Wallet/Notepad

M

Mike Ferguson

I guess this falls under "gear." The wallet DA Co is selling looks great but before it was available (unless I just hadn't scrolled down far enough) I was listening to David's live CD and heard him talk about the wallet/notepad thingy. The hunt was on because I knew I needed that pen and pad with me at all times. I found the perfect deal from the Swiss Army people, Wenger. This really is not a commercial, so I won't say more than that, but it is easy enough to find. Outside of using the GTD add-in for Outlook, I am decidedly "mid-tech" with my GTD efforts. The wallet/notepad is one of my favorite DA ideas.

I'll probably end up with the DavidCo version of the wallet eventually. You know, the Swiss Army folks put their little logo on everything, so my inner-geek becomes an "outer-geek" when I take my wallet out with its little red and silver logo.

My question, and I do have one, is about a pen. I'm using a Fisher Space Bullet Pen. It is the perfect size when closed (3.7 inches), normal pen size when open, and of course it writes at any angle, but the clip is a slip-on type and "grabs" the pen at a point that causes the pen to stick out of the wallet just slightly. The wallet is 4 3/4 inches long. Also, the pen tends to be a little slippery in my hand.

So I'm shpping for a pen. Is anyone using the Rotring offered by DavidCo? Does it write at all angles? Suggestions for other pens?

Seems very mundane, I know, but I enjoy note taking throughout the day and a good pen is critical, but its gotta fit the wallet. Thanks.

-Mike

Mark Jantzen

Registered
I think the Rotring pen that comes with the Note Taker wallet is awesome. It's a high quality pen and the perfect size (listen to me, now I sound like a commercial). The expand/collapse feature is great. I can't speak to writing upside down, but the quality is top notch.

Some have fairly criticized the price of the wallet/pen, but I'm very happy with my purchase. I use it all the time.

M

mochant

I agree - it just works

Mark Jantzen said:
I think the Rotring pen that comes with the Note Taker wallet is awesome. It's a high quality pen and the perfect size (listen to me, now I sound like a commercial). The expand/collapse feature is great. I can't speak to writing upside down, but the quality is top notch.

Some have fairly criticized the price of the wallet/pen, but I'm very happy with my purchase. I use it all the time.

Mark's right. While the NoteTaker wallet might seem expensive at first glance, it has more than proven its value to me. I carry mine everywhere (and have for more than two years) and like any piece of fine leather, it's broken in nicely.

The pen is terrific. You can often find the pen separately at fine stationary stores and often at FarnklinCovey stores (I picked up a great Rotring 4-in-1 pen there with a rollerball, pencil, highlighter, and PDA stylus tip).

M

mbacas

Re: Wallet/Notepad

Yes, the Rotring Espirit is a nice pen. Probably won't write at any angle like a space pen as it's not pressurized. There are some other nice pens out ther that would probably work. Depends on how much you want to spend. :)

Inexpensive, http://www.retro51.com and look for the Elite Tornado.

Expensive would be something like a MontBlanc Mozart, Caran d'Ache Mini, ST Dupont and others. http://www.joon.com has some on they main page in the bottom right hand corner.

Hope that helps,

- Mark, http://www.penpassion.com

jrdouce

Registered
Wallet/Notepad

I bought a note taker wallet from Colorado Pen in 1997 or 98, after taking the GTD class (still called something like "Managing Workflow, Actions and Priorities"). I used it heavily for years, it was very effective and convenient.

I use the voice recorder on my Tungsten now, but there are plenty of times I have my wallet and not my Palm. I may buy some refills and a cool new pen.

$100 isn't too bad if it's a quality leather wallet. Can anyone comment on that?

randystokes

Registered
I have the black leather Notetaker wallet currently sold on the David Allen Company website, and I can assure you it is first quality all the way. I actually had one of the brown leather wallets they no longer carry, and it didn't hold up very well. The pockets stretched too easily, the corners wore off, and after a while it just began looking shabby. (Jason and I have joked about this, because I ended up buying the last brown leather Notetaker wallet in stock, just as he was deciding that's the one he wanted!)

Anyway, not being deterred by that experience, I bought the newer black leather Notetaker wallet, and have not been disappointed. I've had it quite awhile now -- longer, I believe, than I had the brown leather version -- and it's showing no signs of wear. The pockets haven't stretched, the leather is still is great shape, etc. And I carry it with me EVERYWHERE. I mean, when the family sends me out for fast food, out comes the Notetaker wallet so I can write down everyone's order!

So, is the wallet expensive? Yeah, I guess. But in terms of the value I've gotten out of it, it has been one of the best investments I've made.

Randy

S

spring

I use the Cross Ion pen. Closed, it fits neatly in my back pocket with no sharp points or edges to catch on my clothes.

To write on, I take a 3"x5" card, fold it in half, and slide it into my back pocket with the pen. It fits perfectly, and the card stock is stiff enough to survive a couple of days of being sat on without getting ragged. If I write anything on it that day, I toss it into my Inbox when I get home and fold up another one to use tomorrow.

I'm satisfied with my current setup. Perhaps one day I will get a skinnier pen, but I'm already at dire risk of forgetting the one I have and sending it through the wash with my pants. I don't dare get a less intrusive one. :)

M

Mike Ferguson

Thanks everyone. I've ordered a couple of different pens to try out. I guess the DA wallet has been available for awhile and it was a case of me simply not scrolling down far enough. I laughed at Randy's post because my Wenger wallet comes out to take fast food order too (and grocery lists).

kglade

Registered
To make sure I always have a pen and paper with me, I use a very small swiss army knife that has a built-in pen, and a couple of small post-its stuck into my wallet.

When I am working, I usually carry in addtion my 3" x 6" daytimer wallet with a notebook inside. The daytimer wallet holds a pen, a few business cards, a few index cards, a few post-its, a credit-card sized magnifying glass, a couple of postage stamps, a blank check, an extra copy of my eyeglass prescription, a couple of paper clips, and a 3 year calendar on one 3 x 6 page.

Oh, and I also carry a PDA (Clie) as my main mobile GTD list manager, calendar and phone book.

Ken