• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Things due *by* a date, not *on* the date.

  • Thread starter Thread starter CGP314
  • Start date Start date
C

CGP314

Guest
Hello,

I have a basic question about the GTD system that I hope someone here can clarify: how do I classify something that needs to be done by a specific date, but not done on the day?

For example, if I'm a student and I have an assignment due in one month's time, do I put that assignment on the calendar? If so, how do I remember to work on it when I'm reviewing my next action lists? If I throw it in with the next actions, how do I keep track of when it's due? Putting it on both lists is a redundancy I would rather avoid.

Thanks for your help.
[/i]
 
Put next actions on your calendar, not projects or assignments. What are the next actions? Going to the library, googling for info, reading pages xx-yy in some book, etc.

The only related action that should be scheduled on the due date is: "Turn it in."
 
Top