Tips for easy set up and use of omnifocus for gtd

macgrl

Registered
I am getting back onto gtd and used Omnifocus in the past - not to any great level though. What is a quick and easy way to get it set up for gtd use. If anybody has an tips in how they use it / have set it up. Or if there is a kind of set up template for it it would be very much appreciated.

What I want to do is to set up my system and just plug my things into it. without getting overwelmed by all the features that omnifocus has which I may want to use in the future :)
Manu thanks

Macgrl

mcogilvie

Registered
macgrl;92186 said:
I am getting back onto gtd and used Omnifocus in the past - not to any great level though. What is a quick and easy way to get it set up for gtd use. If anybody has an tips in how they use it / have set it up. Or if there is a kind of set up template for it it would be very much appreciated. What I want to do is to set up my system and just plug my things into it. without getting overwelmed by all the features that omnifocus has which I may want to use in the future..

Omnifocus really does gtd, so all you need to start are a few contexts- you don't even need to have projects to start.

S

supergtdman

mcogilvie;92202 said:
Omnifocus really does gtd, so all you need to start are a few contexts- you don't even need to have projects to start.

How can you do GTD without projects? You won't be able to track outcomes and things will start falling through the cracks :D

I'd say if you must use as little lists as possible then you can actually keep everything in the same context, ie don't use contexts, not that I advice to do it that way though

ccoleman99

Registered
The goal, I take it, is to make OF "disappear" in the sense that when you are using it, you no longer have to think about OF but can instead just think about your tasks and projects. If so, then -- at least for me -- the only way through is to play around with the program until you've completely mastered it. So just fiddle with it.

mcogilvie

Registered
supergtdman;92204 said:
How can you do GTD without projects? You won't be able to track outcomes and things will start falling through the cracks :D

I'd say if you must use as little lists as possible then you can actually keep everything in the same context, ie don't use contexts, not that I advice to do it that way though

You might, for example, choose to have a project context. Then projects and next actions would be on the same footing, as they are in gazillions of gtd implementations. Or you might let projects emerge gradually from your work.

mcogilvie

Registered
ccoleman99;92316 said:
The goal, I take it, is to make OF "disappear" in the sense that when you are using it, you no longer have to think about OF but can instead just think about your tasks and projects. If so, then -- at least for me -- the only way through is to play around with the program until you've completely mastered it. So just fiddle with it.

Omnifocus has a lot of knobs to turn, and you could fiddle until Rome burned to the ground and took half of Italy with it.

ark2

Registered
Omnifocus - definitions?

Hi

New to GTD forums and omnifocus. The basics are not bad: projects, contexts, actions etc. Folders are ok too but I'm not sure what to do with non action items in omnifocus. I'd like to be able to use it to evaluate my options at different points in the day. Beyond the basics, I don't find the more complex aspects to be so obvious. Does anyone know where I can find a detailed set of definitions for what various icons, processes and procedures in omnifocus? Beyond the basics I'm at a loss and am having a very hard time making it work as a reminder system!

Thanks

Regina:confused:

mcogilvie

Registered
ark2;92476 said:
New to GTD forums and omnifocus. The basics are not bad: projects, contexts, actions etc. Folders are ok too but I'm not sure what to do with non action items in omnifocus. I'd like to be able to use it to evaluate my options at different points in the day. Beyond the basics, I don't find the more complex aspects to be so obvious. Does anyone know where I can find a detailed set of definitions for what various icons, processes and procedures in omnifocus? Beyond the basics I'm at a loss and am having a very hard time making it work as a reminder system!
/QUOTE]

I avoid non-action items in OF, but I do have an "info" context which is set to "on hold" status. I have a "tickler" context just for reminders, too. Could you give some examples of what problems you are having?