• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Todoist Issue: Recurring Tasks

Otim

Registered
Hi Guys!

So I'm attempting to implement GTD on todoist, I have my next action list set up and stuff, however I've run into abit of an issue.

I want to be able to implement a task that I do once a week, such as 'check new food recipes', with no specific day in mind - just that I do it once a week. The simplest thing is to just schedule it as reoccuring for any day and I change that as need...but my next action filter query only includes tasks due:today or no date. This filter query is so that I'm only dealing with what's relevant for today. So the problem is if I have the desired recurring task on another day, I won't be able to find it on my next actions list to DECIDE whether I want to do it today or not.

I ideally want to be free to do it any day, but to be able to tick it off for the week when I do it. Is there a way to get around this problem?

If my explanation is confusing feel free to ask me to clarify :)
 
This is how I handle this situation as a Todoist user.

Say... say I have a plant that I want to water once/week. I might put a weekly recurring reminder on my Google Calendar on Sunday, "Activate a task to water the plant this week."

Then, I'll add that task to a Next Actions list in Todoist.

As part of this system, I consider due dates that I put into Todoist as hard absolutely have to do due dates.
 
If I were using a paper system, I might
  • Add a tickler for Monday: Check for recipes this week.
  • When I see the tickler, I'll add an action to my context list and
  • move the tickler to the following Monday.

On any electronic system, I can do exactly the same, even if it has no features to automate this.

On Todoist, I can:
  • Add a recurring tickler: Check for recipes this week every Monday
  • I still have to add an item to my action list each Monday
 
Top