The day I forgot my PDA...

A

Anonymous

Hi Josh,
I too am experimenting with the moleskine journals. I use the slim ones for my list and the larger Hard backs for notes (meeting) and detail project info.
Not sure if you noticed but the last several pages of the slim notebooks are perforated.

George

Julian

Registered
Rollabind is the paper "technology" of choice

Earlier in this thread, Bree mentioned the Rollabind notebook. It uses a solid plastic ring and perforated paper system that functions like a ring binder but is much better. The primary benefit is the ease of removing/re-ordering pages. (Rearrange lists and projects, insert a blank page, etc.) You can also mix-and-match different paper sizes w/ease.

IMHO it is far better than moleskine depsite its less sophisticated appearance and pedigree.

The problem is the limited availability of paper sizes and styles.
Levenger sells the product under their Circa label. Their ruled paper is superb. I've been using the 4x6 notebook with plastic cover. Sadly, it has been discontinued. The larger sizes are still available. www.levenger.com

Rollabind also sells directly, but their 4x6 notebook is cheap ($1.79 for 60 pages), but unruled and cheap (the other cheap). The junior size comes w/ruled pages and may be better (but too large for my pocket, and therefore not useful). www.rollabind.com

I recently tried a "crackberry" and will start using one regularly in a few weeks. The blackberry's inadequate note and to-do capabilities sent me back to paper, and I am noticing the same productivity benefits that others have mentioned. (As a long-time user of almost every flavor of PDA, I must admit that I'm surprised that paper is that much better for NAs, lists, input, and project outlines.)

My only problem w/paper is the lack of easy backup capability!!

Julian

TesTeq

Registered
Paper?

mochant,
I thougth you were Tablet PC addict and power-user :shock:
And now you wrote that you use "ancient" paper methods :!:
Have I missed something :?:
TesTeq

A

Anonymous

TEchnology & Paper

:eek: Great information. I've been frustrated over the last week. I bought a Treo 600 which I really love, except I realized that I have spent so much time lately looking & downloading demo software that will run on this new device. My main goal was to not have to carry a PDA & Cell. I have realized that I do not need all these extra software and PIM's to make me more efficient. If I took all the hours I've spent lately in "fiddling around" with "technology" and just stuck to the basics, I'd probably be making more sales=$$$. Starting today, I will use my new Treo for my ACT! Database, my GTD list's, and Cell phone. Everything else will go in my Binder on PAPER. The threads above have been enlighting. I'm not very good with computers, but I do respect technology and I use it. I'm just going to try and keep it a bit more simple. I'm in outside sales, and I just don't have time to mess around with the latest & greatest. I will keep it simple!!

M

mochant

Re: Paper?

TesTeq said:
mochant,
I thougth you were Tablet PC addict and power-user :shock:
And now you wrote that you use "ancient" paper methods :!:
Have I missed something :?:
TesTeq
TesTeq:

I am a Tablet PC hugger :wink:

I love my Tablet PC. It is precisely because of it that I no longer feel I need the hassles of trying to keep a PDA synced all the time, fiddling with software on the tiny screen, etc. I've used PDAs for more than 10 years and shudder to think how much time and money I've invested in "playing" with them.

The combination of the Tablet PC and a small, portable journal is working out very nicely for me so far.

Never fear - a gadget freak I remain! I've just adjusted my focus lately.

A

Anonymous

What a great thread! I personally like a combination of the PDA and paper, though I only accept and use the PDA because to carry the equivalent in paper would take me back to the huge binder I once carried. I think my right side is still a bit lopsided from carrying that extra weight!

As scottm talked about above, I divide my implementation between actionable and non-actionable. I generally use my Palm for the non-actionable items such as some reference lists, my complete telephone and address book, and my master calendar. It gets updated on a daily basis and spends the rest of the day in its charger or being carried around in my bag. Based upon this thread, I may have to consider replacing it with an iPod.

I use a Levenger Circa notebook, 8.5x11, as my action center. I would prefer to carry the smaller Jr version for size reasons, but the smaller paper seems to cramp my thinking when it comes to meeting notes, lists and tasks. My action center contains blank paper for taking notes; a printout of my weekly calendar for the current and next four week that I make updates on in pencil; a set of monthly calendars covering the next four months; a quick-list of important telephone numbers; my hand written next actions, agendas, and project lists; a small reference section; and an expense tracker form. I also carry two laminated 4x6 cards in my notebook, punched for the Circa system, that I write my daily priorities, weekly priorities, and my weekly goals on, and then erase and use again.

