Ubiquitous Capture Tool

TesTeq

Registered
Rotring mini pen was much higher quality then David Allen mini pen.

The wallet is perfect for my purposes except for the pen which is much lower quality than the previous one (Rotring). But Rotring mini pen had no David Allen logos on it. ;-)

choldener2

Registered
Rhodia notebooks as capture tool

I use the 3X4 inch Rhodia notebook as my capture tool - I buy them 10 at a time. The paper is great, hard and smooth, 80 pages, micro-perfed so they tear out easily with no 'crumbs' like spiral bound pads leave. Heavy cardboard back with a thin cardboard cover. About $2 each from Ship the Web. I'm still tempted by the Note Taker wallet, but in the mean time these do well. And, I finally have gotten the habit of tearing out the pages as soon as I can, so I usually have a blank when opening it - that's been great. I've been very happy with their quality and usability.

sdann

Registered
As a woman, I have a different concern. Because I use a purse or a briefcase, I always have a notepad (I use the little spiral notepad that leaves the crumbs) with me. However, the notepad is not always on my person. Unlike my grandmother, I do not always go everywhere in the building with my purse. Women also don't like to keep big, or even small, wallets in their pants or shirt pockets -well, I don't. How do women manage this?

Brent

Registered
The women I know at work carry a small notebook around the office. When they return to their desks, they process their notes into their system.

TesTeq

Registered
What about cell phone?

sdann;53762 said:
However, the notepad is not always on my person. Unlike my grandmother, I do not always go everywhere in the building with my purse. Women also don't like to keep big, or even small, wallets in their pants or shirt pockets -well, I don't. How do women manage this?

Do you have your cell phone with you all the time? Use its voice recorder function or stick some sticky notes to it.

kewms

Registered
I use a slim business card case and a small pen. Something like a pad of 1x2 sticky notes and a golf pencil would be even tinier, but that would be too small and fiddly for me. Or, as someone else suggested, there's the voice recorder feature of your cell phone.

Finally, in an office setting you could simply borrow paper from whomever you're talking to and/or whatever desk is closest. Whether this would become annoying after a while probably depends on your office culture.

Katherine

Day Owl

Registered
I'm the opposite of Ruth McT. I almost never carry a handbag. All my clothes have pockets.

Right pocket: small wallet with driver's license, credit card and other necessary cards, business cards, folding money.

Left pocket: keys, small change, *and* the UCT: one folded 3 x 5 card and a stubby pencil or mini Pilot gel pen.

T

Thom

Girls and pockets and the ubiquitous capture device

sdann;53762 said:
As a woman, I have a different concern. Because I use a purse or a briefcase, I always have a notepad (I use the little spiral notepad that leaves the crumbs) with me. However, the notepad is not always on my person. Unlike my grandmother, I do not always go everywhere in the building with my purse. Women also don't like to keep big, or even small, wallets in their pants or shirt pockets -well, I don't. How do women manage this?

Agreed! Women's pants and shirt pockets are not intended to hold anything more than a hanky - the facts of bottoms, hips and breasts combined with close-fitting clothing designs mean that we don't have the leeway most men have in their pocket areas - and we don't tolerate unsightly bulges like the boys do! ;)

That said, if you are working in an office (you mention not "going everywhere in the building" with a purse) then there would be jacket options that would take a small capture system (some 3 x 5" cards or a Moleskine or something smaller and a Rotring esprit mini or similar). In my office I either have something in a jacket pocket, even if it's just a single file card and a pen or pencil, or if I think there's any likelihood of me needing to capture something substantial - say a meeting - then I'll take a notebook along.

Everything else aside, there is nothing more reassuring and impressive to colleagues than to see that (a) you're obviously prepared and (b) that you're actually capturing in writing the things that you or they are agreeing to do.

Outside the office I almost always have some kind of purse or bag with me, so no problem there. On rare occasions when I head out without a bag then I usually dress accordingly, wearing some kind of jacket or coat that will accommodate keys, wallet, phone, notebook...

