Transition from a daily planner to a GTD setup

Hello,

I've practiced GTD on and off since 2005. In recent years, I've been using a paper-based day-timer system, similar to Franklin Planner. My daily actions are supplemented by my project list, someday-maybe lists, and higher horizons. I find that simple flat lists is not enough to keep me motivated, so scheduling tasks (and then sticking to that plan) has worked extremely well. I've always appreciated the daily notes section as a means to record new actions and reference items, as well and retrieve them later. Old pages are easily stored chronologically for later use.

My past success at managing life and work aside, I feel the need for more mental space, room for creativity, and flexibility. To that end I'm exploring my options for how I physically organize my workload. I've used the DAC guides on setting up a paper planner with limited success. I realized that one of my biggest mental barriers is the treatment and archiving of old pages. How do I retrieve information such as when an action was completed in an efficient way? It's been enough that I'll use such a setup for a few weeks, then get frustrated when I can't find older information, and return to the chronological setup of the Day-Timer.

I've come to the following conclusion of my needs, and am looking for a few best practices. I get the GTD methodology, but I feel like I'm continually spinning my wheels with its implementation. It's almost too flexible.

1. I need a paper-based analog system. I am in the urban planning and development field, and spend much of my time away from the computer. Multiple attempts with tech/cloud solutions haven't worked. This includes file storage and Evernote, which are blocked by my corporate network. Personal and business need to ideally be in the same system.

2. I need to quickly retrieve specifics, sometimes from months to years in the past. My current planner's indexing system has been great.

3. I need a way to store old pages and record my progress on my projects for reporting to superiors, the weekly review, etc.

4. I'm a visual person that likes seeing a dashboard of my current day, week, or month. If information is buried, it will often fall through the cracks.

Any help is much appreciated!

Longstreet

Professor of microbiology and infectious diseases
Exactly....if this works for you, why change it? You do not have to follow every component of GTD to the letter. We are all different and what works well for one does not for another. If you are happy and productive using your daily planner,then by all means stick with it!

devon.marie

Registered
have you looked at Bullet Journalling, and whether that could provide a potential tweak to your existing set up that might offer what you're looking at? If not, check out www.bulletjournal.com

I second this. If you're looking to add flexibility to your current system, then bullet journaling might be something you're interested in. You can then just keep your task lists as Collections in your BuJo, scheduling some each day as you would in your planner.

TheWazeGuy

Registered
I also like www.bulletjournal.com. I think it is a great paper-based system.

The things I am personally missing in any paper-based system are:
1. Security and Backup - If I lose my smartphone, the data is protected by password and is backed up in the cloud.
2. Alerts - I use them for events, locations and timers.
3. Avoid double entry and copying in recurring tasks and events, and between year/month/week/day views.
4. Camera - which has become a way to document everything for me. I use it a few times every day.