Turning of email notifications in MacOS and iOS

mmurray

Registered
Sometimes I would like to easily turn off all the email notifications on my mac book air, iPad and iPhone. Currently I do this by going into Notifications on all three devices and disabling everything and then quiting Mail on the mac book air.

Surely there must be an easier way ? I would like the phone and texts to still work but not be bothered by emails popping up during the evening and starting my brain thinking about things I need to do tomorrow. Ideally I would like the counts not even to appear so I'm not thinking "5 emails have arrived I wonder what they are".

Of course I could have zen like calm and just not be bothered by the notifications. But that's a longer project :).

Michael

mmurray

Registered
Thanks.

Do you mean airplane mode ? That's going to kill the phone / text which I would want to keep on. Is it possible to turn off internet only ? Ideally I would like to kill the email only as I have uses for the web browsing, instapaper, weather forecasts ...

Ciprian COSMA

Registered
On IOS - I turn off mail, on Mac- go offline from Mail App

Hi,
On my iPhone/Ipad I usually turn off Email. Go to Settings->Mail and select the Account and turn off only email. I keep contacts and notes still on.

I only turn them back on when I am travelling. This way it keeps me focused and not always picking up the phone when I hear the sound.

On Mac- I have the email client open but it is on offline mode ( Right click on the account and select Take Account Offline).

The emails I write I save them as drafts and at predefined times I go on line (6 am, 10 am, 2 pm and 5 pm- inbox zero), send everything and collect/process what has been accumulated...

mmurray

Registered
Ciprian COSMA;109305 said:
Hi,
On my iPhone/Ipad I usually turn off Email. Go to Settings->Mail and select the Account and turn off only email. I keep contacts and notes still on.

I only turn them back on when I am travelling. This way it keeps me focused and not always picking up the phone when I hear the sound.

On Mac- I have the email client open but it is on offline mode ( Right click on the account and select Take Account Offline).

The emails I write I save them as drafts and at predefined times I go on line (6 am, 10 am, 2 pm and 5 pm- inbox zero), send everything and collect/process what has been accumulated...

Thanks Ciprian, I was trying this today. On my iPhone (latest iOS) turning of Mail likes that seems to dump the email in folders on the iPhone. When I turn it back on it has to download them again. Is that what happens to you or am I missing a way to make it save the emails?

Yep on the Mac it's easier just switch it to offline.

Michael

Ciprian COSMA

Registered
Turning off Mail on IOS

Indeed, when you turn them off in IOS it removes the folders from the iPhone and when you turn them back on it downloads them again. It depends what kind of server you are using I guess (IMAP, PO, Exchange).

I am on Exchange and there is a setting how many days to push/sync ( I have 3 days ) ; and that works for me because my inbox goes regularly to zero...so there is not much to re-download again when I turn MAil back on....
And all processed email ( reference material) is archived on a local archive...

Hope that helps...

Attached files