By the way, does iPhone not have some function for jotting notes using its keyboard? If not, there's another reason for me to wait for the second generation!

sdann

Registered
I really appreciate your ideas. I need to work out a variety of UCT tools, depending upon the situation - a new accessory, if you will. The little notepad with a pen in the pocket (if it doesn't compromise the fit) is best then in most situations. I pulled out all my phone holders, some of which have a belt clip. In some there is a separate section for small cards. I can just attach it to my waist band like a mini-fanny pack or a large pager. My current Motorola doesn't have any memo feature, like my old phone did; I didn't even think to look for that when I bought it, since all I wanted was something narrow with the additional itunes feature. I should've been on this forum before I purchased that.

kewms

Registered
sdann;53873 said:
My current Motorola doesn't have any memo feature, like my old phone did; I didn't even think to look for that when I bought it, since all I wanted was something narrow with the additional itunes feature. I should've been on this forum before I purchased that.

You can also call your own voice mail to leave a memo. Several services will convert a voice message to text and email it to you as well.

Katherine

Sievert

Registered
Digital Voice Recorder

I use a little Olympus vn1100 digital voice recorder. looks enough like a cellphone that you don't feel stupid using it and stores loads and is light and small enough to keep in a chest pocket.

Costs about £20 in the UK

Morning routine at work is to listen to all the notes I've made and process them accordingly.

Works really well for me and doubles up as a handy tool for recording discussions at meetings when you don't have a note-taker available.

A

Arnold Howard

terminalwriter;53083 said:
I've got all of my lists in Google Docs, so although I can't edit them, I do always have access to my lists through my phone. I just need an easier way to capture I guess...

Instead of using a digital recorder to take notes while I commute, I memorize my notes. Then I write them down later. I use a memory technique called the link system that I learned from a book by Harry Lorayne.

Second, I maintain a to do list in a Word file and update it weekly. My daily to do list is on a piece of paper that I carry with me. That gives me the satisfaction of marking off items as I finish them.

Arnold Howard

inkedmn

Registered
Another vote for the Levenger Shirt Pocket Briefcase - been using it since this past Father's Day (t'was a gift from my lovely wife) and I feel naked without it.

I prefer it to notebooks because the index cards are (obviously) not bound together, so there's no pressure to write correctly. If one looks like crap, it gets a one-way to the round file and I start again with a fresh card. I probably blow through 100 cards per week on just capturing ideas.

Best of luck

Jay Levitt

Registered
TesTeq;53121 said:
I have a problem with voice recorder / mobile phone's voice memo function - I hate to retrieve the voice information. So a voice recorder becomes the UBH - Ubiquitous Black Hole. :)

I had (have) the same problem with my phone (LG VX8100). There are no visible reminders that you have stored voice memos; in fact, they're something like five menus deep next to the downloadable ring tones.

Yes, you can leave voicemail to yourself, but that just takes too long for me (as, therefore, does Jott). I need to say things before I forget them. By the time I'm waiting for a call to go through, it's too late. In fact, the VX8100 takes about 10 seconds to start recording, and even that's a bit much sometimes.

My next cell phone purchase is going to place easy voice memos very high on the priority list. In *theory*, it shouldn't be that hard to set things up so that, whenever your phone's in range of the computer, it'll automatically transfer all the voice memos over via Bluetooth.

Of course, in theory, theory and practice are the same, but in practice, that's not always true...

I'll report back if I do/don't have any luck with that.

On my PC, I use MyLifeOrganized's Rapid Task Entry feature - CTRL-SHIFT-M from anywhere brings up a free-form text field that'll let you enter individual tasks, nested tasks, notes, even reminder date/times. (It should work on a Mac too via Parallels/VMFusion.)

I used to carry around a Pocket PC as well (which also runs MLO and syncs automatically to the PC), but lately I'm working from home so I haven't needed it. Next cell phone will be a PPC as well, though, so I'll have that option again.