For that carry it everywhere note ability, I carry a pocket Volant plain Moleskine with a Cross Ion Pen. I also use a Moleskine for my more creative pursuits, carrying the sketchbook version for sketching, writing poetry and other short stories, concepts for my novel, observations of urban anthropology, journaling, ideas and observations about the future, etc. I know the size factor contradicts what I said up above and maybe I have bought into the hype, but there is a difference in the creative aspect that I feel that goes right along with using one of my fountain pens. DA talks about it all being one life, but not all moments are created equal, and the Moleskine is for the special moments and my Circa notebook is for the everyday meeting with the suits moments.

jmcorey

Registered
Wow, this thread has really caused me to think, also.

I get a real charge of making handwritten lists when I feel overwhelmed.

I once read where Jason or David said that your method of getting ideas out of your head has to be as fast as your mind. So, I have a pad of paper on my desk and have given to taking small memo pads around with me everywhere. Ideas first go there, because data entry on the palm is so slow for me.

But I spend so much time getting things on the palm perfect, that I do not spend enough time getting them completed. And that is what a big part of this is all about.

So I have decided to go get some kind of small notebook for my project and NA lists, project planning, mind mapping, and keep my reference, calendar, and address info on the palm.

Where is a good place to purchase the Moleskine products? A search of a major office store website yielded nothing.

Tspall

Registered
mroher, don't feel bad...we all get like that when we get new "toys". :wink:

I've streamlined my own planner/PC combination too. I print my own calendar from Outlook. I don't have to buy special planner paper and it's in exactly the format I need. Outlook is my "home base" application and the planner is for anywhere else. I write tasks and appointments usually into the planner as they occur then enter into Outlook where I print them out during my weekly review.

Easier to keep both synched, and less time than I was spending trying to enter info into both systems at the same time. For mobile thoughts where I can't use the planner, I use either 3x5 cards, a small notebook I take to meetings, or my Sony digital recorder. I enter the information into my planner (or Outlook) as soon as I can so my "Inbox" stays low.

A

Anonymous

planner pads

I love my planner pad - wire bound is slim - holds a whole year

Allows me to plan the whole week at a glance - system also recognises that my weekend is as busy as my weekdays

www.plannerpads.com

A

Anonymous

Re: planner pads

carriekris said:

Allows me to plan the whole week at a glance - system also recognises that my weekend is as busy as my weekdays

www.plannerpads.com

Thanks for this. I've been thinking of switching to a pseudo paper-based system. One question: is there anywhere in the PlannerPad to keep your lists?

Longstreet

Professor of microbiology and infectious diseases
Outlook and paper combination

This has been a real eye-opener of a topic for me. I thought I was the only one that struggled with not going entirely digital. My university uses Outlook 2003 as the base calendar and email system, so this is my home. My project and next actions lists are in the task section in Outlook, and I have it setup per the description of Sally McGhee's new book on using Microsoft Outlook. I have an old Palm IIIxe (now don't laugh, you techies! :? ) that I still hotsynch with Outlook for backup purposes only. I print out my task pages on a routine basis to take with me to meetings, trips, etc. I also (gasp!) maintain a paper-based planner, only as another backup to my calendar. I just could never get into trying to enter tasks and appointments in a PDA. I guess I am one of those visual-oriented people (no rude jokes here folks :lol: ), so I like to use paper to write out my thoughts and look at my calendar. I have colleagues that keep pressing me to get rid of my old Palm and get a new Pocket PC like they have. So far, I have resisted... :shock:

Best to all,
Longstreet

A

Anonymous

Re: planner pads

Planner pads have about 10 pages in the back - not enough for me so I use those for key information.

I use the planner pad junior size with their zipped cover. This has room for me to insert an indexed and numbered lined daytimer brand pad.in the back. From the front of this pad, I take meeting notes etc. Starting from the back, I add action items as I think of them. When the two converge, I start the next notebook.

