turning off your e-mail notification?

D

dabnyc

Does anyone have any thoughts on turning off the sound of new e-mail dropping in your inbox? I find it distracting, but do you feel that you need to be on top of it all the time?

aderoy

Registered
Both Sound and visual indicator are off.

Outlook (company forced) is open with just Tasks after the initial email processing in the morning.

I will check email only at the start of day, right after lunch then 20 minutes prior to closing up for the day.

Do not think that email is essential interruption, have to get work done. For the record I get approx 75-100 emails a day that require either action or response.

M

Mike Ferguson

I also leave email notification off and I'll never turn it on again. I have not yet developed the discipline of set times for checking email, but I will work for hours without checking it. My concentration is much better. There has been some retraining among some of my daily contacts. They were use to nearly immediate responses to their emails in the past (the days when I would complain about not being able to do anything all day except respond to email), but most have learned to call me if they really need an answer immediately, or that they are not really in need of an urgent answer, or that they are really much smarter than they thought they were and they knew the answer all along. Oh, and I have learned these things for myself as well.

BrianK

Registered
Notification off, with exceptions

I turned my Outlook notification off to eliminate those interruptions. I, too, have had to retrain some people I work with to understand that if they need a response immediately, they need to call instead.

I do have a couple of exceptions, and I've set up rules for popup notifications for messages from certain people (my wife, my carpool partner), and I've set up one to notify me when I get a high-priority message. This way I'm only interrupted for things I really need to know about, and because I know I'll be interrupted for messages that are important to me, I know I don't have to constantly check my email.

T

taxgeek

I was inspired by this thread to turn my notifications off. Thanks all! I too was a slave to them. Nothing to "relieve" you from the burden of concentrating on a not very fun project like an email from a friend . . .

And BrianK, I didn't know you could make a rule like that about notifications, great idea!

Taxgeek

A

Anonymous

I leave my email notification on for several reasons. 1) Generally, even if I glance at unimportant emails as they come in, I don't get overly distracted from my work. 2) If I'm really in the middle of something important that requires great focus, I don't look at the email till I'm ready to. 3) My important coworkers expect timely (i.e., instant) replies.

On the plus side, it's all email, rather than phone calls in my field, so at least I don't have many calls distracting me. I find calls much more potentially disruptive because they require synchronous communication rather than the freedom of asychrony with email.

On the other hand, I certain recognize the potential need to restrict email checking. I have strongly advocated this approach with a friend I've coached. Once he checks his email, it could be a loooooooooong time before he surfaces to do something else.

-andersons

T

taxgeek

What does everybody do about phone calls? I find phone calls much more disruptive than emails because the required synchronous communication (good word, andersens!) forces refocusing my thoughts if I answer the phone. Plus phone calls just irritate me generally - as a true Type A, I like to be control of who I talk to and when! :oops:

Options, I suppose:

1. Have secretary routinely answer all calls and take messages, except for specific important people. Aren't you still tempted to look up and check out the caller ID though? I am.

2. Turn off the ringer for chunks of time to work. This works pretty well, until I forget that the ringer is off, and leave it off. Hee hee.

3. Go to the library (we have one in the firm) for uninterrupted time.

4. Put fake out of office message on voicemail saying I'll be back in a week and until then am unreachable and if they need anything before then, tough sh*t. :lol: Just kidding, although I have contemplated it! Imagine this: ("Go away. I have caller ID. If I didn't answer the phone, it's probably because you aren't high on my priority list right now. Leave a message with what you want, and if I think it's worthwhile, I'll call you back sometime much later when I work my way down the list to you.") That sounds like a good way to get fired fast!

Seriously, any other ideas?
Thanks.
Taxgeek

Z

zen_tiggr

(I'm forced to use Outlook, but rarely get internal e-mails. However, those that I do get are considered generally important to vital priorities. Go figure. :)

I've turned all notifications off, *and* I don't have Outlook running most of the time. I set up a Windows scheduled task to run it at 8:00 (my official start time) and every preset number of minutes after that, to a last time at 4:00, the end of the day. I have it start minimized, so it just shows up in the taskbar... since I'm a programmer, and routinely switching between multiple programs, I'll see it within a few minutes when it's there.

Depending on the 'busy' factor of the projects I'm involved in, I adjust the number of times it pops up as desired. Today, it's set to 8:00/12:00/4:00 only. In a couple of weeks, when the dormat "BIG" project comes back into the software side, it'll get set to much more often.

End result: I see the 'new mail' icon in the tray if there is something, and only as often as I need to. No mail, I right click/Close and Outlook goes away silently. Ahh, peace!

