The results of my exhaustive search for a GTD system/app

crosetti

Registered
Hello All,

I've spent a number of months researching, testing and comparing GTD systems and I've FINALLY come to a conclusion.

First, let me explain a little bit about my general profile and needs. I use an Android HTC Desire Z smartphone and a Windows PC. I want a service that is also Cloud-Based so I can use it at work and while travelling without having to rely on my smartphone.

I'm what you might describe as a "List Person". I have many different kinds of lists (shopping, travel, music, films, etc) along with an incredibly long "To Do" list. In this context I'm only talking about using this system for my "To Do" stuff.

For my non-task lists I use a Palm+Desktop app called "ListPro" but they aren't on Android, so I'm currently looking for a replacement which has customisable multi-select fields as ListPro had. (any suggestions on this would be very appreciated :))

For managing my 2,000 personal contacts I use a combination of CardScan's Desktop App and Outlook, and for my 40,000 business contacts I use a combination of CardScan and Maximizer.

I reviewed and trialled the following GTD Systems and Android Apps:

- Google Tasks + Google Sync - Web
- Toodledo - Web
- Pocket Informant - Mobile App
- Due Today - Mobile App
- Nozbe - Mobile App + Web
- Get It Done - Mobile App + Web
- MyLifeOrganized - Mobile App + Web
- DGT GTD To-Do - Mobile App
- Ultimate To-Do List - Mobile App (Desktop App available, but not trialed)

I decided on Toodledo's web service plus the final three Android app contenders below. The rest had SO many shortcomings on missing funtionality that it would be a waste of time and space to list them all here.

- Due Today
- Pocket Informant
- Ultimate To-Do List

Pocket Informant Negatives:
- Status limited to 4 choices
- No Negative (-1) or Top (4) Priorities
- Can only filter by Category
- Can't save filters
- No Link to Contact

Due Today Negatives:
- Can only filter by Context or Tag
- Can't save filters
- No Link to Contact

So my final decision is to purchase Ultimate To-Do List's Android app to use with Toodledo's web service (I'm currently using the free service, but may consider upgrading eventually). UTD does all of the above, plus the view settings are *extremely* customisable.

Kind regards,
Christina

rbngp

Registered
Thanks for sharing.

After many years with Palm, I switched to Android last summer, tried Companion link, so I could still use Palm Desktop and not depend on the cloud, but it's been a painful experience, with lotsbof duplicates and/or data loss.

Finally got migration from Palm Desktop to Toodledo via Palm2Google and synced to Due Today for Android after reading some good reviews about it. Working fine till now, ;)

fassold

Registered
Agreed.

Toodledo and Ultimate To Do List work seamlessly together. Occasionally the sync to the phone is a bit slower than I would like, but that's just those occasional Type A moments. I still prefer Outlook with the Add-In for my list manager -- I like attaching files and emails to the task, which cloud-based services can't do (confidentiality issues -- I'm a lawyer); but GSyncIt is working pretty well between Outlook and Toodledo. You did a lot more homework than I did -- thanks for the great overview.
Jim

PaulK

Registered
+1 Toodledo + Ultimate To Do

I also use Toodledo + Ultimate To Do List. I paid the small fee to upgrade both to premium - mostly to get support for subtasks in Toodledo. Also had some sync challenges between Pocket Informant and Toodledo.

I find the view by context in UTD very helpful when 'doing' with my phone - especially for 'Errands' context.

egallagher2k

Registered
Since I moved to Android about a year ago I have been using Astrid. It's a free app that is very robust regarding list management and I find it the perfect tool for me. Try it and let me know how it does not fir your particular needs. All of our systems are different but there is nothing that Astrid can't do that I need. I currently have 214 Active tasks. They are all coded in context lists. I also have lists for Goals, Ideas, Notes, Wating For, Someday, various people Agendas, and various places I shop.

markasteele

Registered
thanks for the post, it was helpful

:D
It was very helpful. I've bought and tested over $200 in apps for my Outlook
Tried Netcentrics, and Ceptara
and my Ipad, 7 different ones
and my iphone, 7 as well.

