The day I forgot my PDA...

M

mochant

Try drawing your own icons

Gameboy70 said:
It's a small detail but I mark off my NAs with a highlighter which keeps things neat and also allows me to go back and refer to old NAs for names and phone numbers, etc.

When I used an all-paper system (pre-GTD), I would punctuate the beginning of each to-do item with a hand-drawn checkbox, then check off each completed item, leaving that item neat and visible. The highlighter is a good way of doing the same, but seeing many highlights on a page is a little "loud" for my taste. Both of these methods have the advantage showing what you've gotten done, rather than obscuring it with crossouts, or deleting them from an electronic to-do list.

As I move slowly but inexorably towards dropping the PDA from my tool kit (it sits this weekend on my desk at work), I'm finding there are a number of techniques that we can adapt from the techie side of things to a return to paper.

I've been drawing simple icons next to my action items to help them stand out in context of the notes that surround them. For an idea, I draw a little light bulb. For a to do item, I draw a blank checkbox. For an appointment or other time-based committment, I draw a little clock face.

I also use a "drylighter" - one of the nibs in my Rotring pen that uses a dazzling orange ink that is completely transparent. Rather than striking through the entire text of a completed (or transferred to Outlook) item, I simply drylight the icon. It keeps the page from getting too garish.

I've been using a small Moleskine journal and the speed and tactile gratification has been a real joy. I haven't found finding things to be a problem as I process whatever I've collected in my journal into Outlook on my Tablet PC as soon as I get back to it. It takes just a minute or two, generally, for me to do this since any serious note-taking is almost always done on the Tablet anyway.

BTW, I stil carry my NoteTaker wallet everywhere. It and the Moleskine co-exist very nicely - they use the same technology platform after all. :wink:

nw

Registered
I've just bought my Palm Vx out of retirement, but.....

I''ve just started implementing GTD and I have to admit that after reading all the miriad of ways of implementing GTD have decided on Outlook for the 'lists' and OneNote for reference material for current projects with archive referernce material in pdf. Interestingly I also decided to dig out my Palm Vx and start using it again. I used to use the Palm as my main organiser and ended up with a huge todo list on it which pretty much never got anything ticked off. I got disillusioned and stopped using it. After reading GTD, I now realise that the todo list was a mixuture of projects, ideas and very few 'next actions'.

When I did the collecting part of GTD I used paper and I occurred to me then that maybe good old 'pen & paper' might be a better way to run my system as it would stop me tweaking, rearranging or complicating the system, rather than using it.

For now I'm back using my PDA, but I'm going to monitor the situation to see how many Outllook addins, VBA code & Palm apps & hack that I download & try out.

A

Anonymous

I have been the point man for Pocket PC's in my organisation and have given all kinds of pep talks on why people should use PC for their GTD system.

But after switching to Mac and not gettng good syncing with a third-party software program (I know there are two Mac Programs for use with Pocket PC), I finally decided to switch back to my Time/Design system for awhile.

Honestly, I can't believe the difference it's making in not having to tweek the hardware/softeware side of my system all the time. I just record NA's, Projects, etc. and then mark them off with my yellow highlighter. The PPC now contains only my large Contact database.

I sense a level of freedom that I've not experienced in some time. I'll see if I stay with paper after being a PDA user for five years!

tulipcowgirl

Registered
Re: The day I forgot my PDA...

jac said:
My question is this - has anyone implemented a combined PDA/Paper system where the PDA is used entirely for Reference (including Contacts, Calendar, Project Lists, A-Z etc) but the Next Actions are done entirely on paper?

Basically, yes. My Palm has essentially become a go-between and a way to keep my OL at work synced to my OL at home, both of which I use religiously. OL works for me both professionally and personally. That's my trusted system, my constant.

My mobile inbox or place I write things down when they come to me is in a Circa 'junior' size leather notebook with both ruled and grid paper from www.levenger.com . It's taken me awhile to find the perfect notebook for me, but finally I have! Got my favorite pen (actually I have them strewn all over the house, in my car and at work so I'm never without one) and I'm set. I scribble my notes, sketches, etc... in my notebook, but generally everything gets entered into OL either daily or during my end of the week review. So my next actions are not really paper format.

