Using email account as a collection tool etc

finklemcgraw

Registered
Idea collection tool

I've started using a voice note app that automatically e-mails my notes to pre-set address. Great for idea collection when you're on-the-go since it only takes two clicks (!) to record and send a note. I have an Android device, so I use netMemo, but there are probably similar apps for iPhone.

pxt

Registered
macgrl;87095 said:
---

I am going to see if I can get it set up with omnifocus next:D

Oh yes, I see that in Omnifocus > Preferences > Mail, there is already a setting for +omnifocus addresses.

And I like that you can control the Allowed From addresses. I'm always afraid someone will find out my system and start emailing stupid stuff into my Collector !

Todd V

Registered
re: using email account as a collection tool

Email is probably one of the quickest and easiest ways to collect information into your GTD system. I made it possible for my Ready-Set-Do! program on the mac to interact with email in ways that help you collect information directly to your Inbox as well as a "shuttle feature" that allows you to ping your computer for files you may need to work on.

Here is a podcast that describes how the Mail Rules work in Ready-Set-Do!. The conversation is specific to RSD but has application to whatever other GTD program or utility you may use.

DukeCity

Registered
pxt;86978 said:
Just a technical point too, you don't necessarily have to define an email alias.

If your email address was macgrl@me.com, you could send emails to addresses like macgrl+collector@me.com. Email standards says that this should arrive just fine. This can be any word you like.

So you can define a rule like this:
When email address is macgrl+c@me.com then move to folder Collector.

This is not an Apple thing, most email accounts support it, though I think not Outlook.

I just tried this. My main email account is a yahoo account. I tried both the + and the - and neither of them came through. I sent from another account and got almost instant failure messages on that account.

Any ideas?

macgrl

Registered
I also have a yahoo account and tried it with a - and a + sign. It didn't work for me either. It is possible that yahoo don't allow it

I have had an online chat with yahoo support and from what they say it would appear that they don't support it.