• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Using email account as a collection tool etc

Idea collection tool

I've started using a voice note app that automatically e-mails my notes to pre-set address. Great for idea collection when you're on-the-go since it only takes two clicks (!) to record and send a note. I have an Android device, so I use netMemo, but there are probably similar apps for iPhone.
 
macgrl;87095 said:
---

I am going to see if I can get it set up with omnifocus next:D

Oh yes, I see that in Omnifocus > Preferences > Mail, there is already a setting for +omnifocus addresses.

And I like that you can control the Allowed From addresses. I'm always afraid someone will find out my system and start emailing stupid stuff into my Collector !
 
re: using email account as a collection tool

Email is probably one of the quickest and easiest ways to collect information into your GTD system. I made it possible for my Ready-Set-Do! program on the mac to interact with email in ways that help you collect information directly to your Inbox as well as a "shuttle feature" that allows you to ping your computer for files you may need to work on.

Here is a podcast that describes how the Mail Rules work in Ready-Set-Do!. The conversation is specific to RSD but has application to whatever other GTD program or utility you may use.
 
pxt;86978 said:
Just a technical point too, you don't necessarily have to define an email alias.

If your email address was macgrl@me.com, you could send emails to addresses like macgrl+collector@me.com. Email standards says that this should arrive just fine. This can be any word you like.

So you can define a rule like this:
When email address is macgrl+c@me.com then move to folder Collector.

This is not an Apple thing, most email accounts support it, though I think not Outlook.

I just tried this. My main email account is a yahoo account. I tried both the + and the - and neither of them came through. I sent from another account and got almost instant failure messages on that account.

Any ideas?
 
I also have a yahoo account and tried it with a - and a + sign. It didn't work for me either. It is possible that yahoo don't allow it

I have had an online chat with yahoo support and from what they say it would appear that they don't support it.
 
Top