The hunt for the Perfect Bag! HELP!

apinaud

Registered
I decide to post for Help!

This is what I want.

A computer Side (15")
A papers Side
Extra Space for travel

My dream will be to have it separate but the ability to make it toghether at any time I need.

I recently toss my old Roller bag and change for 22 small bags, (one for the laptops, one for papers) but when I travel I will prefer something bigger.

Yes I can change bags, or have a travel bag, what I want is a modular bag that can grow with the needs for example.

Add-on for Computer Bag
Add-on for Papers
Add-on for Daily things

Any ideas?

This is the closest I have come to anything like what I want, but said 14" or less.

http://www.sjdesign.com/lapdog.html

Best,

bassdrone42

Registered
Here is the perfect bag!

I use a swissgear backpack. The one at the link below has a 2 good sized compartments. The back compartment has a padded slot for a laptop, as well as room for cords etc. The front compartment expands a bit, and is great for folders, books etc. As well the 2 front pockets are surprisingly large.

I have at times had - my laptop with all cords, portable harddrive, speakers, folders for work, a novel or 2 and a bottle of water.

It's a very comfortable bag. And it doesn't really look like a laptop bag. Which is nice in the big city when taking the subway to work...you never know who might like to "relieve" you of your property!

http://www.holidaypromo.com/Linenames.htm?CD=56&ID=378

mcogilvie

Registered
I like the Briggs and Riley line. Very functional, very well made. The lapdog seems too gimicky for me.

J

jezwebb

Briggs and Riley bags direct

I don't know if you have purchased yet, but Briefcase Direct have a good range of Briggs and Riley at what seem like good prices.

Jeremy.:p

Bettycarson

Registered
Briggs Riley - Elegant style rolling carry on luggage

I found a nice Briggs and Riley Rolling carry on luggage sale with a lot of variety I wanted, one bag having elegant style for the laptop but a rolling case for when they get too heavy. Bergman Luggage has exclusive design with first class functionality that you can carry all the time at 100% satisfaction and Lowest Prices Guaranteed

Todd V

Registered
re: The Perfect Bag

I've had a bag made by Samsonite for over 10 years now that has really stood the test of time. It had a sturdy bar along the top and four D-ring clasps for the handle and the shoulder strap. These things have never broken! One side had a flap revealing three legal-sized compartments for files and folders; the other side, the perfect compartment for any size laptop, and some mesh pockets in front of that for cables, pens, cards, etc. Two belt clip connections for keeping everything secure. Very nice, but can't find it anymore.

That said…

Samsonite makes the best laptop-protecting cases I've ever seen - with memory foam in them: The Samsonite LP350 EVA and The Samsonite LP450.

I like having separate compartments for things, but I also like a bucket approach to a bag: one opening to capture and access anything. My new solution is the following:

David King - Widemouth Leather Weekender Bag (Nice pockets along the peremiter for pens, cards, cables, etc. Still need a slip case to protect the laptop, but this bag is the perfect size for an outfit or two and all of your essentials for a weekend. Just toss everything in, and go.)

add to that a letter-sized Leather-Rope from Levenger to house David Allen's GTD System File Folders. (great because I can throw it in the bag, pull it out onto the desk, etc. whenever I want - completely portable).

And I *really* like the design on the following bag. Perfect for a minimalist day - when all you need is the laptop and a book for the afternoon: David King - Wide Bottom Messenger Bag with Cross Applique.

Conejo23

Registered
Was just searching to see if anyone had posted a thread like this. I know it's a bit old but thought I'd chime in.

I am in the process of wrapping up "the great laptop backpack search of 2012". I bought packs from eBags, Briggs & Riley, Brenthaven, Victorinox and Tom Bihn. Requirement #1 was the bag had to have a strong lifetime warranty from a company with a reputation of standing behind their product. Second, it had to do a terrific job of protecting my MacBook Pro. Third, it had to be functional, accommodate my GTD 'on the go' folders (at all times I keep with me files labeled Inbox, Action Support, To Home, To Office, Read). Fourth, conveniently stash all the misc stuff I carry around all the time. Fifth, be rugged and well made and able to handle tough conditions and rough weather, and Sixth, look good to my eye and be a pleasure to use.

The hands down winner was the Tom Bihn Brain Bag. This is an amazing, amazing bag. Put a Vertical Brain Cell in it to store your laptop, and a Vertical Freudian Slip to organize papers, cords, power adapters, etc..., and you're set. If you're not carrying much, cinch down the cinch-straps and it leans up. Going on a 2-night business trip and you just want to use this bag by itself as your only travel bag? Open up the cinch-straps and you can pack a LOT of stuff into one of these puppies.

The materials and construction are first rate, and they're made in America by people paid a living wage and good benefits. I'd never heard of the Tom Bihn company before this search, now I could not be more impressed. If anyone is looking for a backpack or briefcase or carry on travel luggage, I would STRONGLY recommend you check their stuff out before making a buying decision. Absolutely world-class stuff that will last for many years.

hacker

Registered
Bags? Did you say BAGS? I have just what you're looking for!

apinaud;51937 said:
I decide to post for Help!

