• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Using Outlook, but not with the add-in template

  • Thread starter Thread starter jrovner
  • Start date Start date
J

jrovner

Guest
I'm planning to use Outlook as my tool to implement the GTD system. Unfortunately, I can't install the add-in template, because my company has locked down Outlook to prevent customization. That means I'll have to implement GTD via categories, user-defined fields, etc.

Has anyone had any experience doing this? I could really use some advice. For example, I'd like to track each task by (a) the person or persons to whom I delegated it, (b) the project it pertains to and (c) if it's a task I will perform, the place where I will perform it (e.g., at the computer). If I try to do all of that with categories, then I'm going to wind up with a ton of categories, which will make category selection difficult. But if I don't use categories, then I'm not sure my task information will sync to my Blackberry.

Anyway, I'd really value your advice. Thanks very much.

Jeff
 
re: Outlook, but not with the add-in template

Jeff

The secret is to define a new Outlook Contacts folder for defining projects (sounds daft but works quite well, as it will have the right data links)

You can then use Outlook categories for all your @lists

regards

Julian
 
Thank you!

This is exactly what I've been looking for. Thanks so much!

Jeff
 
There is another way.

I often have a couple of hundred tasks delegated at any one time.

My project title includes the type of project and the person it has been handed off to and their company. Means I can sort by any part of this field using Alt i.

When I need an update I open the task and then forward it, which generates the correct title on the email, deleting the attachment task which included my note on the lastest position I have recorded.

Using cut and paste and standard forms I can then keep pressure on an army of people who are working for me with little difficulty.
 
Top