• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Tracking Shots in the Dark

How do you track the "shot in the dark" chances that you take? For example, we are trying to locate a spokesperson for a DVD Demo we are putting together. We obviously would like to have a well-recognized drummer to promote our product, so I am sending out emails to managers and crossing my fingers. I may not even get a response, so should I bother tracking these at all until I get a response? We have a project setup already to do the video and a secondary project to find a spokesperson. I have a list of people to target and I have sent the emails. Now I am just waiting... :roll:
 
I vote yes.

Project: Sponsor secured

N/A: Waiting for rsvp from [insert drummer's rep here]

Now, if it makes sense to drop the idea completely if you don't hear from these folks by a certain date, then I might add a "sunset" reminder in your calendar for a month or two out that says "Cancel sponsor project if no rsvp by today" or something to that effect.) Otherwise, you can consider ramping up your follow-ups (send a certified letter rather than an email?) after a couple of weeks...

HTH...YMMV.
 
I agree with the response above. I recently did this with a survey sent out to managment. I had a completed by date and followed up date and then a sunset date to close the project weather I had a response or not
 
Top