At my bedside, I had a really good pen w/built-in LED to write at night. Lost it, can't remember what brand it was, gotta find it again.

And - here's the cool part - in the shower, I have a waterproof notebook and pencil.

smithdoug

Registered
The humble 3x5 card

I don't believe that it's necessary to constrain ourselves to just one capture device. I use--and have used--many of those mentioned here. But one I find especially useful is the humble 3x5 card, which can be purchased several hundred or thousand at a time in many office supply stores for a pittance. They fit easily in a shirt pocket yet provide enough space for most note-taking. Were you aware that Gulf War 1 was run on 3x5 cards? General Norman Schwarzkopf, the Centcom commander who planned and oversaw GW1, gave much of the credit for the success of the operation to General Gus Pagonis, who was in charge of logistics, including the rapid redeplyoment of thousands of troups and tanks that made the Hail Mary flanking operation possible. In his book Moving Mountains, Pagonis describes how he used 3x5 cards to facilitate communications up and down the chain of command throughout the theatre of operations.

Inspired by posts in these forums by Jason Womack (describing everything he had in his Davidco notetaker wallet) and Marc Orchant (pointing out that the amortized cost of his 4-year-old notetaker wallet amounted to only a few pennies per day) I ordered one of the official David Allen wallets. But before I got one, they went out of production for an indeterminable period of time. I purchased another wallet that appears to be quite similar in concept and it has served me well. It holds my driver's license, credit card, health insurance card, Starbucks card, etc. and a notepad and collapsible pen. But most of the time, when I need to take a note, I find myself reaching for one of the 3x5 cards and pen in my shirt pocket.

ojibwa13

Registered
Notetaker Wallet, Jott, and Pocket Moleskine

For quick thoughts, while not driving, I use the Notetaker Wallet. I have had it for a little over a year and it is one of the best purchases I've made.

If I am driving or somewhere where I don't have quick access to my wallet, I use Jott. One button press or voice command and I can leave myself a message that will be delivered to my Inbox to process later.

If I have time to develop ideas/thoughts further, I have a Pocket Moleskine to record these. I use a Cross Tec3; black pen/red pen/pencil all in one. Using multiple colors makes it easier when I review later.

MarinaMartin

Registered
Who cares, so long as it's captured?

I use, and love, a small Moleskine as my main capture device. It's pretty rugged and unobtrusive.

However, I'm constantly struck with inspiration at odd times, and I've been known to sketch out new concepts on napkins, magazine subscription cards, the inside of a cardboard box -- where there's a will, there's a way.

I think the more important focus should be to make sure that your captures all get into your Inbox, and are consequently processed. If you're waiting on a table and are struck by an idea, write it on a napkin or rip off a couple of inches of cash register tape, then stick it in your pocket and drop it in your inbox when you get home.

To address the question of what women do for a ubiquitous capture device -- I work at home, and carry my purse everywhere with me. Where are you going throughout the building that you'd be carrying nothing? Again, I think you can capture a sudden thought on anything, so long as you process it when you get back. I have TONS of meeting notes with random segues written out in the margins.

Marina

sgtaw

Registered
Folded Paper

Since I always have a wallet, I keep a folded piece of paper in there. I fold it so it opens like a booklet.

It is hard to visualize this....but...

1. Fold in half lengthwise
2. Fold in half widthwise
3. Take one "flap" and fold it one way towards the middle
4. Take the other "flap" and fold it the "other was towards the middle

If you did that the way I do, you have an accordian-like booklet

This is perfect for me. I also took apart a plastic pen where the ink was used a bit and cut it to size to fit in my wallet.

Pen and paper always with me. Unless I forget my wallet!

Blessings,

Ed

thailandjames

Registered
Ubiquitous Capture Tool

Cheap and effective. I keep several Pocketmods in my pocket, along with a pen. I cut off some cereal boxes to file them in alphabetically by subject, although some of them are just used for jotted short ideas. :D