The Address Book -- what is your system?

WebMarketer

Registered
How do you manage names, addresses and other contact-related info? Do you use a software- or paper-based approach?

Also, can anyone recommend a good (and preferably free) Windows-based address book program? I really need to get a handle on my ever-growing list of contacts! The software should be easy to use and offer the ability to add notes to a contact.

Thanks!

pks1994

Registered
We use Outlook for contacts and that seems to work very well with regards to setting up categories and syncing with our Treos. I know it's not free, though...

Do you have Excel? You could set up a spreadsheet with standard headers like:
First Name
Last Name
Home Phone
Cell Phone
Street
City
etc...

The nice thing about that is that you can easily import this data into almost any address book that you decide to use in the future. You may need to change a few headers but that's easy, too.

We have imported (and exported) our same address book data in (and out) of many programs (Who-You-Know, ACT, Access, Excel, Outlook...)

Hope that helps...

bdillahu

Registered
One big field

Whatever software you decide to use, I would make one suggestion: Don't use all the various Home number, Home address, whatever fields. Just have a personal "standard" layout and put it all in the Notes field. In general the only fields I fill in (Outlook with Blackberry) is the name field and the Notes field.

The software will still let me search, and it lets me be pretty much software agnostic. I came from another product and could easily move contact data around even though the fields didn't match up... its easy to find a name and notes field.

TesTeq

Registered
Mark Hurst says: "avoid using Microsoft Excel for databases".

Brent;57661 said:
Personally, I use a spreadsheet. Very simple and straightforward.

Mark Hurst says: "avoid using Microsoft Excel for databases".

Mark Hurst "Bit Literacy" said:
One common mistake with Excel, however, is to use it as a database. You might as well use Microsoft Word to compose music, or use Outlook to create a slideshow. Excel was built as a spreadsheet, not a database, and so it should be used for calculations, formulas, and the like - but not managing a database.

sarahg

Registered
Paper

Having used a few palms and similar devices I ended up going back to a small filofax (looseleaf paper) for this part of my system.

For me, I need my contacts list when I'm "out & about" but have grown to distrust ever-more-complex-but-less-reliable gadgets so I use the address section as a simple paper system.

For my actions & projects however I use my computer, since I'm a programmer and 90% of my contexts are variations on "@computer". Having the paper system I can slot pages into lets me print out my "out & about" contexts during my weekly review & place that in the paper planner to get the best of both worlds.

I've tried to explain my reasons, not just my system, because your situation, how many contacts you have, what info you need about them, and where you need that info, and just how you prefer working will have a big impact on your choice. Perhaps these considerations will spark ideas for you, even if you don't make the same choices.

haga2000

Registered
outlook with sync. to a cell. phone

I use outlook for my contacts, but I keep it synced with a cell phone. I this way I keep all my contacts with me at all time.

I also sync. my calendar with the cell phone. In my age (50+) where "altzheimer light" starts to kick in I need a beeb, to remind my of imortant tasks and meetings.

TesTeq

Registered
A spreadsheet program.

Brent;57670 said:
Where did I write that I'm using Microsoft Excel?

You are right. You did not write that you are using Microsoft Excel. You wrote that you are using spreadsheet. Since Microsoft Excel is the most popular spreadsheet program I do not see any incompatiblity between your statement and my comment. But to make it clear I'll modify Mark Hurst's quote for you:

One common mistake with a spreadsheet program, however, is to use it as a database. You might as well use a word processor to compose music, or use a PIM application to create a slideshow. A spreadsheet program was built as a spreadsheet, not a database, and so it should be used for calculations, formulas, and the like - but not managing a database.

TesTeq

Registered
I have nothing against spreadsheets.

Brent;57688 said:
Why are you so adamant that I get this?

I have nothing against spreadsheets and I think everybody should use the tools that he likes and is comfortable with.

Thank you for the new word in my vocabulary: "adamant".

ellobogrande

Registered
WebMarketer;57657 said:
How do you manage names, addresses and other contact-related info? Do you use a software- or paper-based approach?

I use Microsoft Outlook and synchronize it with a Palm Tungsten E2.

WebMarketer;57657 said:
Also, can anyone recommend a good (and preferably free) Windows-based address book program? I really need to get a handle on my ever-growing list of contacts! The software should be easy to use and offer the ability to add notes to a contact.

You already have a free application that can do this: The Windows Address Book, which I also believe is used by Outlook Express, another freebie. If you don't like these applications, you can download the Palm Desktop application (available at palmOne.com) for free, which is useful even if you don't own a Palm. They all include a "Notes" field in their contacts applications.

Jamie Elis

Registered
address book to labels

I think that optimally one should also be able to make address labels from the address book.

TexasEx94

Registered
I primarily use Outlook as my address book. I do have a Blackberry that I unfortunately cannot sync with my work computer so I utilize that mostly for phone numbers. I don't send work related emails to anyone from my personal email anyway so it's not that big of a problem.

WebMarketer

Registered
EssentialPIM

Great feedback so far. Thanks to all of you.

ellobogrande;57716 said:
You already have a free application that can do this: The Windows Address Book, which I also believe is used by Outlook Express, another freebie. If you don't like these applications, you can download the Palm Desktop application (available at palmOne.com) for free, which is useful even if you don't own a Palm. They all include a "Notes" field in their contacts applications.
Just wanted to follow up here:

I did some research and finally settled (for now) on using a wonderful app called EssentialPIM. I'm using the free version which has a nice feature set. The program is a stripped down version of Outlook, without all the extra fluff that I don't need for my purposes. The "Contacts" and "Notes" modules in EssentialPIM are really the only two I use. What's great for me is the fact that I can easily and quickly manage these two sections here in just a few clicks. Plus, I've got my data backed up on my USB flash drive -- and this, together with the free EssentialPIM Portable edition, allows me to access my stuff from anywhere if I need it. And I should also mention that I'm password-protected as well.

So far I have no complaints. This sexy-looking and fun-to-use app is working out just great for managing all my contacts and important notes.

Anyone else using EssentialPIM?

Denver Dave

Registered
Addresses and Telephone numbers

I've used quite a few systems including Act 2005, which was the end of my using that product. I really liked the features, but the resource consumption was enormous and I quit it.

Since then, I've been using Time and Chaos every day and I love it. It will also run from a USB drive. I love Time and Chaos, but strangely, it does little to help manage time or chaos - it is mostly a contact manager with a calendar and limited task list.

Thus, why I'm here today. I'm evaluating
TimePanic and MyLifeOrganized - both are interesting software and both do not seem to do what I need in managing my time with personal, family and client time.

Oh yes, I also use InfoSelect to collect information in a searchable format.

Any suggestions? Seems like one or two packages should be able to do all

DavidN

Registered
Hello Everyone

This is my first post in this forum. I have lurked for years now and have gained much useful information from this forum. Thank you.!

I must agree with aderoy and Denver Dave in regard to the use of Chaos Software Products as a GTD Tool. I will say however, that !ntellect is more then just a calendar, address book and limited task manager. With !ntellect the user has the ability to link all tasks, appointments, contacts, memos, and emails to a specific task. You also have the ability to customize your task labels to the context that you choose and color code them accordingly and group as well.

Of course everyone is right you also have the ability to run from a flash drive and sync online plus wirelessly transfer all of your information over to a mobile device. Great tool!

Aderoy and Dave thank you for providing me with the inspiration to join this forum!!