Video of David at a GTD coaching

TesTeq

Registered
OMG! The real golden nugget! I've never heard it before:

SOMEDAY/MAYBE AGREEMENT
I agree NOT to do anything about Someday/Maybe items except for reassessing them on some regular basis.

(You can only feel good about what you're not doing when you know what you're not doing.)

AndrewJMason

Registered
The thing that amazed me most was David's steadiness when her emotions were exposed. An almost Steve Jobs-esque calm to help her push through that moment instead of caving to the uneasiness....and she's better for it. Beautiful to watch.

David Parker

GTD Connect
John - Is there any way we can get a downloadable copy of this broadcast - MP4 for preference? I've tried a couple of ways without success. It's a real gem!

Dave

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
drparker48 said:
John - Is there any way we can get a downloadable copy of this broadcast - MP4 for preference? I've tried a couple of ways without success. It's a real gem! Dave

Dave, I'll ask Linda and post in reply here what I find out.

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
TesTeq said:
OMG! The real golden nugget! I've never heard it before:
SOMEDAY/MAYBE AGREEMENT
I agree NOT to do anything about Someday/Maybe items except for reassessing them on some regular basis.

For me, agreement management has always been an essential part of GTD. In some cases, that means explicitly saying what I'm not agreeing to, as well as what I am agreeing to.

So, TesTeq, I agree ( :) ) with your statement about this golden nugget.

hcparker

Registered
I don't post to the forums much, but I'm on this site a lot — reading posts and watching and listening to a lot of the other content. This video is absolutely one of the best things I've seen here! Can you put a link to this on the homepage? I think a lot of people would enjoy it, but they may miss it if the only way to access it is through this forum page.

Dave Edwards

Registered
Great video. I did feel sorry for the woman. It appears that she was not only overwhelmed but also embarrassed. I'm sure we didn't see the part where DA was sympathetic and helped her out with more than philosophy. Right?

Brungilda

Registered
Could someone explain why DA claims that notebook sucks? I don't quite get when he and Linda are discussing her pad and she started to cry...

Geeko

GTD since 2017
Could someone explain why DA claims that notebook sucks? I don't quite get when he and Linda are discussing her pad and she started to cry...
If I remember correctly (it’s been a while since I watched this great video), the problem here is that you can’t put single pages into your inbox without ripping them out of your journal. That way you either have to process the whole journal at once (which means that is in your inbox between capture and processing and therefore not easily accessible) or that your have to rip pages out which you won’t be able to paste back in again.
That’s why David recommends a loose leaf planner if you want to go paper-based. I tried to use a journal during my first months with GTD but had to switch to a planner due to handling reasons ;)
I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Tristan

Brungilda

Registered
Thanks Tristan. Could you please provide source where DA recommend binders before journals? Loose papers can easily be lost or misplaced, in binders they also can be damaged. As far as I can see, now most people end up with several inboxes anyways (at least digital - computer and/or phone, and physical - drawers or something like that), why not process journal periodically as another inbox (without putting directly in in-tray)?

Geeko

GTD since 2017
It's in chapter 10 of the book, section "Paper and Pads" (page 232 of the 2015-edition).
Anyway, you should limit the number of inboxes to as few as possible to have a better overview of your unprocessed material.

Cheers,
Tristan