Tungsten C VS Tungsten E

G

GTime

Looking for input. I have a Tungsten E that I have been using for more than a year now and I have been looking at the Tungsten C because of the keyboard. Does anyone have a Tungsten C? Looking to see if is worth the purchase. Thanks!

E

eno

GTime said:
Looking for input. I have a Tungsten E that I have been using for more than a year now and I have been looking at the Tungsten C because of the keyboard. Does anyone have a Tungsten C? Looking to see if is worth the purchase. Thanks!
Personally, I don't think the keyboards (the built-in type, rather than the foldable ones) do increase 'typing speed' a lot (at least for me).

TesTeq

Registered
No speed increase with built-in keyboards.

eno said:
Personally, I don't think the keyboards (the built-in type, rather than the foldable ones) do increase 'typing speed' a lot (at least for me).
I fully agree with you. My data entry speed using small bulit-in keyboards (even Nokia Communicator keyboards) is lower than while I'm using Grafitti.
TesTeq

DallasLawyer

Registered
I'll throw in a dissenting opinion. I bought the Tungsten C precisely because of the better keyboard. For me, it is much easier to type on this type of keyboard, especially when I'm typing more than a few words. I definitely would recommend it if the keyboard is a concern to you.

I haven't used the Tungsten E, but I have a Blackberry (the newer phone-style model) and I hate that keyboard. It's just terrible -- it takes me forever to type out a relatively short email. I never would have bought it, but my company allows remote email access only with a Blackberry.

BrianK

Registered
I have a palm with a thumb board, a Sony TG50. Maybe I just couldn't get the hang of graffiti, but for text entry, which I try to rarely do on my palm, the keyboard is far faster than graffiti, if only because it's more accurate for me.

For anything more than a few words, though, both are horribly slow. A fold-out keyboard for the palm or entry on a computer are the ways to go.

A

ActionGirl

I have a Tungsten E. I tried using Message Ease after someone here recommended it. It makes it much easier to enter text than tapping the qwerty keyboard, though of course nothing like actually typing on a full-sized keyboard. I think it was even free. you might try that before buying a whole new device.

B

Bob Burtt

Bye bye to Palm...

Personally, I used Palm years ago and made the switch to a Pocket PC. I have used iPAQ's for some time. The one thing I love about them is ActiveSync, the sync software for a Pocket PC. You don't have to hit a button to syncronize, it syncs "live". So, when you make a change in Outlook, it updates instantly. Therefore, when I'm in a rush, I can grab it and leave without having to wait for it to sync.

Also, it runs on Windows and there are man great software apps for this thing.

Take a look at an iPAQ, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Bob :)

D

donboy

Forget slow keyboards - try Messageease or Fitaly

I gave up on keyboarding. Manufacturers are even putting them on phones but who can type reliably and quickly with their thumbs? Or with one hand?

Messagease (my favorite, and free) and Fitaly are two companies that have created super-efficient and super-easy soft keypads for all the letters and more. I have been using Messagease for about a week and I am already nearly as fast as I can type on a regular keyboard.

If you believe in David Allen's recommendation for using quick-keys and shortcuts for speed, then these you should seriously consider these programs for your handheld.

I'm a bit surprised David hasn't recommended them himself!

http://www.exideas.com/ME/index.html

http://fitaly.com/

C

chinarut

Nokia 6820

I toyed around with a Nokia 6820 and thought it was great. It was very effective for writing email. My only gripes are that (1) it didn't feel very ergonomic after awhile (2) no integration with my task list :)

that said, sea water hit my phone on the Thai new year and I've been pretty much home-bound ever since so haven't really had the pressing need to get a new one yet.

my 2 cents

M

mruseless

Try a Treo

I have tried it all... folding keyboards, graffitti 1, graffitti 2, Fitaly, and the thumboard on my Treo 650 smartphone.

I rate them in the following order for speed:
1. folding keyboard
2. Fitaly
3. Thumboard
4. Grafitti

However, I rate them this way for ease of use (on the go):
1. Thumboard
2. Grafitti
3. Fitaly
4. folding keyboard

They are almost opposites. In other words, in my experience speed is inversely proportional to ease of use. In my job, I have to bring out my Treo, type a couple words or a note or Action item, then put it away. The thumboard is indispensible because I can enter items without pulling out the stylus. However, writing long emails or notes is difficult. That's why I carry a folding keyboard for those times I have the time to write something longer.

Eric