Using task managers + project management tools together

jenkins

Registered
Part of my job at my company is to find and implement IT solutions. I've recently been exposed to an overwhelming amount of SaaS, one of them being Asana, which seems great.

I was debating putting this in the Gear/Software forum, but it's really not a question about the software in particular. My question is: How do you use task management software in conjunction with project management software?

In the past, my "project management tools" have always fit neatly into the Project Support Material category (e.g., mind maps, outlines, roadmaps, work breakdowns, checklists, white boards). However, software such as Asana is not intended to be used as mere reference (it's not just brainstorming and project schedules) -- it is really more of a collaborative task management app. So what do you do? Do you keep track of the project on your Projects list but make some kind of note that the project is being tracked elsewhere?

Folke

Registered
jenkins said:
Do you keep track of the project on your Projects list but make some kind of note that the project is being tracked elsewhere?

Something like that. You may also have additional tasks that are related to the project but that you prefer to keep in your own list manager (e.g. tasks that are confidential or too detailed to be of interest to anyone else).

But for the stuff that is taken care of in the shared or specialized tool you would typically rely on that entirely, except perhaps for a few reminders that you duplicate into your own system if you feel a need to (e.g. list it as a project if you are afraid you might forget about its existence, or list an important project deadline etc.)

In the special case of Asana, though, there is yet another option. You might consider using it also as your own personal tool. It is quite OK for that purpose, too, I think, even if it is not quite my top choice for a personal list app.

jenkins

Registered
Folke said:
Something like that. You may also have additional tasks that are related to the project but that you prefer to keep in your own list manager (e.g. tasks that are confidential or too detailed to be of interest to anyone else).

But for the stuff that is taken care of in the shared or specialized tool you would typically rely on that entirely, except perhaps for a few reminders that you duplicate into your own system if you feel a need to (e.g. list it as a project if you are afraid you might forget about its existence, or list an important project deadline etc.)

In the special case of Asana, though, there is yet another option. You might consider using it also as your own personal tool. It is quite OK for that purpose, too, I think, even if it is not quite my top choice for a personal list app.

Thank you for the reply Folke.

Yes, I did consider switching over to Asana for personal use as well -- my plan at this point is to use it for business purposes, and if I end up loving it, making the switch organically.