:)

T

TK

I have a post on my blog that should give you some insght on why NOT to use a notifier. The bottom line is that you don't want to get sidetracked by constant interruptions.

M

mochant

Nice blog TK

TK said:
I have a post on my blog that should give you some insght on why NOT to use a notifier. The bottom line is that you don't want to get sidetracked by constant interruptions.

TK: Nice blog. You have some terrific advice in your posts. Please write more!

I love the "door is open when it's open" approach. It works really well for me. When my door is closed (the exception), my co-workers (and boss) know it means I need the door closed.

ameasha

Registered
outlook question

I figured out how to stop the alert noise, but I haven't been able to keep that little envelope from showing up in my system tray when I have new e-mail. Does anyone know where to turn that off? Thanks!

BrianK

Registered
Re: outlook question

ameasha said:
I figured out how to stop the alert noise, but I haven't been able to keep that little envelope from showing up in my system tray when I have new e-mail. Does anyone know where to turn that off? Thanks!

Depends on your version. For Outlook 2002:
On the menu bar, click Tools, then Options
On the Preferences tab, click the Email Options button
Click the Advanced Email Options button
In the middle section, under When New Items Arrive, uncheck the box for Show an envelope icon in the system tray

ameasha

Registered
Looks like we're still running Outlook 2000. I don't see that as an option. Thanks for the help though.

J

jmarkey

I keep my e-mail notification on, but I don't really feel tempted to look at every e-mail as it comes in. Instead, I process my e-mail inbox at various intervals throughout the day. However, I would not hesitate to turn the notification off if I thought it was interfering with my ability to get things done.

For telephone calls, I prefer to set aside certain times of the day that I make and receive calls. If there is a client with whom I speak regularly, I try to set a specific date and time to speak. If the client knows that I will return calls at certain times, then the client will usually leave me alone the rest of the time unless it is important. If I receive a call from a client when I need to work on something else, I simply explain to the client that their call is important to me and that I would like to give them my complete attention. Then I set up another time to call them back. Although you can't always manipulate your telephone call schedule in this way, there usually is some flexibility in setting up your phone work. I often change the outgoing message on my voice mail to let my callers know when they might expect a return call. Many people have favorably commented about how helpful my outgoing message is (e.g., Although I'm in the office today, I will be in a meeting from 10 until 12 and will return calls this afternoon...).

ceehjay

Registered
ameasha said:
Looks like we're still running Outlook 2000. I don't see that as an option. Thanks for the help though.
I just checked my Que Using Microsoft Office 2000. Info re the envelope in the system tray says that ". . . you can't eliminate this icon."

Carolyn

jerendeb

Registered
Outlook 2003

In Outlook 2003 you can click on File, Work Offline. Everything in outlook is available except email doesn't work. When you want your mail you uncheck it. Very valuable for keeping things quiet. You can even compose emails which remain in the Outbox until you go online. A very handy feature. So you can keep your noises & notifications on because if you're offline nothing happens.

A

Anonymous

aderoy said:
Do not think that email is essential interruption, have to get work done. For the record I get approx 75-100 emails a day that require either action or response.

I don't feel so bad anymore. :p

aderoy

Registered
I try to think along these lines
- snail mail comes in only once a day
- Courier packages once sometimes twice (if two different companies)
These are checked twice daily (at start of day for paper mail then after lunch for the courier)

So why does email get checked more than any other?
Can not always breakfree of things that must be done during the day inorder to do what someone else thinks is important (heck it could be a joke?!?)

Phone and/or pager gets the first cut of being answered. Reason is of course:
SysAdmin for a few unix boxes and a small VMS cluster - they (the computers) will page me if one of the 'watchdog' processes find a problem. I must answer them, heck keeps the food on the table.

Phones - will there is CallerID that sometimes 'filter' calls, seems I just did not hear the ringer.

At the end of the day the InBox (paper and electronic ) is cleared, actions done or atleast scheduled for the future, any followups or replies dealt with. I get to leave the office with a strong sense of being done, no worries.

No popups or sounds from Outlook trying to annouce the latest email. Getting Things Done is the name of the game.

ps: hope the boss does not see the line about filtering of phone calls...

B

bradtwurst

ameasha said:

I don't know if this will work or not :?: , but If you are using windows xp, I would suggest trying the 'inactive icons' feature. Right-click on the task bar, select 'properties', make sure the 'Hide inactive icons' box on the taskbar tab is checked. Click the customize button. Scroll through the list until you find the outlook icon that you want to 'disapear'. Change the selection from 'hide when inactive' to 'always hide'. This should at least make it 'out of sight, out of mind'.

HTH,
James