Three-fold nature of work - express webinar

S-Tolland

Registered
Thank you to Kelly for an excellent express webinar on the three-fold nature of work. As usual, I picked up some tips that I hope to try out. I am particularly interested in trying to keep an eye on my time in the 3 areas over the next two weeks to see if my perception of where my time is spent is aligned with the reality. I estimate that my time is spent as follows:
Unplanned: 50%
Predefined: 40%
Defining: 10%
I'll try to report back in two weeks on my findings. If anyone else would like to join me, please pitch in!

ksonnenb

Registered
Very good webinar Kelly! Love the express webinar format - 30 minutes is so much easier to fit in during my day.

I will also track my time over the next little while to see how much time I'm spending in each area. My current time estimates are:
Unplanned: 60%
Predefined: 30%
Defining: 10%

I totally recognize that i'm spending too much time on unplanned work (firefighting mode) and hope to work on moving that percentage down, while increasing the time spent on predefined work.

Barb

Registered
Was it recorded?

I was SO enjoying this webinar, but we were having a most wicked thunderstorm and I had to bail out or risk electrocution (that qualifies for work as it appears, I believe.)

Love the 30-minute format on some of these skill builders too

ArtsGTD

Registered
Hope it will be posted!

I was in the air and missed it. Darn.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it was recorded and will be posted soon.

Keep those webinars coming:)

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Yes, it was recorded. I'm working on the file now.

I just added another Express webinar for later this month on Calendar Management. I think it follows nicely after this one.

I have endless ideas for these shorter ones! So glad you're getting value from them!

Barb

Registered
Very much appreciated!

Sorry about the gum...but you ARE appreciated!! (didn't get electrocuted, by the way).

Mishina

Registered
I have planned in processing time daily at the end of the day. I planned in time for doing predefined work form my lists first thing in the morning. I now have time in between for unplanned work and predefined work (meetings). Meetings (predefined) work tends to take all that time. Am i supposed to block time for unplanned work also?

Stacey

Registered
I LOVE the 30-minute format! Thanks Kelly.

I've set a preliminary goal for my work time, which I'll test and see if it's realistic and feasible.

PREDEFINED = 50% (4 hours)
UNPLANNED = 30% (2.5 hours)
DEFINING WORK = 20% (1.5 hours)

As a freelancer, unplanned work can come in a moment, but it's truly not always the best use of time. The pre-defined, "big rocks" are what get me closer to my goals. But I love the idea of allowing myself to choose the unplanned, and being open to the opportunities therein.

johnmcoulter

Registered
Audio-Only File Not Downloading

FYI: The audio-only version of this is not showing up in iTunes, and when the 'Download' button is clicked in the Connect site, it says 'file not found.' Just thought I would mention this--very much looking forward to listening to it!

John

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
John

Please delete the file it is trying to download in iTunes, then highlight the podcast name, right-click and choose "update podcast". That should get the corrected one. Sorry, some naming errors in the bad one caused the file to not download, so we replaced the file.

johnmcoulter

Registered
It's Not Even Finding It

It isn't even trying to get the file in iTunes (i.e, 'Update Podcast' does nothing. I do have the video version, and will watch that if all else fails, but I like to listen to these in the car). And I deleted browsing history in Firefox to make sure it wasn't caching the Connect link to "file not found" by default. It's not that I'm having trouble downloading *something,* both iTunes and the Connect site are shooting blanks ... sorry if it's me and I'm just missing something here, but I've never had this trouble with heaven knows how many podcasts over the past several years.

kelstarrising;100116 said:
John

Please delete the file it is trying to download in iTunes, then highlight the podcast name, right-click and choose "update podcast". That should get the corrected one. Sorry, some naming errors in the bad one caused the file to not download, so we replaced the file.

Barb

Registered
Same here

John,

I tried getting it from the website and iTunes and got the same result you did so it's not just you.

johnmcoulter

Registered
Tried That

Kelly:

The audio file can be played from that link, but the download button brings up a window that just says "file not found."

John

Oogiem

Registered
30 seconds to process?

Finally got a chance to listen to this.

Is it really on average 30 seconds to process an input for most folks?

That just is so different from my normal processing. I've measured, it typically takes me from 2-5 minutes to process most inputs and I can actually have some inputs that take 15-20 minutes to fully process.

Just curious on other forum members and whether they really get processing done that fast.