summary of the rule:

The rule works as follows: when individuals have an instinct to take an action towards a goal, or shrink from doing something that they know ought to be done, they should count backwards, in their head, “5-4-3-2-1-GO.” At “GO,” they take action. The 5 Second Rule pushes people to do what they know at heart is the right thing. It prevents them from being distracted by worry and anxiety, and keeps them focused on the moment.

Thanks a lot for the add-on, that's exactly it ! Follow your first intuition, use the analogy of the rocket launch and just go do it !
I guss you use it yourself, did you notice improvements ?

Mateusz

Registered
I heard about this method a few years ago.
Honestly I can’t imagine how this could really work.

But there are so many followers

Rostane

Registered
I heard about this method a few years ago.
Honestly I can’t imagine how this could really work.

But there are so many followers
It's because it's very simple that it works, we often forget the basics... I'm the first !
I encourage you to give it a try. You can also check some TEDs of Mel Robbins, she's very interesting.

mcogilvie

Registered
A summary of the rule:

How does it this work when acting in anger doing something stupid? Some people count up to 10. How do you know if what you are doing is right or wrong so you know which way to count? Inquiring minds want to know.

Rostane

Registered
How does it this work when acting in anger doing something stupid? Some people count up to 10. How do you know if what you are doing is right or wrong so you know which way to count? Inquiring minds want to know.
Good question, it goes deeper than that: it's a mix between practice and doing something you know you should do, not just 'reacting' but 'pro-acting' and beating procrastination.