I went ahead and paid for all of them to ensure I get a good eval.

I'm going with
Netcentrics for Outlook integration
Synch with Toodledo
Informant HD for IPAD
Informant for Iphone

I haven't used this system intensively, but looks the most fit for my needs. If anyone's interested, I'll post a response in about a week to how I'm doing.
Thx
Mark

crosetti;96325 said:
Hello All,

I've spent a number of months researching, testing and comparing GTD systems and I've FINALLY come to a conclusion.

First, let me explain a little bit about my general profile and needs. I use an Android HTC Desire Z smartphone and a Windows PC. I want a service that is also Cloud-Based so I can use it at work and while travelling without having to rely on my smartphone.

I'm what you might describe as a "List Person". I have many different kinds of lists (shopping, travel, music, films, etc) along with an incredibly long "To Do" list. In this context I'm only talking about using this system for my "To Do" stuff.

For my non-task lists I use a Palm+Desktop app called "ListPro" but they aren't on Android, so I'm currently looking for a replacement which has customisable multi-select fields as ListPro had. (any suggestions on this would be very appreciated :))

For managing my 2,000 personal contacts I use a combination of CardScan's Desktop App and Outlook, and for my 40,000 business contacts I use a combination of CardScan and Maximizer.

I reviewed and trialled the following GTD Systems and Android Apps:

- Google Tasks + Google Sync - Web
- Toodledo - Web
- Pocket Informant - Mobile App
- Due Today - Mobile App
- Nozbe - Mobile App + Web
- Get It Done - Mobile App + Web
- MyLifeOrganized - Mobile App + Web
- DGT GTD To-Do - Mobile App
- Ultimate To-Do List - Mobile App (Desktop App available, but not trialed)

I decided on Toodledo's web service plus the final three Android app contenders below. The rest had SO many shortcomings on missing funtionality that it would be a waste of time and space to list them all here.

- Due Today
- Pocket Informant
- Ultimate To-Do List

Pocket Informant Negatives:
- Status limited to 4 choices
- Can only filter by Category
- Can't save filters
- No Link to Contact

Due Today Negatives:
- Can only filter by Context or Tag
- Can't save filters
- No Link to Contact

So my final decision is to purchase Ultimate To-Do List's Android app to use with Toodledo's web service (I'm currently using the free service, but may consider upgrading eventually). UTD does all of the above, plus the view settings are *extremely* customisable.

Kind regards,
Christina

ricksmith

Registered
I noticed you didn't try Things. I am using it and seem to really like it. Now that they allow you to sync, I'm wondering how you would like it.

Also what about Nozbe did you not like?

jenMKconsultant

Registered
any updates?

I came across this thread & wondered how your system was working for you. I recently made the switch from Treo to RAZR & have been limping by on using the RAZR basic apps. I use Outlook for email, used to use PalmDesktop, but finally gave that up last year. I was using Bonsai.
I like what I see with Ultimate To-Do, but haven't installed it yet.

How is your systems doing? Do you use Outlook for a calendar as well?

Any suggestions you have would be great.

i'm also looking for a phone call recorder... so far i haven't foudn a good solution/app.

thanks!

markasteele;96485 said:
:D
It was very helpful. I've bought and tested over $200 in apps for my Outlook
Tried Netcentrics, and Ceptara
and my Ipad, 7 different ones
and my iphone, 7 as well.

I went ahead and paid for all of them to ensure I get a good eval.

I'm going with
Netcentrics for Outlook integration
Synch with Toodledo
Informant HD for IPAD
Informant for Iphone

I haven't used this system intensively, but looks the most fit for my needs. If anyone's interested, I'll post a response in about a week to how I'm doing.
Thx
Mark

Proximo

Registered
You really need to try NirvanaHQ

If you are looking for a GTD app that is simple and sticks to what David teaches, you should look at NirvanaHQ.

NirvanaHQ just got out of beta and they have an iPhone app. They are adding some new features to round up the missing links but it's a fantastic GTD Web app as it is.

It's only going to improve with the new features in the works. I highly recommend it.