The way I work now, I could probably just go get another USB memory stick and transfer my OL pst file back and forth. But my Palm has become useful in other ways: it has an MP3 player, I read e-books from it, and it's just good for reference and transport. I hardly ever actually input anything directly into. I'm sure there are people out there that are efficiently using their Palm as their main GTD tool. Great. You have to do what works for you.
Yes, I'm very much a techie. However, with all that said, there is still something tactile about a pen and paper, at least for those of us that grew up with it (I think this will change as the generations progress, but that's a separate topic),
Ditto.

A

Anonymous

I find that paper lists are infinitely more scannable than computer lists, easier to read, easier to take notes on, and easier to reference when you've got something on the screen. For someone ike me who can't afford a Palm, it's also handy to be able to take your lists with you anywhere.

I can't read my own handwriting, though, and I skip from project to project in such a way that my NA lists need to be refreshed at least daily in order for me to trust them. Plus the computer makes it really easy to sort and search for things or move them from one list to another.

So far I've found I prefer keeping my lists in Word and printing out working copies about once a day. The only downside (aside from the costs - environmental and otherwise - of using all that paper and toner) is that it takes 45 minutes a day to update the computer version with all my notes from the paper version and my "inbox" (aka notepad).

FWIW.

A

Anonymous

I use a paper / iPod / Mac combo for my system. I tried my Palm, Outlook, and even my old Newton, but this is what works best for me. I sync my iPod every night. I always have it with me. It stores and syncs my Address Book, Calendars, To-do Lists and Notes.

My pad of paper allows me to write anything down that I need to at a moment's notice. It's my favorite input method. Each night I take a few minutes to dump things into my computer, which are then synced. When I don't have time for my nightly dump, I save it until my weekly review.

tulipcowgirl

Registered
Reading and replying to this post has made me realize how far I've come with my GTD system...it's taken me a long time to be able to say that I even have one that works. And I'll probably continue to work on it. But for today I'll give myself a tiny pat on the back and a nice cup of afternoon coffee.

M

M1thag0

bojengis said:
I use a paper / iPod / Mac combo for my system. I tried my Palm, Outlook, and even my old Newton, but this is what works best for me. I sync my iPod every night. I always have it with me. It stores and syncs my Address Book, Calendars, To-do Lists and Notes.

Interesting...

How do you organise your lists etc for reviewing on the iPod? Do you have separate calenders/to dos in iCal, or do you save @action lists as text files and paste them over to notes?

I'm intrigued

A

Anonymous

Paper vs Electronic Systems

I use both paper and PC to manage actions. I have one excel "spreadsheet with TODO and DONE tabsheets with the following columns (I am a project manager and need to keep after the activities of 20-30 direct reports plus other teams)

- P (Personal) or W (Work)
- Category ($$ or Detailed Design - Stock Reconciliation)
- Who
- Status (NA, WF, X(done))
- Task
- Date Done
- Date Due
- Date Added

I use a spiral bound notebook (from Daytimer) with numbered pages. On the front, there is an index where you can write a summary and date of each page.

Moving from front to back, I keep notes that get processed, and I write an X on the top when I no longer need to deal with that page and mark an X on the index. Moving from back to front, I log actions as they come in with NA or WF. If I complete a task in my paper notebook, I mark an X to the left of the NA or WF.

At the end of the week, I update the spreadsheet and move done items to the 2nd tab which is my "done" tab. I then look at my paper notebook and move only critical completed items into the done tab. If I move uncompleted action items onto the xcel spreadsheet they get WL <-- next to the NA or WF on the paper copy. After a page has been processed, it gets a big X on the top. My computer and paper sheets are now updated.

I then review my computer list, sort it, and decide what I need to get done the following week. I put those NAs or WFs on my paper notebook and start again!

