Things vs Omnifocus....or any other software tool

mcogilvie

Registered
GTDWorks;91524 said:
Much better than Things and its glacial pace of development and obvious limitations.

Ah well, Things. Such a good start, and such boneheadedness subsequent. I am amazed it's still got the mindshare it has. I think Cultured Code might get internet syncing working before 2013, maybe.

GTDWorks

Registered
So many of us were hanging around HOPING that Cultured Code would pull it all together and deliver on cloud sync plus, plus, plus. I hated having to move away but I had no choice as I needed all three devices to be in sync while working away from the office.

alsa

Registered
I have been using Things for about 3 years and am very satisfied.

The syncing issue is nearly solved. The beta testing has been going on since early summer (of 2011) and works very smoothly in beta. I would be surprised if it isn't launched publicly by sometime in first half of 2012. You can actually see the beta if you go to Settings and shake your iPhone/iPod/iPad. You will see the beta log-in.

bsarsozo

Registered
Cloud Sync with Ipad | Iphone | Outlook | Omnifocus

I have an iPad 2, iPhone 4 and a winxp pro computer running Outlook 2007 and was wondering if anyone has had success syncing Omnifocus without an apple computer?

ccoleman99;87569 said:
Whatever you decide, I think it's absolutely vital that you get a solution that allows a completely frictionless synchronization between your desktop and your iPhone. In other words, it has to feel like you only have "one list" that you can look at from either place, rather than two lists that you have to worry about keeping up to date.

As a practical matter, I think that rules out Things (at least for me, at least for now).

I tried Things and Toodledo, but eventually settled on OmniFocus, and I'm happy with it. It's a clean interface and a well-designed set of applications.

mcogilvie

Registered
bsarsozo;95057 said:
I have an iPad 2, iPhone 4 and a winxp pro computer running Outlook 2007 and was wondering if anyone has had success syncing Omnifocus without an apple computer?

You can sync the iPad and iPhone, no mac needed, just the OmniGroup server. But you may or may not be happy- I wouldn't be.

apastuszak

Registered
Pocket informant?

Has anyone looked at Pocket Informant. I bought it for my iPad and am quite happy with. I just wish it handled ticklers.

Seanprice

Registered
As an avid Mac user, complete with iPad and iPhone - for me Omnifocus gets a big vote from me.

We use 37 Signals Basecamp as project management hub for all our cilents - we then use Spootnik.net to sync the basecamp projects into Omnifocus.

This makes things so much easier!

ricksmith

Registered
ccoleman99;87569 said:
Whatever you decide, I think it's absolutely vital that you get a solution that allows a completely frictionless synchronization between your desktop and your iPhone. In other words, it has to feel like you only have "one list" that you can look at from either place, rather than two lists that you have to worry about keeping up to date.

As a practical matter, I think that rules out Things (at least for me, at least for now).

I tried Things and Toodledo, but eventually settled on OmniFocus, and I'm happy with it. It's a clean interface and a well-designed set of applications.

You know Things allows syncing now, it's in Beta, but seems to work really well. Why did you rule it out?

Vickie

Registered
apastuszak;95099 said:
Has anyone looked at Pocket Informant. I bought it for my iPad and am quite happy with. I just wish it handled ticklers.

Hello there, Yes, I use Pocket Informant. It's been my primary tool since my GTD implementation (about 1.5 years ago).

I've found it a bit clunky at times (like for projects and notes) but overall, it does the job. The support (at least when I bought it) wasn't that great either.

I have the app on my iPad and iPhone. There have been times when the sync is off which hasn't happened too often lately but for a while, I was considering jumping ship (maybe to Omnfocus). They seem to have gotten it together though.

I bought the HD version for my iPad and it looks nice but nothing spectucular. I would give it a B- overall. Not a bad option but not great.

To answer the overall question about tools, when I started, I started on paper and stayed clear of the software hype. I wanted some time to allow my system to shape itself and then find a tool that most closely helped me manage that. I think if you worry about the tool too early, you might allow that to shape your system rather than the other way around. My thought is, the software is a tool for your system but not your system itself.

I think this might be why some folks find themselves going back to paper many times...starting over.

Hope this helps!

alsa

Registered
Things' beta cloud sync is very strong. I essentially use the iPad to iPhone bypassing the Mac app completely. It takes a while to re-write/opy your data, but from then on --your're set!

North

Registered
North;95649 said:

Actually I've switched to Things, because adding folders hasn't been implemented yet in the iPhone version of The Hit List. The Mac app can add folders which can then be synced to the iPhone app, but I don't have a Mac. Also, the developer is prone on going dark for long periods and either not keeping deadlines or refusing to indicate when a feature will be added, or saying anything at all to anyone.

Which is really too bad, because I think The Hit List is (otherwise) the better app, it even beats Things on its own turf: beauty and ease-of-use while still being fairly advanced for those who need that. But that said, Things is great as well, it's basically competition on elite level.

Oh, and I bought Toodledo at the recent discount. Just for kicks and getting to know what the options are.

PeterW

Registered
The Hit List looks nice although it doesn't have an online version which I'd need. I have a Mac at home, iPhone on the go and Windows at work, so a browser-based version would be nice to use at work.

