• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Top things you'd miss on android if you had to switch to iPhone ( or vice versa)

I have developed some ninja workflows on my s3 thanks to a few apps.

Here's some of the things I'd most miss if i switched to iphone, in no particular order

Large screen
Removable battery so I can charge a spare one and then swap them
Calendar snooze, really useful if your in the middle of something but a critical event is approaching
Email me pro
Email to self
Swiftkey, suggested words are a really fast way to type
Voicenote by Craig Hamilton
Long press paste, just a tad quicker than iOS paste

Be interested to hear other people's reasons, and also vice versa if you use iPhone ...
 
If I had to switch from iPhone to Android, I'd mainly miss:

Simple integration with Mac OS X for things like calendar, contacts
Same apps on iPad, iPhone and Mac
OmniFocus
iThoughts HD
WeekCal
TextExpander
iBooks
 
timjamesbrennan;108426 said:
I have developed some ninja workflows on my s3 thanks to a few apps.

Here's some of the things I'd most miss if i switched to iphone, in no particular order

Large screen
Removable battery so I can charge a spare one and then swap them
Calendar snooze, really useful if your in the middle of something but a critical event is approaching
Email me pro
Email to self
Swiftkey, suggested words are a really fast way to type
Voicenote by Craig Hamilton
Long press paste, just a tad quicker than iOS paste

Be interested to hear other people's reasons, and also vice versa if you use iPhone ...

I have no desire whatsoever to start an acrimonious discussion, but your list seems mostly like minor features that can largely be addressed by 3rd-party apps. Large screen is surely a matter of taste and pocket size, and not all Android phones have removable batteries. I have a mophie juice pack, which provides the same functionality for my iphone. My main concerns with Android phones would be problems with os fragmentation and slow updates, and malware. I don't use google apps, for various reasons, so Android is a poor fit for me.
 
mcogilvie;108466 said:
I have no desire whatsoever to start an acrimonious discussion, but your list seems mostly like minor features that can largely be addressed by 3rd-party apps. Large screen is surely a matter of taste and pocket size, and not all Android phones have removable batteries. I have a mophie juice pack, which provides the same functionality for my iphone. My main concerns with Android phones would be problems with os fragmentation and slow updates, and malware. I don't use google apps, for various reasons, so Android is a poor fit for me.

The large screen is a huge advantage to my aging eyes. The "os fragmentation and slow updates" has been a real pain, but it is getting better. Samsung has been great updating my S3. The Nexus 4 eliminates that issue completely. I've never used Omni Focus, but I've seen demos and I would really like to try it. Not sure about malware, I don't know anyone on either platform who's ever had an issue.

I suspect that if Apple release the iPhone on Verizon first, I'd be an iphone user. They didn't and ATT has abysmal coverage in my area, so I went Android and like it. I always hated earlier versions of iPods, and find family iPad is a PITA, so I don't suspect I'd have been any happier with the iPhone had I gotten one first.

What ever works. I still miss my old Palm 3.
 
jrdouce;108481 said:
I've never used Omni Focus, but I've seen demos and I would really like to try it. Not sure about malware, I don't know anyone on either platform who's ever had an issue.
...
I still miss my old Palm 3.

I have a love/hate relation with OmniFocus. If the Palm task app was a Model T, then OmniFocus is a Hummer: it's a lot more complicated, you can go a lot of places, but you use a lot of gas along the way, and the ride is not really better.
 
Top