Tspall

Registered
Carriekirs,

Do you have MS Access? If so, you could easily put this kind of spreadsheet into there, along with a status field. You would be able to change something from active to done with a drop down box. It would also make it easy to do reporting, status checks, as well as track by person responsible.

Just wanted to offer an alternative. If Excel is working good, then go for it! :)

A

Anonymous

Wow. What a conundrum. Paper vs Tech.
And I've struggled with it too. But for me it has to be one or the other. Combining paper and PDA/OL/Ipod or whatever is too complicated and too easy to mess up. Gets out of sync really easily.
I love to write. I love to use a fountain pen. (Hey, Shakespear used one)
As of today I use my Palm M100. (don't laugh) And it has been perfect. I sync it with the Palm desktop. Nothing added and no "mirrors."
When I am out and about -like the store- I can woop out my M100 and see my @store list. Just can't see hauling in a big ol notebook. Can't see carrying around a big ol notebook. I agree that a small note pad is useful for taking notes (yea -I get to use my F.pen).
I really miss writing. And paper is less complicated. And you have a paper trail/record (which has to be stored!) Maybe I'll switch back because as a great poet once said "life's about changin-nuthin never stays the same." (Patti Lovelace)

A

Anonymous

I'm using the Time/Design Business System and have adapted it to work with a computer print out (MS WORD for Mac). All my tasks (500+) are listed by context (as per GTD) and printed on 4 half-sheets of paper, hole-punched and placed in the Activities section. I mark off completed items with a yellow highlighter all week long and at the weekly review, I update the WORD lists and reprint for a new week. When in office, teverything goes on these printed pages. When out and about, I record items on a little note pad from Cambridge (David's product is out of stock) and add them to my system when I'm back in the office or last thing before bedtime. I manage my calendar on the System paper calendars as provided by Time/Design. I only use my 4150 Ipaq for managing my Contact List.

I'm surprised at how well it's working for me. I guess it's not about the tool, but about whether or not you can manage your world without having to think about your tools when the pressure's on and the day is flying past.

I am experiencing "Mind Like Water" on a regular basis now, and it's great!

S

scott m

Paper? Digital? It really doesn't matter.

One of the chapters in Ready for Anything is titled "The effectiveness of your system is inversely proportional to your awareness of it." Which tool for each part of your system makes it disappear for you? The system is the means to the end, not the end. The goal is getting things done, and the GTD process works no matter if you use paper, digital, or a hybrid. I personally feel that switching improves your productivity because for a few months you are more focused on following the workflow process. The key is to then get comfortable without getting lazy.

For more on the subject, read "The Myth of the Paperless Office". It nicely details why a hybrid seems to be the best solution, and why paper works so well for so many.

S

scott m

hybrid system

Splitting paper and digital can be tricky, because where do you divide it? Jac, the answer is in GTD. Divide it by actionable and reference. This is a division that most people outside of the GTD world don't use. They mix them all together. I would recommend paper for actionable and digital for reference in your case. Once you set up this division, the overlap others have referred to disappears. The second Processing question is "Is this Actionable?" This will neatly and cleanly divide things for you into your paper lists and your reference digital files.

A

Anonymous

Re: hybrid system

scott m said:
Splitting paper and digital can be tricky, because where do you divide it? Jac, the answer is in GTD. Divide it by actionable and reference. This is a division that most people outside of the GTD world don't use. They mix them all together. I would recommend paper for actionable and digital for reference in your case. Once you set up this division, the overlap others have referred to disappears. The second Processing question is "Is this Actionable?" This will neatly and cleanly divide things for you into your paper lists and your reference digital files.

Scott, how do you keep your calendar? Paper, digital? I like having my lists on paper, but I always struggle with going back to paper with my calendar. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Jeff

A

Anonymous

paper or digital calendar

I have used both, and this is my area of biggest trouble (tool-wise). The simplicity and overview of paper is awesome. The easy changes, repeating dates and long-view of digital is great. What I have found is that I am not really honest with myself about how much I change my calendar. Add, lots. Change, much less than I fear. I really like a weekly paper calendar in pencil only. Great overview, not too much space to put lots of things that don't belong there ("might wanna do todays" should be on an action list, or I start planning them forward). Plus, I can highlight, I see things before and after when I add new items, and it just feels "safer" because I know I put it on the right day.