Every week, I transfer any outstanding action items from the week onto my excel NA/WF list. I review my entire list and pick out my key NAa and put them on my paper list for the week.

Anonymous said:
carriekris said:

www.plannerpads.com

Thanks for this. I've been thinking of switching to a pseudo paper-based system. One question: is there anywhere in the PlannerPad to keep your lists?

A

Anonymous

Paper system options

This thread is indicative of what I hear from my clients all the time. I am a bit surprised that there are not more advocates of the Franklin Covey system, while I do not live in the US I always perceived it as being the planning system of choice. I have recently returned to a paper system and am very happy with a Filofax although the functionality of not having two pages per day is not ideal. There is a level of connectedness and commitment when I write my tasks and projects and the ideas associated with them that I could never achieve with a PDA. Like many who use software for planning the advantages are translated in collaboration and efficiency rather than a connection to ourselves that somehow is best facilitated with a pen and paper. I am going to look now for a place to buy the Time Design system in Australia.

A

Anonymous

Paper system options

This thread is indicative of what I hear from my clients all the time. I am a bit surprised that there are not more advocates of the Franklin Covey system, while I do not live in the US I always perceived it as being the planning system of choice. I have recently returned to a paper system and am very happy with a Filofax although the functionality of not having two pages per day is not ideal. There is a level of connectedness and commitment when I write my tasks and projects and the ideas associated with them that I could never achieve with a PDA. Like many who use software for planning the advantages are translated in collaboration and efficiency rather than a connection to ourselves that somehow is best facilitated with a pen and paper. I am going to look now for a place to buy the Time Design system in Australia.

dal1mdm

Registered
Planning with Plannerpad

I've found it helpful for me to consider plannerpad as my dashboard for the week. I've got my 180 or so NA's and projects in Outlook and I go through them to populate this weeks plannerpad under the categories:

projects
agendas (includes calls, visits, etc)
followup
update
home
read
exercise.

Works for me. Any other ideas out there?

arthur

Registered
Paper & Palm

Let me add to this topic what my setup is.

I use paper and Palm. I have a Tungsten T3. What I love about the T3 are the buttons! It has five (configurable buttons and I use them all. Configured to my buttons are the following programs:
Ultrasoft Checkbook
Bonsai
Note Pad
Key Contacts (Chapura KeySuite)
Applications

If I’m out and about, I will use the palm Note Pad instead of paper notes. I ALWAYS review my notes on Palm Note Pad and decide what to do with them quickly as possible! I'm very fond of keywords when taking notes or jotting ideas.

My Palm is invaluable mainly because of Bonsai, Note Pad and KeySuite (also Checkbook). I find KeySuite simply marvelous. I use Keysuite as my Rolodex and contact list. It has saved me many times with miscellaneous telephone numbers and addresses. I now only have one calendar, Outlook 2003 that synchronizes nicely with Chapura KeySuite.

Of course, Bonsai rocks! And is very easy to use and synchronizes with my Desktop nicely. One of my longest lists is: @TO READ category for all of the books I will read eventually. I find them on Amazon and quickly paste them to Bonsai on my Desktop version, then synchronize to Palm. Saves time. Amazon is very cool! (I use Opera as my primary web browser. Remember on certain web browsers you can configure/customize keystrokes. In Opera, I type "ctrl-b"and it launches my desktop Bonsai. Fast too. )

With Ultrasoft Checkbook I can record my spending habits and synchronize them with Microsoft Money! It’s very fast to enter my receipts into Ultrasoft Checkbook, quicker than a regular checkbook and you can graph and visually see your spending habits, categories and all! Wow.

These programs have made my life 100 times easier, and faster.

I also have a extensive paper note collection of which I categorize and flush from my home Inbox. I also find paper indispensable (notebooks, homework, misc notes) although I find my Palm portable and very handy when traveling.

I use both, paper and palm. Palm a little more so. If I’m home more, probably paper notes and notebooks, gotta love plain-ole’ paper.

You guys are right, Palm shouldn't be a hassle to use. It should be quick and efficient otherwise it shouldn't be used. No tinkering for me, all use...and no games on my Palm (no room) :)

(Thanks everyone here for recommending these Palm programs. This is where I discovered them all!)