The Gap

Barb

Registered
Kelly,

This is one area where I see a lot of newbies getting confused. It also seems to disagree with some of David's other advice--specifically, that all the thinking needs to be done before you hit the runway.

Ideally for me, I'd list ALL of the actions on a Mindmap or something else and then just go to it to fill in my next action when I finish one or more that made it to the Context lists. I'm not good about doing this, however. The result is that I sometimes don't move projects along as quickly as I might.

I was just wondering if you list out your actions somewhere so you can pick and choose when the time comes or do you "rethink" each time (at weekly review or otherwise).

Hope this makes sense.

D

dannybader

next actions by context and their relatives (next actions connected to the project)

Barb - When I capture a project there is a natural tendency for my brain to begin a mindsweep specific to this outcome. The result of this may be a specific action, ie. @computer - log onto marriott.com and book time square marriott for nights of aug 13-14, or simply an "information trigger" that reminds me of something I may need to act on, ie. hotel.

What I like about GTD is the freedom allowed - and encouraged - to practice the principles according to how you think, the software you use, etc. When folks ask - and they always do - how much detail they should go into to plan a project, I'll respond, "As much as you need to so that it is off your mind."

Many folks over the years have stated they do not "plan" their projects nearly as much as they did prior to GTD. This allows them to move faster because the reclaim the "planning time", and they are much more flexible to deal with whatever the world presents to them because their project is in the present with the appropriate next actions.

As always - the best practice for tying runway to 10k is (drumroll please)... yes, the weely review, period!

Be well.
Danny

tpassist

Registered
I am a keen planner (I'm a project manager by trade), therefore I always spend loads of time planning, on reflection, probably too much.

What I really enjoy now I'm using GTD is the ability to capture my planning ideas and "park" them out of the way. I have "baskets" all over the place, in each of my project folders, that just "collect" any steps or tasks that I feel may be needed. In this way, my mind is freed from thinking about them. I don't necessarily use the items in these baskets, but if I find myself in a reflective or planning mood for anyone of these projects, I just scan through each of the items I previously collect. These items work independently of my next actions, though they may also at some point find themselves on a next actions list.

In addition, this “temporary” basket idea is really useful for low importance tasks, like items I need for vacation, i.e. tennis shoes or snorkels and goggles. I just capture and "dump" items as they spring to mind, then when I come to actually packing, I just scan over the list for anything I may have forgotten to pack. Typically, none of these items would want to appear on a next actions list.

Clearly this concept requires an efficient means to capture and store these ideas and potential next steps. I'm using mind mapping software to manage my projects and I have an automated collection and filing add-on, however I'm sure there are loads of other ways to create and manage these "temporary” and perhaps never seen again “in-baskets".

Barb

Registered
I love Mindmaps

tpassist;68922 said:
I am a keen planner (I'm a project manager by trade), therefore I always spend loads of time planning, on reflection, probably too much.

What I really enjoy now I'm using GTD is the ability to capture my planning ideas and "park" them out of the way. I have "baskets" all over the place, in each of my project folders, that just "collect" any steps or tasks that I feel may be needed. In this way, my mind is freed from thinking about them. I don't necessarily use the items in these baskets, but if I find myself in a reflective or planning mood for anyone of these projects, I just scan through each of the items I previously collect. These items work independently of my next actions, though they may also at some point find themselves on a next actions list.

In addition, this “temporary” basket idea is really useful for low importance tasks, like items I need for vacation, i.e. tennis shoes or snorkels and goggles. I just capture and "dump" items as they spring to mind, then when I come to actually packing, I just scan over the list for anything I may have forgotten to pack. Typically, none of these items would want to appear on a next actions list.

Clearly this concept requires an efficient means to capture and store these ideas and potential next steps. I'm using mind mapping software to manage my projects and I have an automated collection and filing add-on, however I'm sure there are loads of other ways to create and manage these "temporary” and perhaps never seen again “in-baskets".

I do all project plans on Mindmaps too. I need to find out if there is someway to "quick add" something without opening the program, though. That would really help.

tpassist

Registered
Barb;68923 said:
I do all project plans on Mindmaps too. I need to find out if there is someway to "quick add" something without opening the program, though. That would really help.

Hi Barb,

If you are using MindManager this is possible with add-ins. To my knowledge, there are two add-ins that you could use, one from Gyronix and my Company makes the other one, TPAssistCapture. Look us up or ping me if you would like any further tips.

Regards,
Brad