Trying to get around the horizon of focus

DPLussier

GTD|Connect
Hi all,

Relatively to the GTD univers.

I’m trying to fully understand the horizon of focus.

I‘ve tried to find more exemples.

And suddenly, i tough this is like a business?

Horizon 5 = Share holders

Horizon 4 = CEO

Horizon 3 = Director of Operations

Horizon 2 = Director of the site

Horizon 1 = Foreman

Ground = Employee

Let me know if i’m on the right way to understand those principles.

Thank you,

DPLussier

dtj

Registered
IMHO, thats pretty close. I personally don't necessarily consider them nearly as much as I should. I'd probably try and figure out a stack with a different metaphor, because of intrinsic bias and stuff in a company metaphor. The reason for that is that, with a company metaphor, different layers can be at cross purposes to each other, rather than have strong alignment. The misalignment comes from each level has notions of what is good for the other layers. With a company metaphor, a CEO may have their own take on what is provided for shareholders. In the case of thinking ahead, they may forego current profits for sustainable future profits, whereas the shareholders want results now. It's a muddled sense of "value" compared to just using like an altitude metaphor.

gtdstudente

Registered
Hi all,

Relatively to the GTD univers.

I’m trying to fully understand the horizon of focus.

I‘ve tried to find more exemples.

And suddenly, i tough this is like a business?

Horizon 5 = Share holders

Horizon 4 = CEO

Horizon 3 = Director of Operations

Horizon 2 = Director of the site

Horizon 1 = Foreman

Ground = Employee

Let me know if i’m on the right way to understand those principles.

Thank you,

DPLussier
Nice . . . yet another way to make GTD your own . . . love it! Ps. I am always 'bossing' myself around Pps. I use the Horizons for each of my Four Areas of [Life] Focus. Thank you

BZwas

Registered
I try to think of it like who you share it with.

Horizon 5 is only for you, and maybe your family.

Horizon 4 is also generally personal, but maybe you share it with a coach, mentor, and sometimes your supervisor.

Horizon 3 Is the top line of your job description. It should be approved by your supervisor and your peers/team should be familiar with it.

Horizon 2 is the meat of your job description: everyone should know your responsibilities, and they should fit within the larger organization's goals.

Horizon 1 is more tactical. Your boss should know all of it, and your team/peers should no the relevant parts. But, it changes too much to be on a job description.

Horizon 0 is again personal, because it is so nitty-gritty that it is inefficient to share with others. The exception is when you are stuck on a project, and somebody (boss, peer) needs to help you think up next actions.

It might be useful for organizations (say departments of 10-50 people) to have a common place where everybody can see everybody else's horizons 2 and 3 (and maybe 1), so they can all be straight on who is doing what. I've never been able to implement this - at least partially becuase it is hard work to get everybody to clear up their horizons.

TesTeq

Registered
I try to think of it like who you share it with.

Horizon 5 is only for you, and maybe your family.

Horizon 4 is also generally personal, but maybe you share it with a coach, mentor, and sometimes your supervisor.

Horizon 3 Is the top line of your job description. It should be approved by your supervisor and your peers/team should be familiar with it.

Horizon 2 is the meat of your job description: everyone should know your responsibilities, and they should fit within the larger organization's goals.

Horizon 1 is more tactical. Your boss should know all of it, and your team/peers should no the relevant parts. But, it changes too much to be on a job description.

Horizon 0 is again personal, because it is so nitty-gritty that it is inefficient to share with others. The exception is when you are stuck on a project, and somebody (boss, peer) needs to help you think up next actions.

It might be useful for organizations (say departments of 10-50 people) to have a common place where everybody can see everybody else's horizons 2 and 3 (and maybe 1), so they can all be straight on who is doing what. I've never been able to implement this - at least partially becuase it is hard work to get everybody to clear up their horizons.
@BZwas Why do you think Horizon 5 is so personal? Let's say you're Elon Musk and you define SpaceX purpose: "Mars colonization". Shouldn't you tell everybody about the purpose of organization that you've created?

BZwas

Registered
@BZwas Why do you think Horizon 5 is so personal? Let's say you're Elon Musk and you define SpaceX purpose: "Mars colonization". Shouldn't you tell everybody about the purpose of organization that you've created?
A fair point. But I think that's actually on his Horizon 3 or 4. He has other interests (PayPal, Twitter, Tesla, ...).

Now, if you want talk about the horizons of a company - sure! Horizons 4 and 5 are mission, vision, principles, etc.

I think it's different for individuals as horizon 5 actually exists above your present job or company, thus maybe not always the best to share with your boss or coworkers. Horizon 4 will often be at a higher level than your present position, so maybe still not the best to share with your boss or team. I personally have shared part of my horizon 4 with my boss, but that is because we are at a time of transition and it is important to discuss how people's jobs will change.

Murray

Registered
I would have put "colonise Mars" under the heading of "vision". Then, bumping up a level from that, why does he want to colonise Mars?