• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

value-priced Palm advice?

  • Thread starter Thread starter zootski
  • Start date Start date
Z

zootski

Guest
Having started a thread on 'what PPC', I feel obliged to revisit the concept: Given that the Palm IIIx I broke was actually perfectly well suited to most of my GTD tasks (except that the OS was too old to support Chapura for calendar synchronization with Outlook), I am wondering if all you Palm fans could give an opinion: What is/are the best low-end Palm models?

I am assuming that the cheapest Zires are a bit too limited - the small screen puts me off.
 
Low end Palms

The Tungsten E looks like it would fit your needs well. Note that PalmOne is supposedly announcing new products on April 28.
 
Palm Zire 71

Just bought a Palm Zire 71 at Best Buy for about $200 after rebate. Thats a good deal. I'm surprised how well the camera works and I've found no glitches with the MP3 player.

The display is nice and I find OS to be the best as far as PDA's go. It syncs perfectly with Outlook via Pocket Mirror and comes with Adobe Acrobat for Palm and Palm Reader.

I wouldnt buy the little cheap Zire though.

The prices will fall as more trend toward smart phones. I know they only had one Zire 71 left at my local Best Buy.

Good luck

Mark in Texas
 
Consider a Zire 71

The Zire 71 is the least expensive Palm using the standard Palm cradle. It can be had for just over $200 right now, but look for price drops soon. It is widely rumored that Palm will announce a successor (Zire 72 is the most mentioned model designation) near the end of June. In many ways the Tungsten E is nicer at about the same price point, but it does not use the standard Palm cradle, which is a pain. I bought a Zire 71 for my wife and she likes it. It has a built-in camera, by the way.

Mike
 
Still missing the basic Palm PDA with metal case.

Since Palm V I am still missing the basic Palm PDA with metal case. I do not need movies, wireless Internet or camera. I want:
- basic PIM functions;
- high resolution color screen for readability;
- PC synchronization;
- simple (thin and light, no slider please) mechanical design.
Is it too difficult for Palm engineers?
TesTeq
 
Palm Values

Tungsten E is a Great value. Has all common fuctional basics. I love the docs to go & versamail. If you're not concerned w/Bluetooth or demand a cradle system it sells for ~$200. 8)
 
M500

This is a model that is a little more than a year old - and somehow there was some extra inventory that everyone discovered around the Holidays.

The price has dropped from it's original $400 to $100. It has a respectable 8 MB of RAM, uses the "Universal Connector" Cradle, and comes with such niceties as Documents to Go.
It has a black & white screen - but I think for the price and durability it is an outstanding value
 
Re: Still missing the basic Palm PDA with metal case.

TesTeq said:
Since Palm V I am still missing the basic Palm PDA with metal case. I do not need movies, wireless Internet or camera. I want:
- basic PIM functions;
- high resolution color screen for readability;
- PC synchronization;
- simple (thin and light, no slider please) mechanical design.
Is it too difficult for Palm engineers?
TesTeq

Sounds like you just described the Tungsten E--but without a metal case. Why do you want a metal case? I've many, many PDAs with and without and haven't noticed any benefit in terms of durability--only looks.

C
 
Re: Consider a Zire 71

mcogilvie said:
The Zire 71 is the least expensive Palm using the standard Palm cradle. It can be had for just over $200 right now, but look for price drops soon. It is widely rumored that Palm will announce a successor (Zire 72 is the most mentioned model designation) near the end of June. In many ways the Tungsten E is nicer at about the same price point, but it does not use the standard Palm cradle, which is a pain. I bought a Zire 71 for my wife and she likes it. It has a built-in camera, by the way.

Mike

You don't need to wait until June. The Zire 72 should be released next week.

C
 
Re: Still missing the basic Palm PDA with metal case.

Cikub said:
TesTeq said:
Since Palm V I am still missing the basic Palm PDA with metal case. I do not need movies, wireless Internet or camera. I want:
- basic PIM functions;
- high resolution color screen for readability;
- PC synchronization;
- simple (thin and light, no slider please) mechanical design.
Is it too difficult for Palm engineers?
TesTeq

Sounds like you just described the Tungsten E--but without a metal case. Why do you want a metal case? I've many, many PDAs with and without and haven't noticed any benefit in terms of durability--only looks.

C
The Tungsten E is everything you just described and actually WITH a metal case.

-m
 
Re: Still missing the basic Palm PDA with metal case.

Anonymous said:
The Tungsten E is everything you just described and actually WITH a metal case.

-m

It looks like metal, but that's just metallic paint. It's really plastic, though it looks quite nice (until it gets scratched up).

C
 
Re: Still missing the basic Palm PDA with metal case.

Cikub said:
Anonymous said:
The Tungsten E is everything you just described and actually WITH a metal case.

-m

It looks like metal, but that's just metallic paint. It's really plastic, though it looks quite nice (until it gets scratched up).

C

Hmmm... [Looks quizzically at my Tungsten E. Tap. Tap. :shock: :?: :!: :? ]

I stand corrected. Not sure if I should be :x or :cry: . I just bought it because my old Handspring died, I needed something rather quickly and it was within my budget range at the time. Been pretty satisfied so far, though not having a cradle is a negative. I'm waiting for the next generation of Treos.

-m :wink:
 
Tungsten E is OK

I agree with you that Tungsten E is the closest match to my expectations.
Palm V metal case was stylish, unique and simply I loved it.
The best upgrade of Tungsten E - for me - would be a device with small and thin metal case, without dedicated Graffiti area (shorter), and with Palm Universal Connector.
TesTeq
 
Re: Metal Case....

...did anyone see my post about the recent DEEP discounts on the m500's?
 
Vx and M500

Of course another option might be a second-user Vx or M500 from eBay or Amazon.

Gives the slim, metal ... etc all the criteria at a fraction of the price.

Old tech rocks!!!!!
 
Slim metal and readable screen

I would like to have Palm with slim metal case AND color, readable screen. Current high resolution displays are much better than those used in Palm V and 500.
TesTeq
 
Top