• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Thoughts on Time Blocking

I like the standing time blocks, especially the work wrap-up - I've been missing that piece especially because transitioning into the evening, loose ends can be left, well, loose.
Clayton.

Use time blocks to make an appointment with yourself to complete a next action that takes an hour or more to complete. - Dave Edwards
 
David Allen’s GTD book separates how you use your calendar and a task list. That can create confusion when you want to set aside times on your calendar to get your done.

Watch The Video:

https://daveedwardsmedia.com/2024/03/13/does-gtd-endorse-time-blocking/
I found that very useful, Dave. Thank you. I've tried different ways of time blocking as I have relatively few meetings and I need some element of structure to the day. What I do now seems to be working, but perhaps it isn't strictly time blocking, I'm not sure. I have morning start-up and evening wrap-up blocks as in your example, but the whole of the space between is filled with just two large blocks. The morning is for my most important projects and the afternoon is more routine maintenance of my Areas of Focus. In a way, it creates two contexts, so that I have two lists, one for the morning and one for the afternoon. Is that too open to count as time blocking?
 
Top