Top things you'd miss on android if you had to switch to iPhone ( or vice versa)

timjamesbrennan

Registered
I have developed some ninja workflows on my s3 thanks to a few apps.

Here's some of the things I'd most miss if i switched to iphone, in no particular order

Large screen
Removable battery so I can charge a spare one and then swap them
Calendar snooze, really useful if your in the middle of something but a critical event is approaching
Email me pro
Email to self
Swiftkey, suggested words are a really fast way to type
Voicenote by Craig Hamilton
Long press paste, just a tad quicker than iOS paste

Be interested to hear other people's reasons, and also vice versa if you use iPhone ...

vbampton

Administrator
If I had to switch from iPhone to Android, I'd mainly miss:

Simple integration with Mac OS X for things like calendar, contacts
Same apps on iPad, iPhone and Mac
OmniFocus
iThoughts HD
WeekCal
TextExpander
iBooks

mcogilvie

Registered
timjamesbrennan;108426 said:
I have developed some ninja workflows on my s3 thanks to a few apps.

Here's some of the things I'd most miss if i switched to iphone, in no particular order

Large screen
Removable battery so I can charge a spare one and then swap them
Calendar snooze, really useful if your in the middle of something but a critical event is approaching
Email me pro
Email to self
Swiftkey, suggested words are a really fast way to type
Voicenote by Craig Hamilton
Long press paste, just a tad quicker than iOS paste

Be interested to hear other people's reasons, and also vice versa if you use iPhone ...

I have no desire whatsoever to start an acrimonious discussion, but your list seems mostly like minor features that can largely be addressed by 3rd-party apps. Large screen is surely a matter of taste and pocket size, and not all Android phones have removable batteries. I have a mophie juice pack, which provides the same functionality for my iphone. My main concerns with Android phones would be problems with os fragmentation and slow updates, and malware. I don't use google apps, for various reasons, so Android is a poor fit for me.

jrdouce

Registered
mcogilvie;108466 said:
I have no desire whatsoever to start an acrimonious discussion, but your list seems mostly like minor features that can largely be addressed by 3rd-party apps. Large screen is surely a matter of taste and pocket size, and not all Android phones have removable batteries. I have a mophie juice pack, which provides the same functionality for my iphone. My main concerns with Android phones would be problems with os fragmentation and slow updates, and malware. I don't use google apps, for various reasons, so Android is a poor fit for me.

The large screen is a huge advantage to my aging eyes. The "os fragmentation and slow updates" has been a real pain, but it is getting better. Samsung has been great updating my S3. The Nexus 4 eliminates that issue completely. I've never used Omni Focus, but I've seen demos and I would really like to try it. Not sure about malware, I don't know anyone on either platform who's ever had an issue.

I suspect that if Apple release the iPhone on Verizon first, I'd be an iphone user. They didn't and ATT has abysmal coverage in my area, so I went Android and like it. I always hated earlier versions of iPods, and find family iPad is a PITA, so I don't suspect I'd have been any happier with the iPhone had I gotten one first.

What ever works. I still miss my old Palm 3.

mcogilvie

Registered
jrdouce;108481 said:
I've never used Omni Focus, but I've seen demos and I would really like to try it. Not sure about malware, I don't know anyone on either platform who's ever had an issue.
I still miss my old Palm 3.

I have a love/hate relation with OmniFocus. If the Palm task app was a Model T, then OmniFocus is a Hummer: it's a lot more complicated, you can go a lot of places, but you use a lot of gas along the way, and the ride is not really better.