• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Unusual NA Context

  • Thread starter Thread starter Claudia
  • Start date Start date
C

Claudia

Guest
I thought I would share my discovery of a very unusual context for next actions.

Through my work, I've had some discussions with a zoo veterinarian about how he plans his work. He talked about what he calls "opportunistic activities" and gave me the following example:

The vet receives a request from a researcher to measure the distance between the nostrils of the resident rhinoceros. As an intelligent man, he is not inclined to perform this measurement without sedating the animal. On the other hand, sedation always carries a measure of risk, so to undertake a sedation just to perform this measurement is inappropriate. So, the vet keeps this request on a list of opportunistic activities for the rhinoceros, so that if the rhino is sedated for any other reason, he can also knock off the nostril measurement at the same time.

I have to admit, I am very happy that my personal NA list does not include the context "when the rhinoceros is sedated", but it's interesting to know that it's out there!
 
I'm pleased to say I've learned something today;

In my work, if I happen upon a sedated rhinoserous, I now know my N/A will be to measure the distance between his nostrils. Now please reassure me that he doesn't also need to be checked for a hernia.
 
Rhino

I'd put this in my "Someday/Maybe" list. Since I review my lists often, I'd find it just in time when I need it.
 
Top