• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Todoist Setup Guide - Third Way?

TronYuuNao

Registered
Hi Todoist users,

I'm simplifying my GTD system and moving back to Todoist with simple lists as per the GTD setup guide Method #1.

Method #1 recommends using todoist "projects" as the basic GTD lists (Projects, Agenda, Anywhere, Computer, etc. ...)

Method #2 suggests that you try using the todoist "projects" as Projects, and use labels as the context lists (Agenda, Anywhere, Computer, etc)

I'd suggest Method #3, which is a hybrid, have todoist "projects" for the following lists: Projects, Next Actions, Agendas, Someday/Maybe and use labels to identify contexts only in the Next Actions list (@Computer, @Home, @Errands, etc.), so that only clear next actions have labels.

Anyone else doing this? I've read the many posts on Todoist orthodoxy for GTD, but haven't seen this suggestion. One thing I miss about this method is to drag a task from Calls to Waiting and vice versa. But I do find it easier to filter next actions this way by collective contexts (i.e. @work = @office+@calls+@computer) and I like that I can then use the new custom sort to sort those tasks by date added to work according Mark Forsters "one long list" methodologies, within context.

Cheers!
 
I used to use Todoist exactly the same way. Now I am tinkering with my projects list in Obsidian.md and my actions lists in Todoist. But my setup was exactly as you described. All the actions went to either a #Single-Actions or #Projects Todoist project. Context was done using labels and filters. I have 2 separate L1 projects.
 
I actually tried out using Todoist projects as Areas of Focus and sections as projects. If I were to use Todoist, that is how I would do it.
 
Top