This is what I want.

A computer Side (15")
A papers Side
Extra Space for travel

My dream will be to have it separate but the ability to make it toghether at any time I need.

You may want to read my blog posts about this exact topic, and see what I've chosen as my perfect bag. Hint: It's not what you'd expect, but it's more than you could possibly imagine. Seriously.

I was turned onto this bag by Steve Frishling, when I met him on a brief train ride into NYC one morning. Here's his review of how he uses the bag for his photography travels:

http://flyingwithfish.blogspot.com/2008/05/north-face-surge-backpack-updated.html

Right now I'm using a North Face Surge bag for my day-to-day travel, holds a TON of gear, including 2 laptops, spare batteries, cables, ebook reader, notepad, voice recorder, satchel of cables, both of my BlackBerry devices, external backup drive, and plenty of other kit. The amount of storage and pockets is simply amazing.

Here's one of the storage boxes I carry in that bag with me, with all of the adapters and gadgets I need to travel with:

http://twitpic.com/8m85cr

The other two bags I use are the Osprey Porter 46 and the eBags Mother Lode TLS:

http://www.rei.com/product/803307/osprey-porter-46-travel-pack

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/mother-lode-tls-weekender-convertible/143101

Both of the latter bags fit the NorthFace Surge inside it, when I need to carry the main pack + overnight clothes.

Your list describes carrying even less than I or Steve carry in our Surge's, so this bag will absolutely suit you find.

The other side-benefit of the bag, is that it does not look like a computer bag, so is less prone to being stolen or lifted in public spaces.

Conejo23

Registered
I did a ridiculous amount of research looking for a bag. I have the gift of being able to turn a $20 purchase into a week-long research project, lol. I ended up buying the Tom Bihn Brain Bag, but the North Face Surge recommended above looks like a VERY solid bag. You'll be hard pressed to find negative comments about it.

Several things stood out to me about the Brain Bag. One, the laptop sleeve (a 'Brain Cell', sold separately) is sized to precisely fit your laptop. If you have a small laptop, you get a small Brain Cell. If you have a 17" Macbook Pro, you get one designed specifically for that size. And the things are the best laptop enclosures I've seen.

Second, the Brain Cell hooks into the bag in a way where the laptop is suspended off the bottom of the bag. So if you drop the bag, there is minimal to no impact, far less than if the laptop is sitting in a padded enclosure that is resting on the bottom of the bag.

Third, it doesn't have the built in organizational features of some other bags, but it's customizable. So when I want organization and to use it as a briefcase on my back, I keep in the Brain Cell and the Vertical Freudian Slip insert and I'm good. When I get to my destination and I want to use it as a backpack on a day hike, I can pull all that stuff out and now I have maximum storage capability. It's a very versatile tool.

Finally, it's made in America, sewn by American workers paid a living wage (along with 85% of their health benefits). That's attractive to me. Your mileage may vary.

If you get the Surge, you're getting a great bag. But I would also check out the Brain Bag before making a final selection.

DenaDahilig

Registered
just can't let this thread go...

without mentioning Saddleback Leather
http://www.saddlebackleather.com/

Their leather bags are a-ma-zing. The quality is first rate and the styling is right out of Indiana Jones. My husband has a messenger bag and a satchel that he uses daily. We also both have sleeves for our MacBook Pros, MacBook Airs, iPads and iPhones. I've gotten so many compliments on my iPad case, I should keep a stash of their business cards with me!

The owner, Dave, and his family travel all over the world in crazy terrain to make sure their bags hold up. He blogs about their adventures on the site, too.

And if you want a good cry, read his wonderful tribute to his dog, Blue.
http://www.saddlebackleather.com/In-Memory-of-Blue.html

Dena

Barb

Registered
Racheting up the style factor

OK, as long as we are commenting on this thread again, I found a wonderful new bag that holds my Kindle, iPad, and all my purse stuff. It also has a huge pocket on the side with a magnetic closure. The bag itself zips.

This isn't just about utility for me. It's gorgeous too. Look for the Brahmin "Weekender". I got mine a Nordstrom.com but Brahmin has their own website. Bag comes in hot orange, hot pink, and black.

mcogilvie

Registered
Different strokes...

So many interesting alternatives...
some of which I wouldn't use.
For example, I avoid leather
because of the weight and also
because of the "steal me!"
factor when abroad. Barb's
purse thing looks great too,
but no gray to match my
beard. ;)

TesTeq

Registered
I feel so inadequate here.

I feel so inadequate here. I really don't care what bag I carry if it is light and has room for my GTD traveling folders. Currently it is a bag that I received as an attendee of the conference two years ago.

mcogilvie

Registered
TesTeq;97218 said:
I feel so inadequate here. I really don't care what bag I carry if it is light and has room for my GTD traveling folders. Currently it is a bag that I received as an attendee of the conference two years ago.

For just between work and home, I could do that too (and Lord knows I have plenty of conference bags). Mostly I need something really good for long trips.