Toodledo vs. Google Tasks - which do you prefer?

mlsphd

Registered
Hi all,

I've been playing around with both Toodledo and Google Tasks and so far I think I like the simplicity of Google Tasks better. Is there anything I'm missing that should make me reconsider Toodledo over Google Tasks?

(If its relevant, I'll be switching from Blackberry to iPhone shortly. I also use MS Outlook at work).

Thanks!

mcogilvie

Registered
mlsphd;83725 said:
Hi all,

I've been playing around with both Toodledo and Google Tasks and so far I think I like the simplicity of Google Tasks better. Is there anything I'm missing that should make me reconsider Toodledo over Google Tasks?

(If its relevant, I'll be switching from Blackberry to iPhone shortly. I also use MS Outlook at work).

Thanks!

If it works for you, go for it. I think Toodledo is flexible, has a very good iPhone app, and excellent syncing. And I think Google does the worst UI design around. But by all means, whatever floats your boat.

johnaohman

Registered
A Vote for ToodleDo

As previously mentioned, whatever works for you is obviously the best . . . . but I've found (both for myself and seemingly for others here as well) that at first the ToodleDo UI and logistics seem too robust and too complex - but given a reasonably small amount of up front effort, you can customize it for truly however you work.

It's fast, intuitive (once you get used to it), and there are a number of quality 3rd party apps for smartphones, etc.

BobGall

Registered
Toodledoo

I went through the same dilemma you are. I have an iPhone and use Outlook at work. The iPhone does a real nice job on its own of syncing my calendar and contacts. My tasks presented the biggest problem

I tried Google tasks for awhile. It was ok, but I maintained dual systems (Outlook and Google tasks) while I was figuring things out. That was a pain.

I tried Toodledoo, and as an earlier poster commented, there was a bit of a ramp-up effort. Now that I've gotten through that, the system works great. I'm totally satisfied with the Toodledoo interface with Outlook. Toodledoo gets my vote.

PeterW

Registered
+1 Toodledo

I'm also a Toodledo user and agree with the posts above. It can seem more than you need at first glance but it is very flexible and can be customized and simplified to suit the way you want to work.

I found Google Tasks just too simple to handle my needs, and as David Allen has been quoted as saying, "...to simplify a complex event, you need a complex system".

I keep Toodledo as simple as I can but with enough complexity to handle all the stuff I have to deal with.

PaulK

Registered
Another vote for Toodledo. The ability to set a context for each task, combined with Nuevasync to synchronise with my Nokia phone won me over.

Also, a simpler interface is available for mobile devices http://www.toodledo.com/slim/ that might make it easier for you to navigate.

Loc

Registered
Ramp up Toodledo quick w/ Proximo's setup

Another vote for Toodledo here. I found that Google tasks starts to fail once you start getting A Lot of tasks. I've had as much as 2000 tasks in Toodledo before and the system kept up fine. I love their "Search" option to filter out things. Here's a link to Proximo's setup. I tweaked it a little bit for my purposes but the basic setup will do anyone fine.

petdr

Registered
Toodledo: Using Tags for Context

Another vote for Toodledo.
To allow more flexibility, I use tags (@call, @errands, etc..) for my context instead of the Context labels. The tags allow me to set Custom Views in Done! (a 3rd party app for Palm Pixi/Pre) for multiple contexts (tags).

maclaren

Registered
Appigo Todo + Outlook + Toodledo

I use an iPhone and Outlook as well, and the best solution (and most cost effective too) is to use Appigo Todo on the iPhone. It comes with free Outlook wifi sync that has worked perfectly for me with over 400 tasks on all my lists. As a bonus, if you really like cloud sync, it also syncs with Toodledo. For five bucks it was a great decision.

Rand

Registered
What about ToDoList or Power-To Do List software programs?

Looking for software to manage GTD, for laptop at this point (though would like flexibility to adapt to smartphone down the road). Wondering about Todolist, which is free and rated high by CNET and Power-ToDoList, rated 5 stars by CNET, but costs "$24 or so. It claims to be designed to implement GTD. Wonder how these compare to Toodledo or Outlook Tasks.

Thanks