• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Using email with GTD

  • Thread starter Thread starter TimK
  • Start date Start date
T

TimK

Guest
There's been some discussion on these forums about using add-ins to adapt Outlook tasks to manage GTD Projects and Next Actions. I tried the Netcentrics add-in and experimented with other approaches. I found that most of my projects involved one or more email threads and associating those messages with tasks was awkward. I decided to try managing Projects and Next Actions with email folders and messages instead of tasks. FWIW, here is what I do...

I have an @Projects (email) top-level folder that contains one subfolder for each GTD Project I have. Any email related to a Project gets moved into the corresponding subfolder.

To create a Next Action, I send myself an email message. I use the category to indicate the GTD context: @office, @home, @errands, @waitingfor, etc. For @deferred I set a Follow Up flag with a reminder time. I also set a category for each Next Action that is to be taken face-to-face, say at a regularly scheduled meeting (@Alice, @Bob, etc.).

Common (potentially tedius) tasks involve filing messages (including Next Actions) from my Inbox into the appropriate @Projects subfolder and setting the context (category) for Next Actions. I use Outlook with NEO (the Nelson Email Organizer), a front-end that indexes messages for fast retrieval in a variety of ways. NEO has lots of nifty features, but the main advantage with respect to GTD is the way it handles categories and folders. Using a few keybindings and pop-up dialog boxes, it is very easy to assign a category to a message, retrieve messages by category, and move messages to Project subfolders.
 
Automatic filtering by/searching for projects

You can't always control how everyone involved in a project uses e-mail, but within my department we have standardised on including the project name or change request ID (for smaller "projects") at the beginning of the subject line of related e-mail. This makes it easier to automatically filter messages into folders, or to search by project in unsorted mail.

It's worth trying if you can do it :-)

aef
 
Re: Automatic filtering by/searching for projects

Yes, that would be great if you can get people to follow along.
 
Top