Time-specific information on calendar

manynothings

Registered
Hello,

How do you handle time-specific information not tied to a specific event (i.e. deadlines at a specific time)?

Thanks,

manynothings.

GTDengineer

Registered
In most cases where there is a deadline, I’d put a time block in my calendar in the last available half-hour or hour prior to the deadline in order to perform the related action.

Logan

Registered
In most cases where there is a deadline, I’d put a time block in my calendar in the last available half-hour or hour prior to the deadline in order to perform the related action.
Out of curiosity… why in the last available (half-)hour?

GTDengineer

Registered
Out of curiosity… why in the last available (half-)hour?
I feel that waiting till the last available time period to perform an action prior to a deadline tends to make the work more efficient. Here are a few reasons…

The deadline might become postponed or cancelled altogether. New information might become available which changes the action. And you are forced to perform the action very quickly and with complete focus when the deadline is near.

Note that if the deliverable for the deadline requires a project, then you may have to perform some actions in advance, especially if you might be waiting for someone else before completing the final action.

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
Hello,

How do you handle time-specific information not tied to a specific event (i.e. deadlines at a specific time)?

Thanks,

manynothings.
By "deadlines at a specific time" do you mean that the work must be done at that time, or by that time? The distinction is that work due by that time can be done anytime between now and the due time. At or by determines where the reminder goes. For work to do at a specific time (or on a specific day at any time that day), the reminder goes on your calendar. For work done by a specific date/time, the reminder goes on your next actions list, with a due date/time. The GTD methodology says that three things go on your calendar.
1. Time-specific items, e.g. meetings or appointments
2. Date-specific items, e.g. a call to make that day, but anytime that day is fine
3. Date-specific information, e.g. a hotel reservation for the date you are checking in

bishblaize

Registered
If a project has a deadline I don't keep that in my calendar. After all it's not much use being reminded that you have a deadline for a big project on the day it has to be handed in. I keep that either in my Project List or in the support material, depending on what's the better fit.