I'm currently using Appigo's Todo (Mac, iPhone and Online).

mattjans

Registered
Is Vitalist active?

I couldn't see how to post a new topic so i replied here.

Does anyone use vitalist.com or know anything about it? Seems like a good site, but there isn't much site activity and the support posts are a couple years old.

I'm switching from Springpad.com due to their big let down today. I want something electronic, preferably online.

Other ideas welcome. Tx

John_Hammond

Registered
Things is one of the applications that make me envy Mac users from time to time.. I really wish that there was so stylish software for Windows..

North

Registered
North;97791 said:
Actually I've switched to Things, because adding folders hasn't been implemented yet in the iPhone version of The Hit List.

Okay, so just a few days ago I completed or moved the last items in The Hit List and made the final transitation to Things. But today The Hit List was updated, and now folders can be created. And not only that, you can create sub-folders as well, to any depth, which isn't possible in Things (a project within an area is the deepest you get). Now it's also possible to bundle tags with a collapse/expand functionality (Things have tags in hierarchy but no collapse/expand, so you get a long list). Plus the small things I already liked better in The Hit List (but Things got a few wins too).

Looks like I have to switch back, which is heart-wrenching because I love Things too and I just want us all to live happily together. Sigh. Lol.

mrbobbo

Registered
GTD is for getting things done, not tweaking your system

Before you start thinking about configuring your software, whatever it is, I think you should reflect on the point of GTD. I say this because Omnifocus, for example, will take up a lot of your time as you endlessly tweak it, trying to optimize, optimize, optimize. Trust me. Things has a simpler presentation and I have found it much less distracting. And I use it to manage several concurrent business projects: I'm a software project manager. It's not a replacement for project management software (and neither is Omnifocus). GTD is about not having to think. Omnifocus makes you think too much, IMHO.

A feature Omnifocus has that Things does not is the ability to use and present sequential actions in a project. Sounds great, but in reality I've found that most of what seem like sequential things are not really that sequential: they overlap and can be begun in parallel. Also, in real life, projects have multiple dependencies and a single line sequence doesn't capture the work. So you wind up ignoring sequential most of the time.

A feature Things has that Omnifocus doesn't is tagging. After two years of use, this has emerged as a key benefit. Omnifocus lets you categorize an item with two variables: its Project and its Context. But there is at least one more variable for many items: Person. And an item can relate to several people. Things has Projects and Tags. In Things if I have a Phone item for Project X and I need to call Bob and report the results to Bill, I put the item in Project X and tag it with tags Phone, Bill, and Bob. Now, if I run into Bob in the hallway, I search for the tag Bob and I know what to ask him. In Omnifocus the question would be buried in the Phone context and I'd lose the opportunity.

Noel

Registered
Purpose for iPhone

I'm a little biased caused I developed it. But I got tired of trying to mold GTD into general purpose to-do apps like OmniFocus and Things so I made Purpose. Any program will have it's strength and weakness. It's all about the many design choices we make when we're making these programs. I made a decision right up front to not worry about making something that would have general mass appeal but instead focus like a laser beam on making something that works for GTD as seamless as possible. Nothing is going to be perfect. For example, I preferred the way Things does tagging (for Contexts) over OmniFocus's contexts.

It's true that you can do GTD with anything (such as pencil and paper) but the problem is that when you're starting out you're still learning a lot of what GTD is and the subtleties of all it's parts. In this early stage I think the wrong tool can make GTD harder to pickup if you'e not clear on it's concepts and how they inter-relate. In many ways, paper and pencil are better when you're starting out because they're less constricting and make you think more about the GTD methodology which is more important than any particular tool.

Anyway, don't want to get banned by the forum gods for mentioning my product so I'll stop there. Just throwing my two cents out there cause it was asked.

Barb

Registered
Omnifocus?

Noel;100254 said:
I'm a little biased caused I developed it. But I got tired of trying to mold GTD into general purpose to-do apps like OmniFocus and Things so I made Purpose. Any program will have it's strength and weakness. It's all about the many design choices we make when we're making these programs. I made a decision right up front to not worry about making something that would have general mass appeal but instead focus like a laser beam on making something that works for GTD as seamless as possible. Nothing is going to be perfect. For example, I preferred the way Things does tagging (for Contexts) over OmniFocus's contexts.

It's true that you can do GTD with anything (such as pencil and paper) but the problem is that when you're starting out you're still learning a lot of what GTD is and the subtleties of all it's parts. In this early stage I think the wrong tool can make GTD harder to pickup if you'e not clear on it's concepts and how they inter-relate. In many ways, paper and pencil are better when you're starting out because they're less constricting and make you think more about the GTD methodology which is more important than any particular tool.

Anyway, don't want to get banned by the forum gods for mentioning my product so I'll stop there. Just throwing my two cents out there cause it was asked.

I'm surprised to see anyone refer to Omnifocus as a "general purpose to-do app" when it so obviously was created by an expert GTD-er. I'm sure that's why it is one of only a few programs endorsed by the David Allen Co.