That said, I am using Palm Desktop right now, and have a great weekly agenda book that is calling to me. I might answer the call for a few weeks, do redundant calendaring, and see which I reach for first. The biggest deal for me is having it with me. Too big, and I don't carry it.

S

scott m

Last message from Scott, not guest. Sorry, wasn't logged in

Last message from Scott, not guest. Sorry, wasn't logged in

J

Josh

Wow

This thread has totally blown my mind. The idea of using the iPod as your day-to-day reference source is completely amazing; if I didn't use my Palm to take notes on (with a keyboard) I would ditch it in a moment and only carry an iPod. Amazing.

Since starting with GTD I've been using only a Palm, but have always secretly wished I was doing the whole thing with paper. I hate -- loathe -- cannot stand editing my project lists on my Palm (I use the ShadowPlan outliner), but there's no easy way to sync between SP and the Mac. And I like the idea of paper and of using a Moleskine and just index cards. Here are my questions for you Moleskine people:

- What size books are you using? I like the idea of using the super slim (softcover) ones for note-taking; are you using the big ones (the full-size moleskines) for your lists?

- What do you do when you have to rewrite a list? Just rip out the page? Are there moleskines with perforated pages somewhere?

- Do you carry that notebook with you everywhere? If you don't -- is that okay? What do you do with lists like @errands?

Thanks -- I really want to make the switch to paper, but I'm wary of investing lots of time in the switch.

Ambar

Registered
Re: ShadowPlan and the Mac

Josh said:
(I use the ShadowPlan outliner), but there's no easy way to sync between SP and the Mac.

Have you tried the beta SP desktop app for the Mac, and if so, what do you think? (I have poked at it tenatively due to the ravings of Windows-based Shadow fans, but haven't seen a reason to spend much time on it when I have Life Balance working just fine.)

M

mochant

Re: Wow

Josh said:
<snip>And I like the idea of paper and of using a Moleskine and just index cards. Here are my questions for you Moleskine people:

- What size books are you using? I like the idea of using the super slim (softcover) ones for note-taking; are you using the big ones (the full-size moleskines) for your lists?

- What do you do when you have to rewrite a list? Just rip out the page? Are there moleskines with perforated pages somewhere?

- Do you carry that notebook with you everywhere? If you don't -- is that okay? What do you do with lists like @errands?

Thanks -- I really want to make the switch to paper, but I'm wary of investing lots of time in the switch.

Josh:

In order, here are some answers to your questions based on what I'm currently doing with the Moleskine journal as a PDA replacement:

1. I use the pocket-sized sketch book. It fits in a coat pocket and is easy to carry around. I ordered a 2005 weekly planner which I will try out next year - while it's not pocket-sized, I expect it to be my primary in-office, at-desk, in-meeting tool. It's very slim (compared to a traditional day planner binder) and will slip easily into my computer bag. I've also just ordered a new storyboard journal for designing web pages, Flash animations, and other creative projects.

2. AFAIK, there are no perforated Moleskine books. I work my lists on a weekly basis which I set up during my weekly review (recently moved from Friday afternoons to Monday mornings BTW). I use two facing pages one for @Work, the other for @Home. @Errands stuff goes on the bottom of each page. @Calls stuff stays on my PC - I make all of my calls from my office (I'm not a big cell phone user). I don't try to get my entire lists into the journal - I keep them in Outlook where they're readily accessible. I use the journal for my agreed-to NAs for the week which I dynamically add to as I complete items.

3. I almost always have the journal with me. On the few occasions where that's not practical, I use the NoteTaker wallet to capture new actions and ideas and transfer them to Outlook when I get back to my PC.

I'm about a month into this experiment. My PDA has not left it's cradle and I feel I have gained a significant amount of time back to actually get things done by losing the distraction of fiddling with the handheld.